110cc and Under Scooter Choice

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skipper20

110cc and Under Scooter Choice

Post by skipper20 »

Putting aside any Genuine Scooter bias, if you were faced with a buying decision, with the sellers' asking prices ranging from $1,200 to $1,500 for the following 4 scooters, which one would be your first choice? All are in good running and cosmetically good or better condition. None of them have more than 4,000 miles.

1. 2007 Genuine Rattler 110. Heavily modified including oil tank removal (premix only).

2. 2007 Genuine Rattler 110. Lightly modified with performance exhaust.

3. 2005 Yamaha Zuma 50 2 stroke. Completely stock.

4. 2015 Yamaha Zuma 50 4 stroke. " "

Please give your reason(s) for your first pick. Also, top speed is not a factor. Thanks!

Bill in Seattle
'84 nn50 Honda Gyro 50 red
'84 nn50 Honda Gyro 50 blue
'86 tg50 Honda Gyro S 50 red
'99 sr50 Honda Elite 50 purple
eggsalad

Re: 110cc and Under Scooter Choice

Post by eggsalad »

As far as I'm concerned, there isn't a valid comparison to be made. Licensing/registration/insurance issues aside, the bigger engine always wins. Between the two 110s, I prefer mine unmodified, but that's more of a personal choice.
vintagegarage

Post by vintagegarage »

2010 Honda Elite 110.. no doubt about it.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I hate buying a heavily modded scooter so I would pass on the pre-mix Rattler 110.

Might consider the lightly modded with exhaust if it still has its stock airbox. Pods equal trouble in my book.

The 4-stroke Zuma 50 is a good scooter if your'e just looking for reliable transport.

I've owned several bug-eye 2-stroke scooters. Great bikes and easy to mod in steps/stages.

So depending on your licensing requirements I would go for the lightly modded Rattler if it still has the original airbox.

OR

The 2-stroke big-eye if licensing is a problem.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

OK, if I take the 2 Rattler 110s out of the picture leaving the '05 2t and the '15 4t Zuma 50s, which would be your choice? Again, speed is not a factor. At my advanced age I'm perfectly OK with 35 mph tops as I'm now confined to the neighborhood side streets where posted speed limits are 25 - 35. Reliability is my top priority. I know. This is a Genuine forum not a Yamaha forum. But I do remember from past threads, there are one or more Yamaha enthusiasts on board so if they're listening, I'd appreciate their inputs. Thanks, Bill in Seattle
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Zuma 4-stroke. I know several people out my way that own them and the owners report no issues. And these little things have 20+ thousand miles and have been dropped multiple times. I almost picked up a new 4-stroke Zuma 50 but Yamaha no longer imports them. The Yamaha C3 has the same motor as the Zuma 4-stroke but they are hard to find used.
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

Now that I have a better understanding of your wants, I have a "left field" suggestion to look for - the Honda Elite 80. At least around here, they're sort of a bastard child, because they're not much better than a 50cc (and certainly not a de-restricted 50), but you have to pay for full insurance and registration and they require an MC endorsement. TBH, it was kind of a dumb scooter to offer in the States. But that means they are usually offered for the really low dollar - often cheaper than a 50!! And if reliability and durability are what you seek, it's hard to beat a Honda.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

You're still playing this game of mental masturbation after all these years? Can't make up your mind? Looking to others for input? At some point, you buy a bike and ride it. A 110 rattler is a crappy choice no matter how you look at it. In most states it requires the same registration and license as a Harley Road King. Dollar for dollar the best scooter out there is a Buddy 125.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Buddy 125 is a no-brainer for sure. I couldn't go back to a 50cc for my current riding needs. I assumed skipper20 already has a scooter and was considering downsizing. I found my sweet spot in the 125-150cc category. As tempted as I am to upgrade by adding another Honda SIlverwing scooter to the family (wife has one but it's triked) I still enjoy my lighter/more nimble Liberty 150. DeeDee knows something we don't?
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I doubt I know a thing more than the next guy. Skipper20 comes here about every 15 months asking the same questions with a different set of scooters. Makes me think he's looking for company more than sensible direction. I have a 50cc and a 400cc. I put 3X the miles on the 50 I do on the Burgman. Life seems to move at a better pace on the 50cc. The 400 can get anywhere a car can get. I don't see much challenge in that. To me a 110cc two stroke seems like the worst of all worlds.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I was unaware that this opinion thread has been posted before, and before. Either way, we talked about scooters and that's always fun! I hear ya DeeDee on the 110cc 2-stroke being a bit much. I got 2-stroked out, to the point a friend came all the way from Florida for a free minty 98 Zuma-in boxes! I started to finish my overhaul on it and lost interest. It was a rolling chassis. Tossed in the Corbin seat, new Yasuni Z exhaust, new Malossi 50cc race cylinder and new Dellorto 17.5 carb. Plus a bunch of sealed OEM Yamaha parts. New owner almost has it back together. Love scooters, dislike doing certain services nowadays. IF I ever down size I'll get either a Zuma 50cc 4-stroke or track down an elusive C3!
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I've owned 5 C3s since 2011. This is my most recent. It hits 48.8mph GPS verified and gets 115mpg. I sold one last summer with 34,000 miles on it. It's still going strong. Image
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

DeeDee wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:29 pm I doubt I know a thing more than the next guy. Skipper20 comes here about every 15 months asking the same questions with a different set of scooters. Makes me think he's looking for company more than sensible direction. I have a 50cc and a 400cc. I put 3X the miles on the 50 I do on the Burgman. Life seems to move at a better pace on the 50cc. The 400 can get anywhere a car can get. I don't see much challenge in that. To me a 110cc two stroke seems like the worst of all worlds.
Thanks DeeDee for your reply. I didn't realize you were keeping track of my questions re different sets of scooters. Wow. Every 15 months? Those questions and scooter sets must have been memorable. So, why is a 110cc two stroke the worst of all worlds? In Genuine's case, the Rattler 110 is nothing more than a Roughhouse 50 with a digital dash and a bit more than twice the engine displacement. Please give us your reasons. Others may be interested too. Notwithstanding, wishing you and yours a very Happy, Prosperous and Safe New Year! Be well,

Bill in Seattle :)
'84 nn50 Honda Gyro red
'84 nn50 Honda Gyro blue
'86 tg50 Honda Gyro S red
tenders

Post by tenders »

DeeDee wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:29 pm I doubt I know a thing more than the next guy. Skipper20 comes here about every 15 months asking the same questions with a different set of scooters. Makes me think he's looking for company more than sensible direction. I have a 50cc and a 400cc. I put 3X the miles on the 50 I do on the Burgman. Life seems to move at a better pace on the 50cc. The 400 can get anywhere a car can get. I don't see much challenge in that. To me a 110cc two stroke seems like the worst of all worlds.
I have greatly enjoyed the Gyromaster’s posts, and hope that comments like this and the “mental masturbation” one do not deter him from contributing further.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Give me a choice of a mint 110cc Rattler or a tatty Buddy 125 and I'll happily pick the Buddy! Both require a M class. Go buy that lightly modded Rattler you found and live with it for awhile. All my 2-strokes ended up becoming weekend toys for a reason. Whats weird is I rode a 50cc 2-stroke for years as a commuter, bone stock for that reason. When I upgraded to something faster the dealer had a Rattler 110 in stock. I didn't even look at it. Went straight to happy Buddy 125 ownership. Even bought a second Buddy 125 for the wife.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

tenders wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:00 pm
I have greatly enjoyed the Gyromaster’s posts, and hope that comments like this and the “mental masturbation” one do not deter him from contributing further.
OK, accepting the risk of being accused of self-pleasuring my mental status, I'll report that I bought the '05 (it was actually an '04) Yamaha Zuma 50 2 stroke. I did try out a Rattler 110 but as has already been opined, it was a bit much. Anyway, I do like the Zuma 50. For me, it's a perfect fit. BIW, in my younger years when I was in my mid 70s to early 80s, I owned and rode just about everything Genuine distributed from a Roughhouse 50 to a Blur 220 including 2 Buddy 125s. My favorite was a Buddy 170i Italia. With its white sidewall tires and 2 tone olive green paint scheme, it was a real chick magnet.

Bill in Seattle who will turn 88 later this year
'84 nn50 Honda Gyro 50 red
'84 nn50 Honda Gyro 50 blue
'86 tg50 Honda Gyro 50 S red
'04 YW50S Yamaha Zuma 50 red
tenders

Post by tenders »

Love that, Bill. Ride that Zuma like you stole it!
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Nice choice! Zumas are still a slight weak spot for me. I no longer own a 50cc because I replaced it with a ebike. I know the Zuma better than the factory that built it! You can put spacers under the front hinge of the seat to raise it up if you find yourself sliding forward. The dual headlight mod is suggested if riding at night. They are very reliable scooters. What color did you end up with?
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Red. My favorite scooter color.
Tanay Kar

Post by Tanay Kar »

I'm concerned, there isn't a valid comparison to be made. Licensing/registration/insurance issues aside, the bigger engine always wins. Between the two 110s, I prefer mine unmodified, but that's more of a personal choice.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

As soon as you put the Buddy 125 among the choices, the discussion is pretty much over in my opinion. I still have an '07 Buddy 125 that was purchased new. Runs like a top. Never done anything to it but routine maintenance. Used to have a Yamaha Vino 125. Also very reliable, but the Buddy would run away from it. Now have a Buddy Kick 125 - so my partner and I can ride together. The Kick is a nice ride and appears to be a worthy successor to the long tradition of excellent Genuine 125s.
Buddy Kick, Vespa GTS/ABS, Buddy 125 (my SO's ride)