Buddy 50 009.JPG
Buddy 50 009.JPG (145.9 KiB) Viewed 1626 times
Buddy 50 008.JPG
Buddy 50 008.JPG (193.2 KiB) Viewed 1626 times
Buddy 50 002.JPG
Buddy 50 002.JPG (177.16 KiB) Viewed 1626 times
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

Hey Mikie, how do you like that YSS gas piggy back shock? I've been thinking about one of those for about a year now. Worth the money?
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Mikie M.

Post by Mikie M. »

jasondavis48108 wrote:Hey Mikie, how do you like that YSS gas piggy back shock? I've been thinking about one of those for about a year now. Worth the money?

Absolutely! Scootertronics has the best price, and includes shipping.
After I installed the new YSS (5 minutes work) I took a test hop and noticed (and felt) a remarkable difference. It is fully adjustable. My scooters rearend has so far stayed well planted on some really tight turns.
jasondavis48108

Mikie M. wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:Hey Mikie, how do you like that YSS gas piggy back shock? I've been thinking about one of those for about a year now. Worth the money?

Absolutely! Scootertronics has the best price, and includes shipping.
After I installed the new YSS (5 minutes work) I took a test hop and noticed (and felt) a remarkable difference. It is fully adjustable. My scooters rearend has so far stayed well planted on some really tight turns.
excellent, thats really good to know, so I can move the shock from my maybe to my definitely list :D
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Tony McGurk

Post by Tony McGurk »

Love that registration plate 8)
Been Scooterin' since March '2010 & luvin' it :-)
malakai

How practical is a 50 cc scooter?

Post by malakai »

What is the use of a scooter that cannot go faster than... I don't know, maybe 35 mph? What streets can you drive it on? Most streets have a limit of 40-45 on middle town America. Maybe you guys use them in other areas??? I just wonder... I myself feel more comfortable in that range but to keep up with traffic you need more power. I want to know, where do you ride them or can they be pushed up to 45 mph?
White, 2009 125 Buddy !
malakai

Post by malakai »

What is the use of a scooter that cannot go faster than... I don't know, maybe 35 mph? What streets can you drive it on? Most streets have a limit of 40-45 on middle town America. Maybe you guys use them in other areas??? I just wonder... I myself feel more comfortable in that range but to keep up with traffic you need more power. I want to know, where do you ride them or can they be pushed up to 45 mph?
White, 2009 125 Buddy !
malakai

Post by malakai »

White, 2009 125 Buddy !
jasondavis48108

Re: How practical is a 50 cc scooter?

malakai wrote:What is the use of a scooter that cannot go faster than... I don't know, maybe 35 mph? What streets can you drive it on? Most streets have a limit of 40-45 on middle town America. Maybe you guys use them in other areas??? I just wonder... I myself feel more comfortable in that range but to keep up with traffic you need more power. I want to know, where do you ride them or can they be pushed up to 45 mph?
The Buddy 50 can hit 40mph if its de-restricted and it can push almost 50mph if you get the performance pipe and rejet. The Buddy 50 has a Minerelli Horizontal based engine in it so there are lots of mods and upgrades for it so basically its not too hard to have the little buddy going 55-60 mph. That being said, there are lots of roads in my area that are 35-45mph but have two lanes. If you stick to the right lane they work just fine. I roade my Buddy 50 basically stock for 2 and a half years with no real issues and tehre were very few roads I avoided due to its lower speed. TVB has even toured much of michigan on his Buddy 50, they really are great little scooters.
malakai

Post by malakai »

The Buddy 50 can hit 40mph if its de-restricted and it can push almost 50mph if you get the performance pipe and rejet. The Buddy 50 has a Minerelli Horizontal based engine in it so there are lots of mods and upgrades for it so basically its not too hard to have the little buddy going 55-60 mph. That being said, there are lots of roads in my area that are 35-45mph but have two lanes. If you stick to the right lane they work just fine. I roade my Buddy 50 basically stock for 2 and a half years with no real issues and tehre were very few roads I avoided due to its lower speed. TVB has even toured much of michigan on his Buddy 50, they really are great little scooters.[/quote]

I do not doubt it is great, I own a 125cc Buddy. Aren't the alterations making it jump to the cost of the 125 cc? Also, if you are closer to big cities there are less cities with that kind of limit that can fit into the 50cc power. My thinking is that's too much trouble unles sone likes to tinker with things, which is a great hobby and if the results are good, well... go for it. It is a really beautiful scooter, specially in black [and white ;-) ].
White, 2009 125 Buddy !
jasondavis48108

malakai wrote:The Buddy 50 can hit 40mph if its de-restricted and it can push almost 50mph if you get the performance pipe and rejet. The Buddy 50 has a Minerelli Horizontal based engine in it so there are lots of mods and upgrades for it so basically its not too hard to have the little buddy going 55-60 mph. That being said, there are lots of roads in my area that are 35-45mph but have two lanes. If you stick to the right lane they work just fine. I roade my Buddy 50 basically stock for 2 and a half years with no real issues and tehre were very few roads I avoided due to its lower speed. TVB has even toured much of michigan on his Buddy 50, they really are great little scooters.
I do not doubt it is great, I own a 125cc Buddy. Aren't the alterations making it jump to the cost of the 125 cc? Also, if you are closer to big cities there are less cities with that kind of limit that can fit into the 50cc power. My thinking is that's too much trouble unles sone likes to tinker with things, which is a great hobby and if the results are good, well... go for it. It is a really beautiful scooter, specially in black [and white ;-) ].[/quote]

I live in the midwest so not too sure about big cities. I really don't like big cities and highly doubt I will ever find myself in one let alone on a scooter :lol: I agree if you want soemthing that will do 55mph stock then the Buddy 50 isn't for you. If you want soemthing that will get you around a town like Ann Arbor michigan then its great. I also love to tinker with it and that's the reason that I kept mine when I bought the Honda sh150i. If I need to go fast with a high degree of reliability then I take the sh150, if I want to go somewhere, get there eventually, and have a blast getting there then i take the Buddy 50. The Buddy 50 is super easy to work on and has tons and tons of performance parts for it so for someone who likes working on thier scooter its a great one to own. Don't get me wrong, the Buddy 125 has its place, but I wouldn't trade my Buddy 50 for a Buddy 125, no way. Another reason folks love the buddy 50 is that its a 2T so if you leave it stock its super low maintnance.
malakai

yes!

Post by malakai »

Good answer!
White, 2009 125 Buddy !