Genuine Roughhouse 50 carb

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Rumplypluto

Genuine Roughhouse 50 carb

Post by Rumplypluto »

Okay quick question

I have the standard 50cc carb fitted and since changing to a different exhaust the bike is now running very rich.

The only adjustment is the idle speed screw which won’t help.

So I have uncovered the none slotted mix screw. If I cut a small groove in it with dremel will it turn or is it just a blanking plate?

Don’t really want to fork out $200 for an adjustable one if I can help it
tenders

Post by tenders »

I don't have a Roughhouse, and I don't know much about mods, but if you've upped the exhaust, isn't it more likely to be running lean rather than rich?

The screw you're referring to only adjusts the idle air/fuel mixture. Typically when you change the displacement, exhaust, or intake, the high speed jet size needs to be increased. The screw only governs a very small and less-critical portion of the range of the engine (less critical at least in terms of performance and longevity).

It is possible that if you haven't changed the intake or the displacement that you don't need to do much to the carb - but don't quote me on that.
Stanza

Re: Genuine Roughhouse 50 carb

Post by Stanza »

Rumplypluto wrote:Okay quick question

I have the standard 50cc carb fitted and since changing to a different exhaust the bike is now running very rich.

The only adjustment is the idle speed screw which won’t help.

So I have uncovered the none slotted mix screw. If I cut a small groove in it with dremel will it turn or is it just a blanking plate?

Don’t really want to fork out $200 for an adjustable one if I can help it
What makes you think it's running rich? Extra smoke? Fouling the plug? Typically when swapping exhaust, you run leaner than stock since the stock pipe is fairly restrictive, and has a catalytic convertor. If you are basing the idea that you're running rich on your exhaust smoke, keep in mind that most aftermarket pipes don't have a catalytic convertor, and you will see a little more smoke as a result.