Roughouses in Hawaii

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

birdmove

Roughouses in Hawaii

Post by birdmove »

Can a Roughhouse owner confirm that the model is classed as a moped in hawaii?
Last edited by birdmove on Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii
birdmove

Post by birdmove »

Sorry for the title. That should have been, Roughouses in Hawaii. Dam Kindle Fire 7 and its spell check!
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

Hawaii statute §286-2 Definitions:

"Moped" means a device upon which a person may ride which has two or three wheels in contact with the ground,

(Yes. A Roughhouse 50 has 2 wheels in contact with the ground)

a motor having a maximum power output capability measured at the motor output shaft, in accordance with the Society of Automotive Engineers standards, of two horsepower (one thousand four hundred ninety-two watts) or less

(Unknown. Genuine Scooter website does not list a horsepower rating for the Roughhouse 50)

and, if it is a combustion engine, a maximum piston or rotor displacement of 3.05 cubic inches (fifty cubic centimeters)

(Yes. The listed engine displacement of a Roughhouse 50 is 49.7 cubic centimeters)

and which will propel the moped, unassisted, on a level surface at a maximum speed no greater than thirty miles per hour;

(Yes. The Roughhouse 50 is factory-equipped with a 30mph speed restrictor)

and a direct or automatic power drive system which requires no clutch or gear shift operation by the moped driver after the drive system is engaged with the power unit.

(Yes. The Roughhouse 50 uses a CVT-type transmission, and has neither clutch nor gear shift controls)
---------------------------
I think it's fairly safe to assume the Roughhouse 50cc engine is under 2 horsepower.

I'm not in Hawaii, and I don't own a Roughhouse, so you may not want to trust my opinion, and I can accept that. But I'd bet a quarter that the State of Hawaii would classify a Roughhouse 50 as a moped.
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

Thing is... if you're buying a Roughhouse 50 from a dealer, the dealer will probably know if Hawaii considers it to be a moped. And if you're buying a second-hand Roughhouse 50, I would think the person selling it to you would be able to show you the title upon which it is classified as a moped.
Therealslimshaggy

Re: Roughouses in Hawaii

Post by Therealslimshaggy »

It’s definitely a moped in Hawaii. I have lived in Hawaii many years. The tourists shops rent the roughhouse and buddy 50 to people of all countries who do not have motorcycle licenses or endorsements. Hawaii is unique. Also some strange scooters there you never see in mainland USA. Derbi 50cc cpi 50cc etc. big moped scene there. A few rare scooters to. Nice Honda sh 150 out there.
Yamaha Aerox 155, Genuine Roughhouse 50, Genuine buddy 170i, Yamaha Cygnus 125, Honda grom 125, Suzuki address 110 (uk110), Yamaha cuxi 115, Yamaha BWS 100 2t, Yamaha R6, Honda CR125, Kawasaki KX 500