Carb Cleaned, Now Won't Start

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

halflifesw

Carb Cleaned, Now Won't Start

Post by halflifesw »

Hello, I have a Genuine Roughhouse 50 that is only a few years old and has 250 miles. It started, autochoke worked, and ran fine. It would stall out due to low rpm once and a while so I figured I would take the carb off and clean it. Cleaned it, blew it out with air, didn't look too dirty to begin with.

I put everything back together, did it 2 times actually. All electrical connections seem tight. The spark plug is sparking, and it's getting gas to the carb.

It won't even start with starting fluid.

Is there anything I am missing or needed to do that I didn't? Started right up, should have followed the mantra if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Thank you
stepconti

Re: Carb Cleaned, Now Won't Start

Post by stepconti »

I am having the same issue. except my roughhouse sat for 2 years before i cleaned the carb and replaced spark plug and battery. Hopefully you get an answer....

I just purchased a new CDI box and today I am going to replace the fuse

halflifesw wrote:Hello, I have a Genuine Roughhouse 50 that is only a few years old and has 250 miles. It started, autochoke worked, and ran fine. It would stall out due to low rpm once and a while so I figured I would take the carb off and clean it. Cleaned it, blew it out with air, didn't look too dirty to begin with.

I put everything back together, did it 2 times actually. All electrical connections seem tight. The spark plug is sparking, and it's getting gas to the carb.

It won't even start with starting fluid.

Is there anything I am missing or needed to do that I didn't? Started right up, should have followed the mantra if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Thank you
halflifesw

Post by halflifesw »

Yeah I am pretty sure I put everything together the way it came apart but obviously something got messed up. I took it apart a few other times but nothing different. I just dropped it off at a scooter shop today so I am curious to what they find and I'll post here if you're curious.
Feral_Sparky

Post by Feral_Sparky »

halflifesw wrote:Yeah I am pretty sure I put everything together the way it came apart but obviously something got messed up. I took it apart a few other times but nothing different. I just dropped it off at a scooter shop today so I am curious to what they find and I'll post here if you're curious.
Did you remove the spacer between the carb and the intake? Make sure its right side up, Its an odd oval shape and only goes on one way.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Feral_Sparky wrote:
halflifesw wrote:Yeah I am pretty sure I put everything together the way it came apart but obviously something got messed up. I took it apart a few other times but nothing different. I just dropped it off at a scooter shop today so I am curious to what they find and I'll post here if you're curious.
Did you remove the spacer between the carb and the intake? Make sure its right side up, Its an odd oval shape and only goes on one way.

Not only that, but make sure it's not on backwards as well. O ring side should be against the intake tube. Otherwise helloooooo air leak.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

I would check compression to be honest......it someone tried to get it to run with a plugged carburetor and ran lean and hot, it might have cooked the rings. Roughhouse should be in the 140psi range, below 120 and it will struggle to idle. Below 100 and it won't do anything besides cough and barely idle with the throttle held wide open.
Rumplypluto

Post by Rumplypluto »

Have you re filled the bowl?

I say this because I removed and re jetted my carb for the first time today and then couldn’t get it to start. Then remembered that there needs to be a vacuum on the petcock to allow fuel to run into the bowl.

Stuck a syringe on the vacuum pipe to draw a slight vacuum for 20 seconds.

Re attached vacuum pipe and the old chap fired up perfectly.