Roughouse First Service, what needs to be done exactly

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Seamusal

Post by Seamusal »

I have new RH I have changed the gear oil at 275 miles and will take to dealer to do First Service soon , dealer stated between 300-500 miles also so not to miss out on Warranty. What exactly should be done during this maintenance check? Its gonna cost $150 but he will de-restrict it also.
OBX Dan

Post by OBX Dan »

I have the same scooter. They de-restricted it before delivery. I never brought it back in for the first service because there isn't really anything to do. There is no engine oil to change and no valves to adjust. It's just to make sure the brakes are working and adjusted(rear) I guess. Make sure the front brake fluid is not leaking and in good shape. I honestly can't think of one thing you need done except the de-restrict.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

I'd be careful with that though......Warranty card on mine says 500 mile "inspection", and that missing it voids the warranty. I do my own work, but if it keeps the warranty happy, I'd rather let the dealership do their thing when needed.
OBX Dan

Post by OBX Dan »

Stanza wrote:I'd be careful with that though......Warranty card on mine says 500 mile "inspection", and that missing it voids the warranty. I do my own work, but if it keeps the warranty happy, I'd rather let the dealership do their thing when needed.
True. I've passed the 2 year point already though thankfully.
OBX Dan

Post by OBX Dan »

Best 50 hands down. 2T.
Seamusal

Post by Seamusal »

On yeah, just went 1K cruises down the road between 35-40 mph,does go higher but what's the point. Keep Scootin!!!
OBX Dan

Re: Roughouse First Service, what needs to be done exactly

Post by OBX Dan »

Seamusal wrote:On yeah, just went 1K cruises down the road between 35-40 mph,does go higher but what's the point. Keep Scootin!!!
I'm getting ready for a big service at the end of the summer. New Conti tires, NCY trans upgrade, black performance pipe(not the prima) and re-jetting to 90, new brake pads and brake shoes, change the brake fluid. Gonna be ready for many miles more!
tosovic.nemanja

Post by tosovic.nemanja »

Hi, all.

I am new to this forum. I just got a 2018 RH and love it! I am the second owner and want to make sure the bike is well taken care of.

In the last few days I put about 250 miles on it as I ride it allover town and want to learn how to take care of it.

Can someone give me tips regarding engine oil, gear oil, filters... changes.

I never owned a motorcycle before and want to learn how to keep it well maintained.

Can someone give me some name brands and links to which oils to use, spark plugs, ...
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I use Yamalube 2-stroke oil, 2S, with one of the vehicles in the little 4 vehicle montage being a Zuma bug eye. Good stuff thats easy to find and not crazy overpriced. 1 quart should last around 600ish miles. For spark plugs I run NGK. There are technically no oil filters to change-its a 2 stroke, the only filter would be the air filter. I stay with OEM stock air filters. Gear oil is whatever brand you run across as long as its the correct weight. I run 10-30 synthetic in my gear box for the Zuma's and have never had an issue. I think one of them actually calls for 10-30 but I dont remember if it was my 98 pre-bug or my 03 bug-eye. Finally, make it a habit to check your tire pressure and keep the scooter clean. Checking the tire pressure gets you used to looking for fluid leaks on the wheels, gear oil on the rear and brake and/or fork oil fluid on the front, and for any cuts or items stuck in the tires. Keeping it clean helps you look good riding it!
tosovic.nemanja

Post by tosovic.nemanja »

Thank you! I’ve been taking good care of it. Just yesterday I had a freaking bug inside of my speedo, was annoying me so much. After a little online research I found out that it’s so easy to take all of the parts. Literally anything can be done with a couple of tools. Taking the covers off gave me the opportunity to clean everything very well! As for the engine oil, I bought valvoline multi purpose 2 stroke oil. Do you think that will do?