rh50 minor stock exhaust upgrade choices

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

magnetb0y

rh50 minor stock exhaust upgrade choices

Post by magnetb0y »

I've been kicking around upgrading the exhaust(s) on my two roughhouses.
They are derestricted, 7gm rollers, but otherwise stock.
My friend tells me to go with the standard scooterworks Prima performance:
https://www.scooterworks.com/Sport-Exha ... 12689.aspx
But I also found Malossi, Technigas and Polini:
https://www.scootertuning.ca/en/3017-exhaust-systems
and also found Gianelli?!?
https://www.ebay.com/i/162775278037?chn=ps

They all look comparable, I would assume that Malossi, Technigas, Polini and maybe Gianelli have some slight advantage over the Prima.
But they all appear to be the "just better than stock upjet to 90+" models.
I am just looking for a little more kick, but to go through all the work with about 5 choices in the same price point was curious if anyone had any experience with any other of these besides the Prima.
magnetb0y

Post by magnetb0y »

so anyway, I bought the Polini based on being told that Polini, Malossi and Prima stock replacement style were almost identical, installed it today, doesnt fit well. think I have a leak. and I may try upjetting, not sure.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

If you put on an aftermarket exhaust, be sure to upjet. The Roughhouse already runs on the hot side, and you don't want to pop that top end.
magnetb0y

Post by magnetb0y »

Thanks! I did upjet to a 90, so far so good, re-tightened the flange. Now it seems like I might need to drop the variator. cant remember what I had 7s or 6.5s, needs to go down a half I think, low end a minor minor bog, but seems to be more midrange, havent been able to top it out yet.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

If the low end is bogging, you may need to adjust the mixture screw (which is conveniently covered from the factory). Set it a little richer, and you should eliminate that bog.
magnetb0y

Post by magnetb0y »

Is there a pic online where people break the cover off the screw? I mean, I reallllly don't want to crack my case to get at a idler screw. No siree bob.
magnetb0y

Post by magnetb0y »

So I drove it some more and the bog seems less noticable, in fact it is screaming with this pipe!! I totlally recommend the Polini. The pickup is much quicker, I have stilll not had enough road to get a top speed but hit about 47 so far. Great pipe. Wondering if I should buy their variator as well.