brand new 2017 roughhouse sport speed??

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Ruffhouse50sport

brand new 2017 roughhouse sport speed??

Post by Ruffhouse50sport »

hello, this is my first post here and I'm in need of some help.
i just got a brand new 2017 roughhouse sport model with the prima brush guards and cowl guards. looks really mean! i asked the dealer to derestrict it for me and im clocking at top speed with GPS at 39mph. now it is brand new and not broken in yet. ive been very easy on the throttle up until i hit 50 miles on it and did a couple WOT passes. i feel like maybe they didnt derestrict it. i will be taking it apart to look for myself. also have a huge set of stage 6 variator rollers so i was going to swap out weights while i was in there but i have no idea what weights to start with. i am 195lbs by the way . should my scoot be going faster. ive heard off people getting like 49 to 50 mph on theirs after derestriction.
Attachments
Resized_PicsArt_07-14-04.42.39 (1).jpeg
Resized_PicsArt_07-14-04.42.39 (1).jpeg (156.31 KiB) Viewed 10660 times
KooK

Post by KooK »

That is probably all you are going to get. I have a 2015 rh, non sport derestricted. I never see the red of the Speedo. I got unlucky and apparently got a slow one.

Changing the weights won't help speed, but it helped overall drivability of the rh. Welcome aboard. You will love the rh... I do. Just wish it was a tad bit faster...
Ruffhouse50sport

UPDATE: since yesterday I got off work and took the cvt cover off and BINGO

the variator restrictor was still on. Im going to have a little "chat" with my

dealer as I paid $40 for them to derestrict and they only did half the job. I did

take the exhaust off to find no restrictor plate there. so as of now I have 70

miles on my RH and GPS clocked in at 42 with throttle still left. Unfortunately

the speedo was reading 50 so its way off as suspected from reading about

everyone elses. I am however loving it and enjoying the small top end increase.

I will post updates on possible speed increases over engine break in period.
dusty roads

Post by dusty roads »

I think the weight makes a real difference on the hills, but on the level I doubt it makes a great deal of difference. I weigh 200...well usually about 203 on my bathroom scales. In have had it de restricted (both ring and washer) but have had no more done..everything else stock . Here is what I just posted in another thread :
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
got my 2015 new leftover Roughhouse at the end of April. In that 3.5 months I have put about 1865 miles on it. I got it derestricted at nearly 500 miles.
Before derestriction it would read about 40 mph on the speedometer (I don't have a GPS).
Now it easily hits 50 mph on the level, but on good running I hold it to about 45. On some of the tough hills around here, I would get down to 5-7 mph near the top, now on those same hills I am hitting 18-20.
Initially I thought acceleration had improved, but on further use I doubt it has.
I had thought I would run the 50cc for a while and then go to a 125 or 150cc.
Now, I am happy with the Rh just the way it is.
Word of caution: I live in the "enchanted mountains" area in NY so there is often some hill climbing involved. Last Friday I was doing some of what I call "hill skipping". That is getting a good run down one hill so as to scoot right up the next. I was going down one hill and giving it about half throttle. The speedo was reading over in the gray about where 60 mph would be...when suddenly my exhaust got much louder. I finished my ride (about 2 miles), and got home to find I had blown the cover off my second filter. No problem, and I put it back on...but I will now keep it nearer the 50 mph (speedometer) when going downhill.
luckyscroller788

Post by luckyscroller788 »

Just in case your dealer didn't warn you, your warranty on your new scooter is void once you derestrict it.
Ruffhouse50sport

worse come to worse ill go buy the exhaust restrictor and stick the variator ring back on before dropping it off at the dealer lol
Ruffhouse50sport

UPDATE: So far ive did the 200 mile checkup and im now sitting at 350 miles.

Top Speed hasn't changed. speedometer indicated at 50mph is GPS verified at 42mph.

Top speed with no wind was reached about 45.6 mph on GPS and the speedometer was indicated right at the P on the MPH but we barely get a windyless day in south florida.

I ordered 7g dr pulley sliders and tried that out but with a very unnoticeable change in acceleration and loss of top speed i've changed them back to my stock roller weights.

That is really it for now. just going to ride it everyday to work unless its raining. planned on upgrading to the prima pipe and do the NYC CVT upgrades but wont be doing that until i put some miles on it.

also i wanted to mention that my good friend got a 2017 honda ruckus and we ride alongside pretty well. He has dr pulley sliders and that little 4 stroke beats me off the line but my RH had a 2mph top speed over him so for long distances ill keep my speed.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

luckyscroller788 wrote:Just in case your dealer didn't warn you, your warranty on your new scooter is void once you derestrict it.
As long as the dealer does the work no its not. And if memory serves me the stock weights are 7.5 grams. So your 7's only shaved off 1/2 a gram. 6 - 6.5 gram weights are the goto weights in most cases, won't increase top end but will give you a nice boost at takeoff. Congrats on your RH.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
Ruffhouse50sport

see I was always confused by the chart from scooterworks. https://www.scooterworks.com/blog/2012/ ... ize-chart/

it states that the RH 50 has 7.5/8.5 rollers which I cant figure out what that exactly means.

either way if i put some 6.5 rollers in and get a better acceleration am i going to notice a huge loss in top speed if any at all?

Im all about getting a better performance but the town Im in is pretty open
and id rather have the most speed possible right now.

thanks for your reply.
Attachments
roller weights.PNG
roller weights.PNG (31.23 KiB) Viewed 10575 times
luckyscroller788

Post by luckyscroller788 »

agrogod wrote:
luckyscroller788 wrote:Just in case your dealer didn't warn you, your warranty on your new scooter is void once you derestrict it.
As long as the dealer does the work no its not. And if memory serves me the stock weights are 7.5 grams. So your 7's only shaved off 1/2 a gram. 6 - 6.5 gram weights are the goto weights in most cases, won't increase top end but will give you a nice boost at takeoff. Congrats on your RH.
I wont argue with you, but that's not the case regarding the warranty, derestricting regardless of who does it can void the warranty.
JonRH50S

Post by JonRH50S »

Ruffhouse50sport wrote:worse come to worse ill go buy the exhaust restrictor and stick the variator ring back on before dropping it off at the dealer lol
this is false, it does not void anything
Feral_Sparky

Post by Feral_Sparky »

The factory warranty is not void when you de restrict it. Infact they send instructions to their dealerships on how to do it for you. They restrict it out of the factory so that they dont have to pay higher fee's for a faster scooter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE9GeRgJyaM
OBX Dan

Post by OBX Dan »

I have a 2016 RH Sport. I can peg the speedo but scooter speedos are always optimistic. I'm thinking about getting a stage 2 kit(pipe and 70cc kit) which won't really help top speed but you will get there much quicker!

The RH is a helluva bike. Unfortunately I live on the ocean and corrosion is horrible. Still, even with the rust, my RH runs like a top. All I've done is change the brake fluid and tires and used a good oil(motul 710).
Schlappy

Re: brand new 2017 roughhouse sport speed??

Post by Schlappy »

@ Ruffhouse50sport:
In your variator, don't confuse a spacer for a restrictor! You can remove it, but it's there to manage belt travel. Some might say it'll allow the bell halves get closer together and allow the belt to travel out further, which might be true, at highest rpm's, but will probably be a tradeoff at low rpm takeoff and even then there may be no noticeable change.
The only de-restricting off my 2016 Roughhouse 50 Sport was the exhaust gasket. Replace that with a standard gasket but don't not have a gasket. Top speeds wot in ideal conditions is around 40mph +/- which is not bad. The speedometer is purposely off by 10% to discourage the encourageable.
I live in a hilly area so I went with a 72cc Big bore kit, aftermarket street performance pipe, reeds and variator, swapped out to lighter 6 gram sliders, up jetted both idle and main jets, pulled out the snorkel in the stock air box and switched to a stock carb with an adjustable air screw. I add a half cap's worth of 2t motor oil just like what's in the reserve on every fill up.
Very much larger cc's would require liquid cooling and I kept the carb because I don't want to have to pre-mix and larger ones will ramp up the rpm's and the stock crank is friendly under 10,000 so to keep the temps' and bearing wear under control.
I can enjoy 30+ mph up 6 degree slopes and top speeds of around 50+ of the mph.
zino

Re: brand new 2017 roughhouse sport speed??

Post by zino »

2019 roughhouse 41-42 mph

schlappy what is your set up ?

I have a 2019 and I have a couple street pipes to choose from on my shelf .
Which one are you using and did you jhave to mod the mountng bracket
I bought a main jet kit.
which pilot did you go up to?
Malossi 70cc
I have purchased the NCY Golden Variator and NCY secondary slider.

I have tuned a few Zumas up with kits pipes carb and trans upgrades