Leaking Fluid under Engine:

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

echondrite

Leaking Fluid under Engine:

Post by echondrite »

Hello, noticed my entire underside of the engine is coated with fluid(oil/Fuel). The kickstands, plastic shroud, literally dripping when I crawled under the scoot. Have seen small puddles under scoot after parking for a day as well.

Could the cylinder be geting too much fuel due the the bigger carb??

70cc BB, 26mm carb, large manifold, 45 main jet, needle one notch down, K&N cone filter, prima pipe.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

If you have swapped out the pipe and manifold, make sure bolts are tight and gaskets look okay. And that the oil supply hose is snug on the intake. Start with the easy stuff first. Is it fuel or is it oil? Crank case oil or 2t oil?

You may have to clean off the scoot really well and run it a bit. That might help to locate what is coming from where.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
juice

Post by juice »

I dont think the rough house has crankcase oil , it could be 2 stroke oil or fuel oil mixture or transmission oil . Good luck .
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

juice wrote:I dont think the rough house has crankcase oil , it could be 2 stroke oil or fuel oil mixture or transmission oil . Good luck .
And you would be correct. If its coming out from directly under the scooter it may be coming from your 2-stroke reservoir.Is it colored solid blue or kind of an off blue?
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

Damnit, i goofed, I meant gear oil. I didn't have all the info and I know if you change the gear oil and over fill, it pushes its way out. Not good. hopefully your able to pinpoint it.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
Keys

Post by Keys »

My Rat 110 has done the same thing since I bought it. It's been rebuilt twice by the dealer and they haven't been able to find anything that would cause it to be covered in oil, but covered in oil it is...

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
echondrite

Post by echondrite »

Hey keys, is the oil all over your kickstands too?

Where in AZ are you? I went to Arizona State back in the mid 90's -- Beautiful state man! you are lucky!
laxer

Post by laxer »

Mine's caked with oil on the bottom as well, I'm gonna get some brake cleaner and clean it up sometime soon, maybe I'll find the problem.
Keys

Post by Keys »

echondrite wrote:Hey keys, is the oil all over your kickstands too?

Where in AZ are you? I went to Arizona State back in the mid 90's -- Beautiful state man! you are lucky!
Yep...all over the kickstand...have to park it on a dropcloth in the garage. I live in Cottonwood...about 100 miles north of Phx in the Verde Valley...maybe 15 miles from Sedona.

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
trackpete

Post by trackpete »

I'm doing between 150-300 miles a day on my Rattler and it sprays oil everywhere over time. No drips or the like at night, just a constant minor fresh coating of oil over the course of the day.

This has been the case with every two stroke I've ever ridden, so I don't worry too much about it... *but* if you're actually getting a puddle over night, I'd want to at least identify the fluid to confirm which fluid it is. Easiest way to do this is to change the gear and engine oil with unique brightly dyed oils (like blue for engine and orange for gear).

It may be as simple as a small crack in your plastic engine oil reservoir.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1tTNVh">DC to the Arctic Circle! An old youtube playlist.</a>
echondrite

Post by echondrite »

Pete! Thanks for responding and sharing the info, man! I checked out your website and saw what you are doing. AMAZING!

Good Luck, and I will be following you closely!
egoodyke

Post by egoodyke »

[quote="agrogod"][quote="juice"]I dont think the rough house has crankcase oil , it could be 2 stroke oil or fuel oil mixture or transmission oil . Good luck .[/quote]

And you would be correct. If its coming out from directly under the scooter it may be coming from your 2-stroke reservoir.Is it colored solid blue or kind of an off blue?[/quote]

I'm just now running into this exact issue. I just refilled my 2-stroke oil and after riding around all day I parked, next day i come out and there's oil on the ground and on the kickstand. Is this a simple fix or getting a new reservoir or a hose of some sort? It just looks more serious and i'm hoping it isn't.