Got Dr. Pulley variator and weights - now get a new clutch?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

beelzebubbles

Got Dr. Pulley variator and weights - now get a new clutch?

Post by beelzebubbles »

I got the Dr. Pulley variator and weights from sunlparts.net the other day. I was thinking of doing it myself using babelfish's excellent guide (topic5444.html). It takes the process look fairly easy. But I'm unexperienced in mechanical work, and for all I know I won't tighten things enough and it'll all fall apart right while I'm doing 60 on Highway 101 :) I figure I might as well pay someone who does good work every day at the scooter shop, assuming it doesn't take too much time (and $).

I found a domestic (for US) site where they sell the Dr. Pulley clutch: http://store.scootertronics.com/drpugy6150sc.html - I'm thinking of ordering it.

Question 1: anyone had experience with this clutch? By and large I've read positive reports (on other scoots/ATVs), but sometimes people report no change. Maybe it has a lot to do with how much belt slippage your scooter has to begin with.

Question 2: should I wait till I get the clutch to take everything in to the scooter shop? By that I'm wondering how much more extra time it would take to install the clutch by having to take stuff apart, if I don't have the variator/weights upgrade work done at the same time.

I guess the bonus question is: am I going to be told I should just pick a weekend to buy some tools and play at being "grease monkey", 'cause it's really not that hard? :)

Thanks for any advice, in advance!
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

#1, please DO NOT buy from scootertronics.com They are horribly horribly overpriced, rip you off on overpriced shipping charges, and are the least friendly people I have ever talked to over the phone. Contact sunlparts again and see what they can do for you. They are by far the most knowledgeable people I have dealt with so far in sourcing GY6 parts and stuff for future reference when I am ready to upgrade (if i dont sell for a bigger bike next spring...)
babblefish

Re: Got Dr. Pulley variator and weights - now get a new clut

Post by babblefish »

beelzebubbles wrote:I got the Dr. Pulley variator and weights from sunlparts.net the other day. I was thinking of doing it myself using babelfish's excellent guide (topic5444.html). It takes the process look fairly easy. But I'm unexperienced in mechanical work, and for all I know I won't tighten things enough and it'll all fall apart right while I'm doing 60 on Highway 101 :) I figure I might as well pay someone who does good work every day at the scooter shop, assuming it doesn't take too much time (and $).

I found a domestic (for US) site where they sell the Dr. Pulley clutch: http://store.scootertronics.com/drpugy6150sc.html - I'm thinking of ordering it.

Question 1: anyone had experience with this clutch? By and large I've read positive reports (on other scoots/ATVs), but sometimes people report no change. Maybe it has a lot to do with how much belt slippage your scooter has to begin with.

In an otherwise stock scooter, you probably won't notice any difference. In a scooter with a modified engine, you'll get more longevity and the ability to fine tune the engagement point.

Question 2: should I wait till I get the clutch to take everything in to the scooter shop? By that I'm wondering how much more extra time it would take to install the clutch by having to take stuff apart, if I don't have the variator/weights upgrade work done at the same time.

If you are going to go with the clutch, let the shop do it all at once because the variator and clutch share about 80% of the labor. In other words, both require almost the same labor to do.

I guess the bonus question is: am I going to be told I should just pick a weekend to buy some tools and play at being "grease monkey", 'cause it's really not that hard? :)

It's not that hard, but unless you want to invest in an impact wrench (about $50 at Harbor Freight, but the quality might be questionable. My DeWalt cost about $200), farming the labor out might be cheaper. There's a possibility of getting the nuts that secure the variator and clutch off without an impact wrench, but I wasn't able to do it and I have a pretty big breaker bar.

Thanks for any advice, in advance!
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Got Dr. Pulley variator and weights - now get a new clut

Post by illnoise »

beelzebubbles wrote:I guess the bonus question is: am I going to be told I should just pick a weekend to buy some tools and play at being "grease monkey", 'cause it's really not that hard?
It's a lot like cooking, if you have good instructions, all the right equipment, all the right ingredients, and a lot of patience, you'll be fine. If you're the type that doesn't read manuals and gets frustrated or lazy about things, you can mess it up.

I really messed up a Vespa engine once because I didn't tighten the flywheel properly. You can do a lot of damage if that nut spins off. If you're confident you can get that nut off and put it back on properly, and follow all the instructions in between, you should have no problems.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

Im a huge fan of DIY. Besides, Ive found that having an impact driver on hand has been far more valuable and useful than having a power drill/screwdriver. You can still do everything with the impact driver that you can do with the drill, plus you get the added benefit of having a mechanics power tool. I picked up the 19.2v craftsman drill/impact drivers set with 2 batteries and charger for around $100 on sale, basically got the drill free with the sale, and havent even used it more than once or twice cause the impact driver is just so versatile.

I say go for it and try working on your scooter yourself. Changing the variator is definitely not rocket science, and would be a great learning experience to have.