Engineers vs. Mechanics

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Racenut

Engineers vs. Mechanics

Post by Racenut »

So I changed the oil on my Blur for the first time today.

Unbelievable!

Crank case oil was easy. No real complaints there.

Oil filter? I'd like to put the used filter in a sock and beat the engineer who did this about the head and face. You end up with a puddle of oil in the body work. I took it apart enough that I could pull it down and let the oil drain off then wiped it clean with paper towels. I may just dremel out the area directly below the oil filter so it spill out instead of getting caught in there. Silly.

Gear oil - I suppose putting the bottom of the fill hole at the correct level so we could just "fill till spill" wasn't thought of? I can't for the life of me see a design reason they couldn't do this. And that drain bolt feels sooooo sketchy when you tighten it. Feels like it's going to shred aluminum

Oh well, it's done, even though I'd rather change the oil in my car AND truck than the Blur, and could probably do it in less time.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

There's a drain hole in my bodywork.

The filter's not that hard to get to, it's just hard to make sure you're torquing it right. The person that deserves to die is the one who invented the slot-head filter (as opposed to the hex-head filter).

Old Vespas are fill-till-spill. it's so easy.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

Am I missing something regarding the oil filter style? I bought the cheaper of the two scooterworks sells, and it was the one with the hex head on it for use with a socket. Why would someone want to pay 2.5 times more for the red malossi filter with the slot? Ive always been under the impression that a filter is a filter, they all get dirty and need to be replaced, not exactly a high tech piece of equipment where accuracy is of the utmost importance.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

no, there's a cheap slot-head version too. Yeah, the malossi filters are silly, but I'm sure they're popular with the carbon-fiber set.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

I just got the $10 filter from scooterworks. I was actually expecting the slot head for that price, but they were 21mm hex. Getting it on and off was easy.. as far as threads and stuff. It's just that the filter is facing down so as soon as you loosen it, it bleeds into the belly.

And yeah, there's a drain hole, but that's not where the oil pooled to. And I was working on flat ground.