Blur oil filter

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

nickwhite44

Blur oil filter

Post by nickwhite44 »

OK, so I just took my new 2007 Blur into my dealer to get the first service. First, they charge an arm and a leg for the service - $120 for labor plus parts and supplies. They do this to sucker you into a "Plus Plan" which is $450 bucks for 2 years. The Plus Plan is your labor charges for everything you do on the scooter for two years - parts are still extra. I felt ripped off, but I'm not a mechanic and I don't really want to spend the time to learn. It's just not my thing you know? Anyway, I did the Plus Plan. Flash forward an hour and they're showing me the bill and the guy says "...and we didn't change the oil filter because the Blur doesn't have one." I said "Uhm, what? How could it not have an oil filter?" Answer: "Oh, well it just has a screen."

So I walk out of there completely baffled. They're wrong, right? What the hell should I do? There is an oil filter right?!

Nick
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Yes, there is an oil filter and yes, you were ripped-off. :(

The oil filter is located right next to the oil cooler behind the plastic grill that is behind your front wheel. And in case it comes up, the retail price of the filter is about $22, but you can buy it online for about $10.

If they didn't change the oil filter, then you paid $120 for about 10 minutes of work because all they did was to remove the drain plug and drain the old oil, reinstall said drain plug (5 minutes, tops), remove fill plug, pour in a little less than one quart of oil, reinstall fill plug (5 minutes, tops).
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Yes and no.

The first service being 120 dollars is not a rip off, dealers dont make much, so they gotta stay alive. You wouldnt have bought your blur unless your dealer was around. Without charging these type of prices, no dealer can survive unless they are well built in satisfaction and have enough customers that low prices can support them.

For the Plus plan, that is a joke. Saying you dont get into an accident, and nothing goes wrong on your bike, you will not need any work done at all that is so major is requires 450 dollars worth of labor.

You might do another oil change, but the second one will only be 20-30 dollars or maybe a little more. If everything is alright, there is no reason to take the bike back (besides regular check ups).

You can learn to do you own oil changes very easily, I'm not sure what grade of Oil the Blur uses, but stickers around the engine should say what grade goes in. There are tutorials made for the buddy on this forum, but the process is very similar for the blur too. Doing the change yourself will only cost 15-20 dollars, maybe more if you dont have tools like a 0-100 foot pound torque wrench, or some sockets.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Agreed, $120 is reasonable for a first service if they checked your valves, replaced the filter and all fluids, and did a general safety check

I guessed your dealer and checked their site, their "plus plan" has its merits, but if you're not planning on doing some serious mileage over your first two years, it's maybe not such a great deal. It looks like it may extend your warranty for an extra year, if that's the case, it might be worth it just for that. It's just one of those things, it's probably good for some people, not for others.

I've met and talked to many dealers and visited many dealerships all over the country, and your dealer is one of Genuine's top sellers, and one of the most honest and professional dealers out there, but the "no oil filter" story is troubling. Perhaps the person you talked to wasn't a service person and didn't know what he was talking about, I'm betting most dealerships are short on help and hiring some untrained salespeople at the moment. Hopefully they're not skimping on service people, too.

Even the best shops get a little weird once in a while, so you definitely want to clear up any issues. Look at the plan and do the math and think about if it makes sense for you or not, if it doesn't, talk to a manager and tell him/her you felt uninformed and overly pressured into the deal and you don't think it's right for you, and I bet they'll refund your money.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
nickwhite44

Post by nickwhite44 »

I've contacted the dealer and they claim that there isn't a filter on the Buddy 150 so maybe the mechanics were confused about that. They say there is a just a screen on the drain plug and they clean that out. Come on, do I have to deal with this?

So far, they are not willing to refund the PlusPlan balance. I'm guessing there is an oil filter on every scooter on the planet, including the Buddy 150. Anyone got some facts on the Buddy 150?

I hope that the mystery dealer is reading this! This is ridiculous.
justscooten

Post by justscooten »

i can say with in 99.99% that the buddy 150 and the blur 150 have an oil filter .. its like saying that coke a cola as no suger :shock: my first service on my 07 blur was 108.00 took them about an hour
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Blur oil filter

Post by jrsjr »

nickwhite44 wrote:There is an oil filter right?!
Right! Tell them to read illnoise's Blur Service Tutorial. Here's where the oil filter goes.

BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

justscooten wrote:i can say with in 99.99% that the buddy 150 and the blur 150 have an oil filter .. its like saying that coke a cola as no suger :shock: my first service on my 07 blur was 108.00 took them about an hour
It is inconceivable that PGO would build a 4 stroke that lacks an oil filter.

-Mark