Bought a Blur again

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

davelhunter

Bought a Blur again

Post by davelhunter »

After 5 years, a Kawasaki Z125, and 2 GSXR 600s, I am back to the Blur 220i. Going to customize this one like my last Blur. Let the mods begin!
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Congrats! Please do tell us what mods you do. If you're 180lb+ and/or am around 6' or more, I have the perfect rear shock for you...
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
davelhunter

Starting the work

Post by davelhunter »

Removing rear fender, orange lenses, and turn signal lights under handlebars. Wiring original front turn signals, led headlight, led running light bulbs, led brake light, pro grip grips, magnet mount phone mount. 12v usb power socket up front under handlebars, metal floorboards, aluminum engine fan cover, Pro Grip grips, painting center plastic silver, painting rims satin black, silver reflective rim stripes, iridium spark plug, making a fender eliminator kit for under the tail section with a license plate mount and led license plate light, cutting off those two metal tabs from the frame that hang down where the rear fender previously mounted, cutting off the piece of plastic trim that hangs down across the bottom of the tail light where the fender previously mounted, painting rear rack, levers, and handlebar ends satin black, filter change and synthetic oil.
pcsguy88

Post by pcsguy88 »

It's nice to zip around city streets with plenty of power and no shifting. Maybe Genuine will give us 300cc's for the 3rd iteration of the Blur. :twisted:
HanShan

Post by HanShan »

Yes, I am very happy with my Blur. Once I got over not knowing it as much as the Buddy's I have owned it is really a part of me now. So easy to ride and fun.

I have plans to take it from North Carolina to Washington state next spring on a sort of spiritual journey.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

I'm a current and very happy 170i owner and am looking to purchase a Blur 220. The people on this string seem to be passionate about the Blur, thus my message here. A few answers and thoughts, please:
How's the reliability of the Blur?
Is the performance significantly higher than the Buddy?
Has anyone cut the seat foam to lower the reach to the floor?
Any mod's to bike that really add to its performance and handling?
Thanks!!
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

GregsBuddy wrote:I'm a current and very happy 170i owner and am looking to purchase a Blur 220. The people on this string seem to be passionate about the Blur, thus my message here. A few answers and thoughts, please:
How's the reliability of the Blur?
Is the performance significantly higher than the Buddy?
Has anyone cut the seat foam to lower the reach to the floor?
Any mod's to bike that really add to its performance and handling?
Thanks!!
Personally I wouldn't waste money on the "upgrade" when you have the two Italians which are far better than the Blur. No significant upgrades available for the the Blur. It isn't even sold by Genuine anymore. I have not driven a 170 but I am sure it weighs less so the performance is likely very similar as far as acceleration. i would suspect the Blur handles/brakes better. My Blur has been reliable so far. Eats batteries. Needs a new drive belt every 4-5k as well which isn't cheap.
pcsguy88

Post by pcsguy88 »

chickdr wrote: Personally I wouldn't waste money on the "upgrade" when you have the two Italians which are far better than the Blur. No significant upgrades available for the the Blur. It isn't even sold by Genuine anymore. I have not driven a 170 but I am sure it weighs less so the performance is likely very similar as far as acceleration. i would suspect the Blur handles/brakes better. My Blur has been reliable so far. Eats batteries. Needs a new drive belt every 4-5k as well which isn't cheap.
Agreed. With the BV350 in your stable, you already have what those of us with the 220 wish we had. The 220 gets you to and comfortably cruises anywhere between 60 and 70, but over 70 strips away my confidence in the Blur. He is not a highway bike unless you just feel like squirting up a couple of exits at a time. Not fast off the line, but boy does it have that mid-range power to satisfy all your commuting needs to switch lanes and take off.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

I'm attracted to the 13" aluminum wheels, larger engine, disk brakes, secondary swingarm, and overall handling I'm told the Blur has in spades. I also like the midsize even if it weighs ~75 #'s more than the 170i.
I love my BV350 and 170i and have owned both since new. The 170i has been improved with aftermarket shock and forks and handles very nicely. The 170i is also rock reliable and is a real workhorse for shopping and running errands. The BV is the bike I choose for longer rides that may include highway travel. It simply rocks twisties and is like a Maserati in that it's solid, sophisticated and smooth.
Kennyr44

Post by Kennyr44 »

I drove a BV350 bran new last year. I took it for a long ride. So long the salesman was worried when I returned. I truly did not like it as much as my Blur 220i. Sure it had more power but the handling and sportiness just was not there. The 220i just feels so good. The Blur is not a highway cruiser though so if I was interested in highway riding I would for sure prefer the BV350.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Kenny.
Thanks for the further clarification of what the Blur 220i is all about. If I wanted a scoot' to fill the gap between the 170i and BV, the Blur or SMax looks like the best fit. The price of a used Blur is very attractive and would make me look closer at it.
Will the Blur do mid-distance highway work like the SMax? I'm thinking of top speeds of (true) 75 MPH for distances of ~15-20 miles.
pcsguy88

Post by pcsguy88 »

Absolutely not. True speed on mine is about 72MPH in favorable conditions. I bought mine at a dealer in the country and had to take highways for the 100 mile ride home. Obviously I chose to stay on smaller highways that paralleled the interstate and even then it was not a pleasant ride. Of course it was a new bike, I had no experience on it and no windshield while riding into a diagonal headwind, so 60 was about all I could do.

The Blur has some weight to it on city streets, but once you are exposed on a highway at top speeds, you immediately realize just how small you are. I will only run mine between highway exits in the city, not more than a mile or two.

Don't go anywhere that a smooth and constant 65mph is not enough.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

GregsBuddy wrote:Thanks for the further clarification of what the Blur 220i is all about. If I wanted a scoot' to fill the gap between the 170i and BV, the Blur or SMax looks like the best fit.
Hmmm. What gap? I own a Buddy and a Vespa GTS. I have owned a BV 350 and an Aprilia SC 300. Seems like the Buddy and the BV make a nice "town and country" pair. The GTS is an excellent all purpose scooter with emphasis on around town and rural roads. The Aprilia was also a good all purpose scooter with emphasis on rural roads and 2 lane state highways.

Now if you are just looking to try a different ride, I can see that. Gosh knows, I have owned a lot of bikes in my time.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

The gap is very narrow. I ride the 170i on the freeway for up to ten miles at times. This is when I'm in a hurry only. I do not find riding in the right lane at an indicated 65 to be uncomfortable if the traffic is light and weather good. Never at night. This may fly in the face of many riders who won't take any Buddy on the freeway and feel the scoot' is unstable. If the wind is light I don't feel the scoot' is unstable at all. No head-shake. No wiggle. No problem!
However, having a scoot' that is not taxed to nearly wide open and can be ridden with gusto on twisty roads is what I'm under the impression that the Blur is up to. This is the gap I think the Blur would fill.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

A Blur is a Blur. I have a Buddy kitted to 161, a Blur and a couple other TNG scooters. It is not the fastest...my 1990 Riva 200 has a higher top end...but..there is no better traffic jammer than a Blur.

From 10 to 13 inch wheels doesn't really make a difference to me but I have not found a scooter that is more fun in traffic than a Blur! It's quick with excellent handling and brakes that lets me do things that...well...I probably shouldn't...but I just can't help it!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Kennyr44

Post by Kennyr44 »

I talked my buddy into buying a used Blur 220i last year. He paid $1200 for it with 3,000 miles. I paid 4k new in 2013. Both are 2013's. We just blast around town with them. So much fun. I'm not really into running errands on it, when I suit up I don't like to stop. Maybe one time for lunch but thats it. Everyone has their own comfort level but I would need a heavier bike for the highway. Thats where I prefer a car anyway.
pcsguy88

Post by pcsguy88 »

From 10 to 13 inch wheels doesn't really make a difference to me but I have not found a scooter that is more fun in traffic than a Blur! It's quick with excellent handling and brakes that lets me do things that...well...I probably shouldn't...but I just can't help it!
This is where my Blur thrives. It is just big enough to take away any fears of being bullied in traffic and it gets from 30mph to 60mph in a hurry. Lean, zip, cut and that bothersome car in front of you is a memory. The 13" wheels feel much more stable than 10"s to me once you get over 50mph. I sure hope a replacement Blur is on the market for when I finally run mine into the ground.