Backfire?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

HanShan

Backfire?

Post by HanShan »

Blur 220!, 2013

Sometime, when I let go of the throttle, I hear a little "phoopht" sound. Assuming I am backfiring.

Plugs are clean and gapped at about .65.

Could it be the 93octane gas? Should I step down a grade?

Maybe not enough air, so maybe a new air filter?
PhillyKick

Post by PhillyKick »

My kick makes a sound that would appear to be backfiring when I decelerate. I think it's pretty common with small engines, especially one with no o2 sensor. Octane has nothing to do with it. I kinda want the sports exhaust for my kick so I can hear it better.
Always ready to ride in the Philly area, hit me up.
HanShan

Post by HanShan »

PhillyKick wrote:My kick makes a sound that would appear to be backfiring when I decelerate. I think it's pretty common with small engines, especially one with no o2 sensor. Octane has nothing to do with it. I kinda want the sports exhaust for my kick so I can hear it better.
Cool. Weird thing is I never heard it before, just recently started. I have about 8000 miles on it.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

PhillyKick wrote:My kick makes a sound that would appear to be backfiring when I decelerate. I think it's pretty common with small engines, especially one with no O2 sensor. Octane has nothing to do with it. I kinda want the sports exhaust for my kick so I can hear it better.
That has been my experience as well. Also true, though, that a bit of an air leak between the exhaust manifold and the muffler can cause backfiring.
PhillyKick

Post by PhillyKick »

Dooglas wrote:
PhillyKick wrote:My kick makes a sound that would appear to be backfiring when I decelerate. I think it's pretty common with small engines, especially one with no O2 sensor. Octane has nothing to do with it. I kinda want the sports exhaust for my kick so I can hear it better.
That has been my experience as well. Also true, though, that a bit of an air leak between the exhaust manifold and the muffler can cause backfiring.
I had a car (two, actually) that after a full throttle acceleration and letting off the gas, the engine mounts would flex enough to open a small air hole in the flex pipe, and it would backfire somewhat loudly (with visible flame, on occasion). After I replaced the flex pipe and motor mounts, no more backfires, even muffled by the exhaust system. I doubt that these engines are flexing that much, it may just be because of the smallness of the engine and the simplicity of the tuning and sensors.
Always ready to ride in the Philly area, hit me up.
HanShan

Post by HanShan »

PhillyKick wrote:
Dooglas wrote:
I had a car (two, actually) that after a full throttle acceleration and letting off the gas, the engine mounts would flex enough to open a small air hole in the flex pipe, and it would backfire somewhat loudly (with visible flame, on occasion). After I replaced the flex pipe and motor mounts, no more backfires, even muffled by the exhaust system. I doubt that these engines are flexing that much, it may just be because of the smallness of the engine and the simplicity of the tuning and sensors.
That is interesting though, since mine seems to do the exact thing, only after full throttle.

What would a similar location be on my bike to look for a leak? Somewhere before the muffler? I need to check my pipes anyway because they are kind of rusty.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

Mine does this sporadically (9,800 miles). Came on the site to see if others had the same issue. Typically mine runs very well. On my way home this past Friday I had loud backfires as I slowed and noticed the idle was running higher than normal (around 2k-2,100 vs 1500-1700 as normal). It did this for a while then went back to normal on Wednesday during my ride to work. It returned on the way home Thursday and was doing it today when I left the house today then settled down on the way home again. I was wondering about a possible cold start valve being sticky, but am not aware if the Blur 220 has one, or not. I don't understand why it comes and goes on my bike.
Last edited by chickdr on Fri May 18, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Almost certainly not a backfire as that causes flames to enter the intake system. Likely a exhaust pop from unburned fuel ignited by flames coming out of the exhaust into the exhaust pipe and muffler.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

GregsBuddy wrote:Almost certainly not a backfire as that causes flames to enter the intake system. Likely a exhaust pop from unburned fuel ignited by flames coming out of the exhaust into the exhaust pipe and muffler.
Is there a solution to this issue? I may have to DIY as my dealership answered my email saying they don't do any engine work - only routine maintenance. Great CS eh?
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Not a simple solution.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.