Looking at 2013 Blur

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

KCPaul

Looking at 2013 Blur

Post by KCPaul »

So, a local dealer is selling a new 2013 Blur. It's obviously been sitting on his floor for multiple years, and he's discounting it a pretty decent amount. I'd like to get into a scooter, and this might be a good opportunity to do so.

Should I be concerned about the scooter aging in place? I've never ridden before, but my neighbor who has, expressed concerns about a scooter sitting that long.

What say you?

I don't want my first scooter to be a headache waiting to happen.

Thanks!
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

The only things I'd be concerned about are the tires being dried and cracked and the battery being able to hold a charge after four years of sitting. Talk to the dealer about this, he might at least throw in a new battery. At worst, you're still covered by a 2-year warranty.
One thing to keep in mind about the Blur though, it rides firmer than what some people prefer. It's like the difference between a sportsbike and a cruiser. If you're a cruiser type person, then you might not like it. Test ride it if possible to judge for yourself.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
KCPaul

Post by KCPaul »

Good point regarding battery.

As for the test ride, I'm buying a scooter to learn to ride. Never ridden anything before. Gonna take the MSF course, but won't have that done before buying the scoot.

I'm guessing they won't let me test ride if I don't yet have my license. (Once I get it home, I'll get a permit and can work my way into riding.)

I'd really like the Hooligan, but there aren't any of those for sale around here. (In my price range, anyway.)

Just looking for something to ride some paved country roads around town (45 mph mostly.) Don't have a style preference yet.

Thanks for the input. My neighbor was worried about the fuel system sitting that long.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

The stock tires live a long time but are slippery...
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
pcsguy88

Post by pcsguy88 »

I've been thinking about it also. The price seems to be a steal, but renting a truck and trailer would add up. Can't ride it on I-70 and I have no clue what Hwy 24 is like. 3ish hours from BFE, KS is a long time on a bike you've never ridden.
KCPaul

Post by KCPaul »

pcsguy88 wrote:I've been thinking about it also. The price seems to be a steal, but renting a truck and trailer would add up. Can't ride it on I-70 and I have no clue what Hwy 24 is like. 3ish hours from BFE, KS is a long time on a bike you've never ridden.
Not sure what area you're in, but there's a used Blur in Shawnee on Craigslist for $2100. About 6,000 miles on it. Believe it's also a 2013.

That one's less tempting to me, but if you buy the new one, you'll put me out of my misery!! :D
pcsguy88

Post by pcsguy88 »

I've talked to him also. Unfortunately I am patiently waiting on a bonus check before I can buy. I wish Scooter World had one I could sit on since my legs are short and the Blur's seat is reportedly high.

The more I read about the Blur's failure to be a true highway bike, the more I lean away from it, but that brand new one at 40% off with 2yr warranty sure sounds nice. Can't be too many off those left in the US.

One of us needs to buy it.
KCPaul

Post by KCPaul »

pcsguy88 wrote:I've talked to him also. Unfortunately I am patiently waiting on a bonus check before I can buy. I wish Scooter World had one I could sit on since my legs are short and the Blur's seat is reportedly high.

The more I read about the Blur's failure to be a true highway bike, the more I lean away from it, but that brand new one at 40% off with 2yr warranty sure sounds nice. Can't be too many off those left in the US.

HA! Agreed.

Unfortunately, the more I run the numbers, the more I think I should wait even yet ANOTHER year before making the scooter leap. Damn bank account.

That puts you on the hook!

(Unless my wife wants to surprise me... Honey? You reading this? I love you sooo much.)
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

KCPaul wrote:
pcsguy88 wrote:I've talked to him also. Unfortunately I am patiently waiting on a bonus check before I can buy. I wish Scooter World had one I could sit on since my legs are short and the Blur's seat is reportedly high.

HA! Agreed.

Unfortunately, the more I run the numbers, the more I think I should wait even yet ANOTHER year before making the scooter leap. Damn bank account.

That puts you on the hook!

(Unless my wife wants to surprise me... Honey? You reading this? I love you sooo much.)
To both potential Blur owners,
Before you buy a Blur, you might want to determine your primary use case for your scooter. Do you want it as a commuter vehicle? On what types of roads and at what speeds would it normally be ridden? Do you ever think you will carry a passenger? Maybe a 50cc or 125cc scooter would work best (depends on distance ridden and typical road speed). The Blur is a sports-oriented scooter with relatively quick off-the-line speed and decent maneuverability (I have seen posts of Blur owners holding their own against sport-bikes on twisty roads). It seems like Blur owners tend to like them; however, it does not have lots of built-in storage space so it really would require the addition of a top case if you want to make it a decent commuter or errand bike. They are not truly highway capable scooters. If you want a fun ride for recreational purposes, the Blur might fit the bill. Otherwise, I would look towards something more practical like a Buddy 125/170 or Hooligan or look at some of the competing brands like Kymco, Honda, or Yamaha.
KCPaul

Post by KCPaul »

I'm just looking for something to learn on and take for joy rides. Country roads, all 35 or 45 mph. Steep hill or two. No (or very little) highway.

Something to throw a top case on once in a while to use as an excuse to ride to the store for milk. No real hauling.

But, I want it comfortable at 45 mph, not working hard.

And, I'm just more drawn to the modern or sport look. No Stella. But, a Hooligan would do.
pcsguy88

Post by pcsguy88 »

I burned up my 125cc after 2yrs of WOT commuting 6 miles at 50-55mph on 119th st which is why I want something that will run those speeds at 3/4 throttle. As far as passengers go, it would be my 10yr old on a rare run around the neighborhood. I've narrowed my choice to a Blur or a BV250 if I want to uncuff myself from city streets and take my daughter further.
scootergrind

Post by scootergrind »

As a Blur 220 owner I can tell you the one big problem I've experienced - really sore cheek muscles from grinning so much! Having had a number of scooters and motorcycles, my Blur has been the funnest - not the fastest - just the funnest.

For a learner I think it'd be perfect: excellent handling, great brakes, reliable, easy to maintain, and with a conservative amount of power that won't get you into trouble. I ride mine on the highway all the time 55-60MPH easily, and 65-70MPH when necessary (73MPH highest speed attained per GPS). And all while getting 70 miles to the gallon... not bad.

Recently I let a sales guy ride my Blur while I test rode another bike. When we got back to the dealership his comment was, "It's like riding a two wheeled go-cart!" Yep, that's what it's like alright.
KCPaul

Post by KCPaul »

scootergrind wrote:As a Blur 220 owner I can tell you the one big problem I've experienced - really sore cheek muscles from grinning so much! Having had a number of scooters and motorcycles, my Blur has been the funnest - not the fastest - just the funnest.

For a learner I think it'd be perfect: excellent handling, great brakes, reliable, easy to maintain, and with a conservative amount of power that won't get you into trouble. I ride mine on the highway all the time 55-60MPH easily, and 65-70MPH when necessary (73MPH highest speed attained per GPS). And all while getting 70 miles to the gallon... not bad.

Recently I let a sales guy ride my Blur while I test rode another bike. When we got back to the dealership his comment was, "It's like riding a two wheeled go-cart!" Yep, that's what it's like alright.
Two wheeled go-cart... that's awesome. Thanks for the feedback!
pcsguy88

Post by pcsguy88 »

Well, I bought it today and rode it the 100 miles home at 55mph into a head wind. Got a real sense of the handling the last 30 miles one we got into the trees and twisty 2 lanes around Eudora. Mi amore.

The Blur had 20 miles on it and had been dropped, but certainly not on the move. Probably in their gravel parking lot or in the garage. The ring around the fuel cap flew off about 4 miles down highway 24, so that'll be the first warranty work. Also, the fuel gauge went berserk after the first filling, but settled down after the 2nd gas stop. Burned around a full tank for the trip. They did toss a new battery in it and the tires are still soft.

$2687.50 out the door sales tax and everything. Couldn`t be happier.
Last edited by pcsguy88 on Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

That's a great price for a new Blur 220i, congrats. Your dealer sounds like a good one to replace the battery and sell at such a low price.
pcsguy88

Post by pcsguy88 »

My 42yr old lower back is letting me know this morning why a 2hr highway ride on a Blur is not the wisest idea. I was perfectly comfortable during the ride and have no issues with the seat beyond me having to tippy toe it. I’ll probably shave the seat if I can find a place since my helmet would not fit under the Scooterworks one.
scootergrind

Post by scootergrind »

Well done! Great deal too. Heck of a long ride home - anybody would be sore after that. Hope you have an awesome time on your new Blur!
pcsguy88

Post by pcsguy88 »

Finally got a chance to roam the suburbs alone this evening and I fell madly in love with the blurry one. It's as if it was assembled from my dreams and desires left unfulfilled by my 125cc Fiddle II. I just can't ever see myself going back to a retro styled cruiser. The Blur is an automatic motorcycle made to dominate the city while leaving the highways to the sports bikes. 0-45 is just ridiculously smooth and quick.

Thanks to all of you guys for sharing your experiences and pushing me towards the Blur over the BV250.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Welcome to the club! I keep hoping sports scooters catch on here in the U.S. so that more will get imported. My own 63 year old back does just fine on my Blur, though my rides are rarely more than 45 minutes.
pcsguy88

Post by pcsguy88 »

One of these days I'll learn how to get on and off of my Blur without looking like a fool, right? It's just so awkward with short legs.
Last edited by pcsguy88 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

+1 for sport scooters!
My Buddy 170i got NCY forks this weekend to compliment the updated rear shock. Also changed the rear tire to oversized for better high speed riding and, it turns out, nice handling.
The BV350 in the garage is also a fine "sports scoot'" of sorts. It loves cornering as much as me and does so quite well.
I'd like a Blur someday just to try a scoot' that openly claims to be a "sport scoot'".
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
KCPaul

Post by KCPaul »

I must admit, I'm more than a little jealous.

But, I'm glad that it found a good home.

You mentioned that you talked to the guy in Shawnee... was there a reason that you didn't consider that one? Because if the price falls enough... maybe it gets into my range.

Then, we could meet up and ride the back roads of De Soto. :D
pcsguy88

Post by pcsguy88 »

I must admit I was freaked out that night I logged on here and saw someone named KC asking about a 2013 Blur. I knew my secret had been discovered. :shock:
KCPaul wrote: You mentioned that you talked to the guy in Shawnee... was there a reason that you didn't consider that one? Because if the price falls enough... maybe it gets into my range.
I just could not pass up the brand new 4yr old scoot with 2yr warranty for $400 more than the 6yr old scoot with 5,800 miles on it. He has a garage full of bikes and does his own maintenance, so it sounds like it was taken care of.

The Italian style scoots are fun if you are trying to impress a hipster girl or a 50yr old woman who remembers her summer in Rome during college, but I must say I always felt inadequate when real bikes pulled up or an F150 in a hurry was behind me. With the Blur, you just twist the throttle and watch that F150 disappear in your mirrors and bikers keep waving at me. It's going to take time to adjust. 8)
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

pcsguy88 wrote:The Italian style scoots are fun if you are trying to impress a hipster girl or a 50yr old woman who remembers her summer in Rome during college, but I must say I always felt inadequate when real bikes pulled up or an F150 in a hurry was behind me. With the Blur, you just twist the throttle and watch that F150 disappear in your mirrors and bikers keep waving at me. It's going to take time to adjust.
Glad you are enjoying your Blur. I wouldn't trash talk Italian bikes however. The BV350 will run away from virtually every scooter on the road short of an Aprilia Mana.
pcsguy88

Post by pcsguy88 »

Just speaking my personal experience. My retro Italian styled scooter could have done 0-mach 3 in 4 seconds and it still would have been disrespected by every other vehicle on the road while being adored at the coffee shops.

KCPaul and I are smack in the middle of the country not Portlandia, so it's a very different experience no matter how progressive Kansas City has become. I know this because I was born in SF and spent 7yrs in Seattle. KC is not the West Coast. We have idiots that put smokers on their diesel trucks while flying huge 'murica flags in the bed of those trucks. They see scooters as sport.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

pcsguy88 wrote:Just speaking my personal experience. My retro Italian styled scooter could have done 0-mach 3 in 4 seconds and it still would have been disrespected by every other vehicle on the road while being adored at the coffee shops.

KCPaul and I are smack in the middle of the country not Portlandia, so it's a very different experience no matter how progressive Kansas City has become. I know this because I was born in SF and spent 7yrs in Seattle. KC is not the West Coast. We have idiots that put smokers on their diesel trucks while flying huge 'murica flags in the bed of those trucks. They see scooters as sport.
If you are that worried about what others around you think about your ride, perhaps a motorcycle would have been a better choice. ;-) I live (deep) in the heart of Texas and often get some degree of scorn when riding my scooters (my desert camouflage MP3 gets lots of strange looks in particular and they are even worse on the infrequent occasions when I ride my wife's pink MP3) but I don't let it bother me, simply because they are all fun to ride in their own way. As a rule, I will admit to not being a big fan of retro-styled scooters, particularly Vespas since they seem overly expensive for what you get and I have seen too many of them with noticeable body dents and damage, but I do appreciate that they are classics.
pcsguy88

Post by pcsguy88 »

I've driven a Fiat 500 since 2012, so I have no issue what others think of my ride, it was more of an intimidation thing. In the Fiat, you have a cage and airbags between you and the cocky bastard flipping you crap, riding your butt or swerving at you.

I love how the Italian scooters look (which is why I bought one) and even how they cruise, but after being on the Blur, I would not look to a Vespa or clone again until I'm retired and not using it as a commuter. I ride 100% of the time alone since I have no scooter buddies and all my local roads are 45mph which really means 50-55mph in car speak. The retro style 10" wheels, 125cc and no aerodynamics just did not fit as a daily driver where the Blur takes command and dominates those same streets. This is why I recommended KCPaul get something with a bit more oomph.

Why the heck is this debate even taking place in the Blur section?
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

I am definitely not trying to start a flame war or trolling. Most of the folks on this forum, including folks posting in the Blur section, have multiple scooters from Genuine and other brands. For instance, Dooglas is very big on the merits of Vespas/Piaggios and routinely seems to recommend them over Genuine products if folks have the money for them. I have seen folks rave on the BV250 and BV350 as great all around scoots. Dee Dee really seems to love his Yamaha C3 scooter and routinely recommends that to folks. I have found that most of the regular forum members, while appreciating Genuine's quality products like the Buddy, Roughhouse, Hooligan, etc, are not mindless fan boys.

I am not trying to disparage your choice of ride, if it works for your needs. In fact, I have considered buying a Blur multiple times in the past. I'm just saying that you probably won't get a lot of similar opinions if you start bashing retro scooters even if it's only in the Blur forum.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

cummingsjc wrote:I am not trying to disparage your choice of ride, if it works for your needs. In fact, I have considered buying a Blur multiple times in the past. I'm just saying that you probably won't get a lot of similar opinions if you start bashing retro scooters even if it's only in the Blur forum.
Bashing? I didn't see any bashing. Just some tips on how to impress hipster girls! :)

And an honest opinion from a happy scooter owner!
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
pcsguy88

Post by pcsguy88 »

Christophers wrote:Bashing? I didn't see any bashing. Just some tips on how to impress hipster girls! :)

And an honest opinion from a happy scooter owner!
Exactly! :P Only thing I'm bashing is some people that live south of Johnson county Kansas and their blatant aggression towards anything progressive on the road. I had to put an NRA sticker on the back of my Fiat to get them to leave me alone when I lived a year in Gardner. Amazing how much things can change with 2 exits on I-35.

Anyways, I loved my Fiddle II, it was just a square peg in a round hole for this area. If I lived in a loft downtown, then I'd go back to that style, but our suburbs are just too fast and too far from the urban core to enjoy yourself on one. It took me 40min to get downtown on the Fiddle and 15min on the Blur. Now I can participate in the group rides since I can get to the starting points. My coworker with a Vespa Super 300 refuses to get on the highways here due to scooter and tire size. So of course I'm loving my new found freedom on the Blur and singing it's praises. If I had gotten the BV250, I would be singing it's praises on how I just rode to Denver on it for the weekend. Doesn't make ot better than the Blur or Fiddle.

And cummingsjc, I do not know what you mean by regular member, but I've been around for awhile now. I just never posted because Modern Vespa and Modern Buddy have a bias against other brands. I just read and absorb.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

"Regular members" = Most actively posting to threads. I see a lot less brand bias from the most active members on this forum, as I previously stated. I never said you should have bought a Piaggio BV scooter (or any other type of scooter) or that you should not have bought a Blur. I was just stating that my perception was that many folks on here do not feel the way you do about retro scooters based on previous comments and I doubted many of them were trying to pick up hipster girls. Regardless, it was not my intent to hijack this thread away from your joy with your new Blur and will stop commenting on the subject of your Blur versus retro-styled scooters.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

This is not very productive. Why don't we drop it and just enjoy the ride on whatever it is we're riding.
scootergrind

Post by scootergrind »

Well, this was fun. Now... on to politics and religion...
KCPaul

Post by KCPaul »

Price just dropped on the Shawnee Blur again. Down to $2,000 for a 2011 with 6,000 miles.

Looks like he's sitting on a Rattler, too. That looks like a fun little scooter.
pcsguy88

Post by pcsguy88 »

He's down to $1900 now.
KCPaul

Post by KCPaul »

pcsguy88 wrote:He's down to $1900 now.

Getting closer.

There's a new 2013 for $1999 listed online. Unfortunately it's in Arizona. Otherwise I'd be forced to figure it out.

That and there was a basically new Hooligan for $2200 in Georgia. Would have loved that one too. It's gone, so somebody got a good deal.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

2K for a new Blur is an amazing deal. You could get a trailer and go get it.
pcsguy88

Post by pcsguy88 »

After this past month with my new one, I'd definitely spend up to $500 to go grab the one in Arizona. Getting mine for $2500 makes me smile multiple times a day even if it was dropped. My local Genuine dealer said the shop I bought it from lost a minimum of $700.
KCPaul

Post by KCPaul »

pcsguy88 wrote:After this past month with my new one, I'd definitely spend up to $500 to go grab the one in Arizona. Getting mine for $2500 makes me smile multiple times a day even if it was dropped. My local Genuine dealer said the shop I bought it from lost a minimum of $700.
It'd cost me that for sure. Have to rent a trailer and a vehicle to pull it. 36 hour round trip... I'd love to have it. But, it's just not possible for me.

Gonna have to live vicariously through your posts for awhile.
pcsguy88

Post by pcsguy88 »

I was thinking of ways to haul one also since I'm in the same situation as you and I came to the conclusion that renting a van would be the best. Hell, that's how they steal scooters, so why not haul them that way. No trailer, better mileage, easier to drive. Problem is you still have to get to wherever you are picking it up. Manhattan was certainly the furthest I'd ride one home (after doing it) and I would never suggest it with a rookie rider. That KS wind is atrocious.
pcsguy88

Post by pcsguy88 »

Shawnee Blur is down to $1800. If he drops to $1700, that's a $1000 less than my new one. :shock:
KCPaul

Post by KCPaul »

pcsguy88 wrote:Shawnee Blur is down to $1800. If he drops to $1700, that's a $1000 less than my new one. :shock:
I guess someone snapped it up, as it's no longer listed.