Key replacement

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

chickdr

Key replacement

Post by chickdr »

Has anyone had to get a new key for their Blur? I accidentally kicked mine as I was getting on and bent it slightly. I tried fixing it, but the metal is pretty soft. I just asked my dealer about another key and was told you have to replace the ignition and get two new keys. All of which will cost about $150. Seems crazy to me since the keys have an id plaque on the ring which should allow keys to be cut. I guess I will just continue using the second key for now.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

http://www.scooterloungeonline.com/product/ES55B010000

This is a link to the Scooter Lounge Online shop with the key blank for the Blur 220i. The part is $5. I would ASSUME that once you got this blank key that you could take it to any lock-smith and have them cut you a duplicate key.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

cummingsjc wrote:http://www.scooterloungeonline.com/product/ES55B010000

This is a link to the Scooter Lounge Online shop with the key blank for the Blur 220i. The part is $5. I would ASSUME that once you got this blank key that you could take it to any lock-smith and have them cut you a duplicate key.
Thanks for the link. I know the key for the 220 is different from the 150 and since the key they have says it is for the Blur and Buddy it makes me think it is for the older 150 model. I have contacted them to ask about it.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

chickdr wrote:
cummingsjc wrote:http://www.scooterloungeonline.com/product/ES55B010000

Thanks for the link. I know the key for the 220 is different from the 150 and since the key they have says it is for the Blur and Buddy it makes me think it is for the older 150 model. I have contacted them to ask about it.
Contacting them is probably the best idea. They have an extensive amount of OEM parts for Genuine Scooter products but are conspicuously missing the Blur 220i and Hooligan in their list of supported bikes. I wonder if they truly don't support them or just haven't got around to updating their website.

The other option would be this listing from Genuine's Parts List: M25520300004, ANTI-THIEF COVER ASSY+KEY (BLUR 220) listed at a retail price of $48.65.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

Ask them about this part: M255B0100004, It is supposedly the key blank of the Blur 220i according to Powersports Outlet at http://www.epfguzzi.com/scooterpunks/manuals/ on the Blur parts manual, item #24 on chart F15, pages 59 and 60.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

cummingsjc wrote:Ask them about this part: M255B0100004, It is supposedly the key blank of the Blur 220i according to Powersports Outlet at http://www.epfguzzi.com/scooterpunks/manuals/ on the Blur parts manual, item #24 on chart F15, pages 59 and 60.
Thanks again. Great detective work. I actually just sent an email to PGO about this. I was at Genuine's web site and this is what I found:

"Genuine does not currently cut keys by VIN. If you have a Buddy, Rough House, Rattler or Blur, you will need to get a new ignition switch assembly through your local dealer. "

Completely retarded. The keys have a number plate so there is no good reason they can't cut them other than not making the investment to buy the equipment to do so. If you don't want to support the scooter properly, don't sell it at all. Genuine is more disappointing every day. I wish I had bought a Piaggio which I suspect would provide much better support.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

I think I have this figured out for anyone else that may have the issue. I went ahead and took apart the damaged key to see how it works. The metal blade has no head, it inserts into the plastic head. The security slider is also a separate piece. I was told I had to replace the security cover to match the new keys. This is incorrect as you can just buy the set with two keys and security cover (part # M25520300004 at www.scooterloungeonline.com) and then swap out the old security slider from the broken key into the new key and have the new blank blade cut. Presto, you have a new OEM key. Still pretty expensive as you have to buy the whole set. They should sell a key with a blank blade and plastic head without the security slider installed which would make the process a lot easier and cheaper.

The other cheaper way is to buy the blank $5 key (part # ES55B010000) and have it cut. It won't have the security slider, but you could keep your old key head , remove the blade and use it to open the lock.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

I have a Buddy 50 that I bought used (and cheap) and it only had one key. Genuine obviously sells blank keys for this bike which can be cut by a lock-smith. Just for my own edification about the Blur, can the anti-theft mechanism on the Blur be left open all the time? Most of the other bikes I have seen with a key blocking device don't automatically work giving the rider the choice to engage it or not.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

Incidentally, modern Piaggio and Vespa keys are coded to the ECU in the bike as an anti-theft deterrent. If you lose the slave key, getting a replacement key isn't terribly expensive from some online sources (they just have to be programmed to the bike via a specific process after being cut). However, if you lose the master key, it can get quite expensive to replace the keys. AF1 Racing in Austin can recode the ECU for around $150 and some new keys but getting the ECU out of the bike can be quite the task. Otherwise, getting a new ECU can run over $600 I believe.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

cummingsjc wrote:I have a Buddy 50 that I bought used (and cheap) and it only had one key. Genuine obviously sells blank keys for this bike which can be cut by a lock-smith. Just for my own edification about the Blur, can the anti-theft mechanism on the Blur be left open all the time? Most of the other bikes I have seen with a key blocking device don't automatically work giving the rider the choice to engage it or not.
It is a completely optional step to close the mechanical door, or not. My concern would be that I forget NOT to do it and then I am screwed...