Installing a performance CDI unit in a 2006 Blur

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

babblefish

Installing a performance CDI unit in a 2006 Blur

Post by babblefish »

I just installed a performance CDI unit in my 2006 Blur. All 150cc Blur's should be the same. This unit is AC fired and is suppose to offer advanced ignition timing and eliminate any RPM rev limit. The electronics is potted inside a finned aluminum case to keep out water. The connectors seem like very high quality and the wires are a nice heavy gauge. It is larger than the stock CDI box, but still fits fine in the stock location. I bought it through eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/151554452029?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT) for a very reasonable price. The vendor that I bought it from is in the US and shipping is paid. I really don't know how they can sell it at such a low price.

In the past, I had installed a different performance CDI box, the orange colored one seen on eBay, but although it was also AC fired and had similar performance to this new unit, it caused my headlight to constantly flicker on and off so I removed it. This new one does not have this problem.

Installation was more or less a plug and play proposition. I ended up tie-wrapping it to a plastic tab that was in the compartment. Nice and tidy.

After installation, the idle went up by about 400 RPMs so had to be adjusted back down. I have it at around 2k, but the idle is now a bit unsteady. Sounds almost like a performance cam in a 60's muscle car, lol.

Acceleration (by my butt-o-meter) feels faster and throttle response seems crisper. I haven't had a chance to test the top speed yet.
I'll update this post with any new info I get from riding.
Attachments
IMG_5724.JPG
IMG_5724.JPG (90.9 KiB) Viewed 2391 times
Last edited by babblefish on Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Stock CDI location under the seat.
Attachments
IMG_5726.JPG
IMG_5726.JPG (54.27 KiB) Viewed 2390 times
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Pictures of CDI box pulled out and how to unlock electrical connectors so that they can be separated.
Attachments
IMG_5729.JPG
IMG_5729.JPG (43.58 KiB) Viewed 2389 times
CDI box pulled out.
CDI box pulled out.
IMG_5728.JPG (87.32 KiB) Viewed 2389 times
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Comparison of the the two electrical connectors. The female portion of the new unit is on a wire harness instead of being attached to the box itself, although the connections are the same.
Attachments
IMG_5734.JPG
IMG_5734.JPG (77.01 KiB) Viewed 2388 times
IMG_5732.JPG
IMG_5732.JPG (83.77 KiB) Viewed 2388 times
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

New CDI box plugged in and installed. There is a handy plastic tap like thing in the compartment which made it super easy to just tie-wrap the CDI securely. I tucked the wiring through a hole on the bottom of the compartment. There is a green LED that lights up when the engine is running.
Attachments
All done.
All done.
IMG_5740.JPG (102.82 KiB) Viewed 2387 times
Tie-wrapped in place.
Tie-wrapped in place.
IMG_5738.JPG (121.6 KiB) Viewed 2387 times
IMG_5737.JPG
IMG_5737.JPG (93.18 KiB) Viewed 2387 times
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

Keep your original CDI under the seat in case that China-enginnered thing poops the bed :D
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

avescoots1134 wrote:Keep your original CDI under the seat in case that China-enginnered thing poops the bed :D
Good idea, I'll probably do that.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Just an update. Still running fine. One interesting note is that on occasion when starting, it sounds as if the engine is trying to start backwards and slams against the one-way starter clutch bearing before spinning in the correct direction and running. I contribute this to the advanced timing. Sounds terrible, but it only happens once in a while, probably when the piston happens to be very close to TDC when I try to start it.