Jerky from a stop

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

johnwoodsrides

Jerky from a stop

Post by johnwoodsrides »

New to the forum, new to scooters in general and new to me 2013 Blurr 220i with 2700 miles on it.

The scooters starts and runs smoothly but some times when rolling on the throttle from a stop, the clutch or belt, not sure, causes a jerky feeling until it gets rolling. Seems if you go full throttle, it’s fine. It’s just when trying to ease on the throttle or maintain low speed (15-20). Any thoughts? Slider weights? CVT?

Thanks in advance.
scootERIK

Re: Jerky from a stop

Post by scootERIK »

I would start by cleaning and inspecting the variator. You need to clean the belt dust off and make sure the rollers don't have any flat spots.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

How many miles of the total have you put on it? Do you use the throttle as a brake when you are stopped on an incline? What you describe sounds like glazed over clutch pads. A CVT scooter should either be stopped or going. It's not like a motorcycle where you use the friction. A CVT clutch hates that area between stopped and going. Pull the clutch bell, clean the inside of it with brake cleaner and hone with 150 grit sandpaper. Scuff the clutch pads trying to sand perpinduclar to their length. Blow off with a compressor, or use a chip bruxh to get rid of the dust. Don't inhale the dust.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
johnwoodsrides

Post by johnwoodsrides »

I’ve only put 25 miles on it, no, don’t use the throttle as a brake. Thanks for the responses, I’ll pull it apart and see what it looks like.
Therealslimshaggy

Post by Therealslimshaggy »

You ever manage to sort it out? I’m having the same issue with a buddy 170i. About 7000 miles recently acquired used. I have the cvt taken apart right now. Everything looks really new clutch looks ok clutch bell and belt ok. The variator has one flat spotted roller very minor I doubt just one roller could be causing this jerky acceleration when I had another scooter grind down a few rollers half way and still be able to accelerate smoothly. I have it apart at the moment and decided to do everything. Im swapping in dr pulley sliders to avoid flat spotting. New belt. New ncy lightened clutch bell. New oem clutch I found as new old stock for 100 bucks on eBay. Also new plastic variator slides. The variator disk and plate itself both look new so those two parts I’m keeping. Hopefully the new setup solves the problem.
Attachments
image.jpg
Yamaha Aerox 155, Genuine Roughhouse 50, Genuine buddy 170i, Yamaha Cygnus 125, Honda grom 125, Suzuki address 110 (uk110), Yamaha cuxi 115, Yamaha BWS 100 2t, Yamaha R6, Honda CR125, Kawasaki KX 500
tenders

Post by tenders »

I find that riding in stop-and-go traffic and making slow startups over the course of 20-40 minutes can cause that shuddering on takeoff. I think it’s the clutch pads slipping on a hot clutch bell. Accelerating as quickly as possible off the line minimizes the issue when hot, and I think it stops once the bell cools down.