topcase size

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

fs8gbe

topcase size

Post by fs8gbe »

got my luggage rack today (thanks scooterworks for being such a cool and trustworthy company) and it's cool and all but...

it's so tiny. it makes me nervous that it won't be able to handle a larger topcase. what size do you guys have on your blur and have you had any issues?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

You'll have to take the grab-bar off to install all 4 bolts. Consider this, the rear rack is mounted (firmly) to the grab bar, which is directly mounted to the frame (not sandwiching the plastic) so it can hold quite a bit. I've seen the frame where it mounts and it's about as sturdy as I could ask for. I've got a Shad 29 mounted to mine and I've had it loaded up pretty good in the past and never had an issue with it. I wouldn't go too crazy, but I imagine that it'll take quite a load. It really is a well designed mounting point, which is more than I can say for the Buddy.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I have a pretty big Givi top case mounted on mine and it's been pretty sturdy for the most part. I use mine a lot and load it up quite a bit. I also tend to ride hard meaning I ride my Blur like my sportbike throwing it into turns and all. I've had three problems:

1) One of the mounting screws that hold the rack to the grab handle vibrated loose and fell out. But before it fell completely out, it tore-up the threads in the grab handle preventing me from just replacing it with a same size screw. I didn't want to spend the money for a heli-coil, so I just drilled and tapped the hole for the next larger size screw. So, the moral of this story is to be sure to use thread lock on your screws. :)

2) One mounting screw sheared completed off leaving it's remainder in the grab handle. I was able to remove it with a bit of fiddling and a few choice 4-letter words.

3) One of the four mounting arms on the rack snapped off (probably due to the increased vibration caused by the missing screw). It was repaired by welding the broken piece back on and spray painting the welded area with silver paint. Most people probably wouldn't notice the repair.

Although I think a top case makes my Blur look "homely", I put up with it because it's useful. If I'm out for a cruise and I know I won't be buying anything, I leave it at home.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

babblefish wrote: Although I think a top case makes my Blur look "homely", I put up with it because it's useful. If I'm out for a cruise and I know I won't be buying anything, I leave it at home.
:bleh: top case on a Blur?? :wtf: it's just wrong :no:
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

That's the beauty of a quick mount. I hate the look of the topcase on my Blur, but I couldn't imagine commuting without one.
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

Lostmycage wrote:That's the beauty of a quick mount. I hate the look of the topcase on my Blur, but I couldn't imagine commuting without one.
I use a backpack for commuting - fits my laptop, mp3, full kit for recess at the gym. even with the smallish pet carrier I wouldnt put a case on the Blur :evil: . o'course if I really need one the wife's Buddy came with the large Prima bag & back rack so I could strap on the bag or borrow the Buddy&all :wink: .
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I use a backpack when I'm carrying a laptop, but other than that, I try to keep as much off my back as possible. I've found that I'm more comfortable when I'm not weighed down more than I already am.

One other major benefit of a topcase is the added visibility. It makes the bike look larger and I have reflective material on it which is good for riding in general as well as parking where there's no easy scooter spaces (it keeps the inattentive SUV driver from whipping into a space that I'm in and smashing my bike).

Also, it's an easy place to stash my jacket or helmet in and it makes for a solid point to bungee down a twelve pack, since the Blur doesn't have the super handy floor shelf. (One of the things I miss about the Buddy).

Again, I don't like the look, but the pros outweigh the cons for me. Ultimately, it's a personal decision. But it I don't have anything bulky, I just use my tank bag.
KCScooterDude

Re: topcase size

Post by KCScooterDude »

fs8gbe wrote:got my luggage rack today (thanks scooterworks for being such a cool and trustworthy company) and it's cool and all but...

it's so tiny. it makes me nervous that it won't be able to handle a larger topcase. what size do you guys have on your blur and have you had any issues?
It's almost exactly the size of the Givi mounting plate, which means any Givi should fit plent firm with no problems. I have no problems with mine whatsoever mounted on that rack. I dont' remembe which case I have, but I can fit my XL full face HJC helmet inside with room to spare.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

BeachBuzz wrote:
babblefish wrote: Although I think a top case makes my Blur look "homely", I put up with it because it's useful. If I'm out for a cruise and I know I won't be buying anything, I leave it at home.
:bleh: top case on a Blur?? :wtf: it's just wrong :no:
Hey - mine looks awesome with my black Givi topcase. I do leave it off when I'm not using it and the black Givi mounting plate looks a heck of a lot better than the silver rack.

I'm actually responding to you because I want some information out of you!!! I'm seriously considering selling my Blur and buying a Burgman 400.

A couple of questions. I love how the Blur corners. Can you compare it to the Burgman? Also, at 55-65 MPH, what kind of power do you have left and what's the ride like? Do you feel the 400 is enough or do you think the 650 would be a better way to go?

I've got two rides right now - the Blur and an old Suzuki GS550L. I need to get down to one, and I'm leaning toward a scooter, because I do 90 percent commuting. 10 percent riding with the boys (which means weekend trips to neighboring small towns for coffee and down-home cooking).

Thanks in advance for responding.
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

KCScooterDude wrote: Thanks in advance for responding.
pm sent
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I'm not a topbox fan either. Milk crates are where it's at. : )

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

illnoise wrote:I'm not a topbox fan either. Milk crates are where it's at. : )

Bb.
you mean like this?

or take another one, and create a top...

and, i just did that for fun, took it off right afterwards...
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

You painted your Blur PINK!?!
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

LOL no, though that is funny. crappy phone...
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

babblefish wrote:You painted your Blur PINK!?!
I thought the same thing. That'd be just plain wrong. Glad it's just your phone!
evilscooterkitty

Post by evilscooterkitty »

Not thrilled with the looks on the Blur... but works great:

http://www.justgottascoot.com/shadsh40.htm
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

hehe thanks, i actually bought this just yesterday :D
beelzebubbles

Post by beelzebubbles »

I have one of those Givi top cases with two-helmet capacity. I tend to take it off unless I think I'm going to do some grocery shopping or other heavy baggage (it's just right for a large grocery bag), or if I have a passenger and they'd like the idea of a back rest. I like to think the top case makes me more visible (I got reflective tape all over it, to make sure), but it also makes my ride wider, which in lane-splitting California is less than ideal (this is one of my favorite things about the Blur - it's better for splitting lanes than the more "classically" designed scooters with fatter rears, like the Vespa GT200 I had).

A couple of negatives:
1) the top case makes the Blur more susceptible to winds - it's like you've hoisted a little sail back there;
2) the rack supporting the top case is, from my own experience and others' (above post), kind of iffy. It may not be the sturdiest rack around. I've had loose screw problems on it and if I hadn't checked it earlier on, the whole thing could have fallen off with a heavy weight inside the topcase, for all I know. Which reminds me, I should check the screws on that sucker soon...
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Hey, how's this for fugly:

That's the topcase that I won for $0.01 on Ebay. Looks kinda weird, but it's really cut down on the tailgating. Should also come in handy if I've got the lead in a club ride.
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

haha nice. for a penny you can't beat that.
hungcanuck

Post by hungcanuck »

Is there a trick to getting the grab bar off? I tried getting the bolts off with a hex key, but they wouldn't budge. Tried hammering the key to no avail. Ended up with a twisted hex key.

I just bought a rack off ebay for $28 and a shad 37 top case and would like to get that sucker on.

Blur or die!!!!!!!!!!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Make sure the hex key is the right size first off. Second, get a length of pipe that fits closely to the hex key and use it as a breaker bar or get a hex bit for a socket wrench. The trick is leverage.

Fair warning; if it's that stuck, I'd avoid trying a drill unless you're pretty experienced with said drill or an impact wrench.

Nice find!