PERFORMANCE MODS: Prima Exhaust Package

Product reviews. Read-Only.

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

MikieTaps

PERFORMANCE MODS: Prima Exhaust Package

Post by MikieTaps »

I had my Prima exhaust installed the other day and I love it, along with the NCY Vento 150 GY6 clutch spring, 9.5 gram Prima Rollers, and Stage 4? jet for the carbuerator.

The sound when idling is awesome, it will definately turn heads.
It gets to be a little loud when you are full throttle *flying* down the road.

Overall the performance gains are definately noticeable. There is much smoother even acceleration, and I get to 45-50 more quickly than before the upgrades. The clutch spring engages much sooner than stock, and is great for getting off the line, and also getting that extra power down when you need it at speed. The gas mileage has definately suffered a little bit, I am estimating 70-75 mpg instead of 90... but honestly... 75 mpg... who cares? :roll:

Overall I am super happy with the setup so far! I would give it 4.5 out of 5 stars.

When people get this upgrade keep in mind that your buddy is still a scooter, and not to expect it to turn into a sport bike by adding an exhaust. I think some people are expecting too much when they get the Prima exhaust, and are let down by their over zealous expectations.

Ducati Seattle sold me the package for $208.97 including tax, plus 1.5 hours labor to have it installed.

:D

kmetta

Post by kmetta »

That is a MUCH nicer deal than i ever would have imagined.

Thanks for the review!
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

yeah ducati seattle doesnt totally have it together when it comes to buddy accesories... :goofy:

I think the should have charged me more... but that would be their problem not mine!
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

so the $208 package included the prima pipe also?!?!?!
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

The pipe is on sale for 189 dollars now at scooterworks, and the rollers are around 15 dollars, clutch springs, not sure how much they are, but usually cheap.

For the price you paid, that isnt that bad at all, but then labor is tacked on :lol:
docutech

Post by docutech »

So, what was the total with labor?
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

did you lost top end speed?
formerly known as robonz23

www.cannonballbuddy.com
Xena

Post by Xena »

I have been seriously thinking of adding this exhaust to my scooter and am pleased to have seen this thread and what you think of the addition...
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

i want that exhaust. It looks so great!! Please stop posting pictures of it!!
bunny

Post by bunny »

GREAT review! Thanks for the perspective...OH & I are considering this upgrade after a while. We have to see how I adjust to handling her as she is now before we go 'louder.'

VespaFW also mentioned some 'kit' that adds end torque? What is that and how does it affect performance, if at all?
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

i still have yet to do a serious top end run... but it has lost some if its "pull" over 55 mph...but it never had much pull over 55 anyway. I think after a thousand miles or so I might switch to slightly heavier... 10gram, sliders... see if it makes a difference in the high end department.

The labor was 1.5 hour, so what ever your shop charges per hour... it should 1.5 times that.

Just a reminder... this basically voids your warranty...
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

Sweet pipe and they sound great!
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
Artisan

Post by Artisan »

I'd love to get the pipe but the new rules came out a week ago (darn homeowners associations) and one of them is no loud pipes. :(

Though some of the gas engine golf carts and atvs the people drive around in out here are pretty loud.

So are the pipes motorcycle loud or atv loud?
Last edited by Artisan on Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

Artisan wrote:I'd love to get the pipe but the new rules came out a week ago (darn homeowners associations) and one of them is no loud pipes. :(
its not that loud until you are over 1/4 throttle... not louder than any of your neighbors harleys is gonna be :wink:
Artisan

Post by Artisan »

MikieTaps wrote: its not that loud until you are over 1/4 throttle... not louder than any of your neighbors harleys is gonna be :wink:
My neighbors wouldn't know a Harley from a dirtbike. However a friend has pipes on his Harley that would wake the dead.....2 counties over. So are we talking my friend's Harley...a unmodified Harley or somewhere in between?
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

its really not THAT loud...

it is throaty... lower tone. If you keep it under 1/2 or 1/4 throttle out of your neighborhood, no one would be able to tell the difference between you and an older model car... :D
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I'm looking for an exhaust that's QUIETER than stock, not louder. I wonder if there is a such thing? But I'm an old dude, and old dudes usually like quiet over loud.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

Thanks GFridg, i stole this pic from you... :oops:

LOUDER IS BETTER !!!! :twisted:
Artisan

Post by Artisan »

MikieTaps wrote:its really not THAT loud...

it is throaty... lower tone. If you keep it under 1/2 or 1/4 throttle out of your neighborhood, no one would be able to tell the difference between you and an older model car... :D
Great! Then if I get any complaints I can blame it on my neighbor's junkyard Studebaker! " What me? now how can that little scooter possibly make make as much noise as you claim?":D
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

not too much louder just a better tone
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

MikieTaps wrote:Thanks GFridg, i stole this pic from you... :oops:

LOUDER IS BETTER !!!! :twisted:
Better give original owner credit.

Buy his shirt, its worth the $16 bucks.

http://www.pjsparts.com/catalog/product ... cts_id=485
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Thanks for the review! I moved it to the REVIEWS forum, with a shadow in the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS.
ModBud #442
armacham

Post by armacham »

You should record a video of it so we can hear what it sounds like.
ydogi

Post by ydogi »

Hour and a half labor !!!

there is a demo on u tube the guy does it in about 5 minutes without rushing
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

ydogi I believe the hour and a half labor were for more than just the pipe. Mikie had the pipe installed, the carb rejetted, new rollers, and a new cluth spring put in. That is what took an hour and a half and I would call that a pretty decent turn around for all of that.
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Doesn't count.

Post by Lostmycage »

It doesn't count unless you do it yourself. I charged myself 1 1/2 beers.... 'course, I didn't ride it till the next day, just long enough for the gremlins to loose interest.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
CycleScoot

Post by CycleScoot »

If UPS's tracking info is correct I'll be hitting the pipe tomorrow afternoon. I'll let everyone know what I think and post up some pics hopefully in the PM.

SC
Jake

Post by Jake »

Man that looks nice, and at that price? Awesome. I'm a bit envious.

It's so weak that it voids your warranty, though. I guess I'll wait two years to get one. With my luck so far, something unrelated would break the week I installed it, and I would be out of luck.
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

So I have been seriously considering getting this package upgrade for my 150 International St Tropez. It says it is for the 50/125 though so I have to ask several questions. First the jet upgrade is it the right one for the 150 or does anyone know which upgrade would be more appropriate? Second the roler weights are they different in the 150 than the 125? Talking standard here because if they are different standard then the upgrade 9.5 rollers will make a bigger difference for the 150 vs the 125 and that needs to be accounted for. Also regarding the spring same question. Finally I am pretty sure I have seen others fit the Prima pipe on the 150 but did you have to do anything to get it to fit properly? Thisn question includes the bolt further down the pipe to hold up the back end.

My dealer has a couple of these kits in stock and I called about getting one installed next week. The service manager, whose opinion I think holds weight as valid and with great backed by experience knowledge, thinks it would be better to wait on a kit designed for the 150. I have emailed scooterworks asking if there is anything like that coming and also asking why there still doesnt appear to be very much specifically stating it fits/is made for the 150. Still waiting to hear back from them and wanted to see what the opinions of this knowledagable group is.
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
Pdn5058

prima pipe performance package

Post by Pdn5058 »

I just had the same work done by Ducati Seattle and they did it for 1.5 hours labor because I referenced your post!! It sounds great and is noticeably peppier. I haven't tried to see if the top end has been affected but the fastest I've had it to is 55mph and that's probably good enough for a scoot. I'd recommend this to anyone.
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

Scooterworks is advertising the Buddy 125 stage 1 performance package for $219.99. I already have the pipe, so I am interested in buying the spring, weights, and possibly rejetting. For weights, should I go with 9.5 or 10 or mix and match? What difference has rejetting the carb made for people? I live at 1200' and my Buddy seems to run fine with the pipe and the stock jets.

Comments?

PasadenaSue