SECURITY/LOCKS: OnGuard Rottweiler

Product reviews. Read-Only.

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

KRUSTYburger

SECURITY/LOCKS: OnGuard Rottweiler

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I purchased the OnGuard Rottweiler chain/lock (I guess you can call it a chain?) with my scoot in February, so here is what I think of it:

Image Image

I have the 5 foot length. I find it is sufficient for most everything... At work the pole I lock to is kinda skinny, so I just loop it around twice. At home I often lock my Bud to my dad's Helix and it is plenty long for that. I think the 5 foot is a good versatile length, a longer one might be useful sometimes, but if it's any bigger than mine, I doubt it would easily fit under the seat.

It won't fit in the holes in rims, but it will fit through the top-most part of the center stand, the front fork or the rear rack. I usually lock to the front fork since it's easy to access and relatively secure, it just barely fits between there... It's a monster chain! No one has ever cut or picked one as far as I know. Another cool thing about the Rottweiler is it comes with 5 keys, so as long as you keep them separate, you will always have a spare. They also have key "code" so if you do somehow lose all of them, you can order replacements using the code (unless you also lose the code card). One of the keys even has a handy led light for night locking. 8)

It is very good quality, I've never had a problem with it. I also don't really have anything to compare it to since it's the only lock I've used for my scooter... I have a smaller lock I use for my bicycle, but it's like maybe an eight of the thickness. Wow! This is getting LENGTHY!

Oh yeah, here are some pics of it in the under-seat storage area. I can't fit my helmet in there with it, but usually when I'm putting my helmet in I'm taking the lock out to hook it up anyway, so it works out well. Or I could just hook my helmet to the little peg under the seat... ANYWAYS:

I got it from Solano Cycle for $30, which is a great deal (about half of what you will pay somewhere else)... they will sell it to anyone for that price, not just if you buy other stuff from them. They carry them in stock and get them direct from the manufacturer. They probably still have the same deal or at least close, so if you want to call them, the number is 1-877-SOLANO-1. I'm not sure how much shipping is either. Hope this answers any questions! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

~Cheryl
Last edited by KRUSTYburger on Mon May 26, 2008 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

Cheryl, how heavy is it? Wondering about carrying in the topcase.

Is it flexible or like a spring so it is a challenge to put around whatever the scoot is being secured to?

Nice post and thanks for the pics.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I believe I have this lock as well (I'll have to double-check, but it looks the same and I got the 5 spare keys too) and it is quite excellent, IMHO! It's not heavy but it is tough.

I loop mine though the front tire thingy (not the tire itself, but between the bar that goes down and the tire) and have never had a problem. I hadn't considered looping it through the center stand....
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

It is probably about 4 pounds. Not SUPER flexible, but I've never
had a prob with it... Here's a pic of about how tight it will coil:

EDIT: P.S. those are NOT my hands!!!
Last edited by KRUSTYburger on Mon May 26, 2008 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I think I misread your question :oops: ... It doesn't stretch lengthwise, if that's what you meant.
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

4lbs...that could be a bit heavy for the topcase if carrying something else with it. But what about where you carry it under the seat--is there a weight limit for that? Never really thought about it before but I don't carry anything really heavy in there and what I do carry, I take out, then store my helmet in there when I get to my destination.

Another great photo!
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

4 lbs. isn't all that heavy... Heck, a couple cans of soup will do that! I think the under seat storage will hold however much weight you can possibly fit in it. You could probably fill it to the brim with lead fishing weights with no problems... Anyone up for an experiment? 8)
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

Oh, I meant the rear rack has a capacity of 11lbs and that adds up quickly with the other things I carry. It would fit better under the seat.

I meant if it coils so tightly that it creates tension when wrapping around something to afix it to.
redcass

Post by redcass »

KRUSTYburger wrote:EDIT: P.S. those are NOT my hands!!!

:lol: :lol:
RedCass
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Thanks for the review, KrustyBurger. Nice Genuine keychain!

I'm going to give folks a little more time to comment, then move this to the Reviews section.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

I have a similar cable lock- looks identical but is a different brand. It works well to wrap around the floorboard of the scooter as well because the plastic covering won't scratch anything. That's my preferred place to lock the scooter when I use the cable lock. Always be careful of using any part that can be unscrewed to lock your scooter (center stand, rear rack, etc).

I do worry about the fact that cables like these can be cut and aren't as secure as say the Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit chain, but for most areas they are very useful and much lighter/easier to carry and store.

Great review Cheryl!!
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

ryder1 wrote:Oh, I meant the rear rack has a capacity of 11lbs and that adds up quickly with the other things I carry. It would fit better under the seat.

I meant if it coils so tightly that it creates tension when wrapping around something to afix it to.
I know what you mean about weight in the topcase, they are more easily shaken and not all that sturdy for heavy items, but I don't own a topcase to try it out. The pic with the lock in the seat is how I always carry it, folded over once on itself is the easiest way to store IMO. I think if you coil it up more than how it is in the pic, then it starts creating tension (pulling away from the coil, not towards it)... it bends pretty well considering the thickness, but does not stretch like a bungee. That's why they offer various lengths.

I think I answered your question? The only tension is the chain trying to straighten itself out if you coil it tightly. It will not tighten around something like a bungee will. It's basically super thick twisted steel cable with steel plates around it and a vinyl coating.

Feel free to keep asking questions if I didn't understand the question right.