JACKETS: Corazzo 5.0 (men's)

Product reviews. Read-Only.

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

EP_scoot

JACKETS: Corazzo 5.0 (men's)

Post by EP_scoot »

I thought the reviews section was kind off lonely so here are my thoughts on the Corazzo 5.0 (men’s) after 200 miles in temps 34-44F.
I am 5'-9" and 200+ lbs :(

FIT;
- The fit is very comfortable.
- Long sleeves get all the way to the end of my arms.
- The cuffs have a nice loooong stretch of Velcro that allow me to close tight on my gloves and prevent any air from going up my sleeves.
- The neck collar is fantastic. It has a soft fleece material on the inside. It closes tightly, but yet it does not choke and it does not impede your neck from looking over your shoulder. It is probably one of the best (if not the best) neck collar I have ever had on a motorcycle jacket.
- Although it is roomy throughout your body, the waist is tight and not stretchy, so that could create a fit problem with some people. The plus is that it motivates me to not gain any more weight or I won't be able to zip it.
- The body, as I said, is very roomy and allows me to wear layers underneath.
- Vents: In the temps I have been riding they are tightly close and I do not feel any draft coming from any of them. We will have to see how they work as the temps get higher.

WARMTH:
- I wear a long sleeve t-shirt and sweat shirt underneath and I am very comfortable. Not hot, not cold even with 34 degree temps for about 1 hr riding. Keep in mind I am one of those persons that is always hot (or so my wife says). Hey, wait a minute . . . maybe she means something else ! :D

SAFETY:
-Big strips of reflective material on front, back and one arm and when the light hits them they are BRIGHT! I have the bright red jacket which hopefully makes me more noticeable during the day as well.
- Armor on the elbows, shoulders and back. The one on the back is somewhat loose on the hanger, but once you put the jacket on, it does not move and/or become obtrusive.
- 1000 Cordura material. You can review all the specs here: http://corazzo.net/?q=node/6

STYLE:
- +++++ The style is very European. I love the style as it reminds me of home.
- Although awkward on the hanger because of the armor, once on your body you look good, baby !
- It has two outside pockets for the hands and one outside pocket on your chest. Also one inside pocket.
- all the zippers have a nice, wide flap covered them to avoid wind from creeping in and to protect the paint in your scoot if you get too close to it.

All and all, I would buy this jacket again in a heartbeat. It is not cheap, but it is performing better than I expected for comfort and warmth and, in my opinion, worth the money. If you are thinking in getting one, I would highly suggest you try it on and then sit on your scoot and go through the normal motions you go through when riding to make sure the tight waist does not get on the way.

I give it 4.5 stars out of 5. If it had some additional stretch on the waist I would give it the full 5 stars.
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
PTB

Post by PTB »

Any recommendations for summer-weight armored jackets?
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Nope,
I got the scoot in December so I am not sure what my needs will be in the summer. Once I see how hot it gets I will have to look around, but I am not expecting to get anything yet. Reason for it is that during my ealier years in Spain, I would ride all summer long with my full leathers and I would actually stay cooler than without them (and less sunburn).

Something to do with you body's water not evaporating as much when you are all covered up. Maybe some more intelligent person here can elaborate, or you can ask the next bedouine you come accross for the scientific explanation. :D

D.
NathanielSalzman

Post by NathanielSalzman »

I've got a JoeRocket summer jacket that I really like. It's full mesh with a removable rainproof liner, thick CE turtle-shell armor, and lots of adjustment points to get the fit just right. And the best part is that it's only $90. With the waterproof liner in it, it's actually surprisingly warm - it plus maybe a sweatshirt underneith and I'm comfortable all the way down to 32º. At higher temperatures, you can pull the liner out and it's a completely pass-through mesh. So you'll get lots of good fresh air through your jacket, but if you've gone with a lighter color, you'll have sunburn protection and you'll be a lot cooler than even wearing nothing at all.

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/mesh ... acket.html

And the scientific concept that EP_scoot is talking about is simply insulation. If it's warmer than 98.6º outside, then the air going by you is no longer carrying your body heat away (like the radiator in a car) but rather adding heat to your body (like you were in a convection oven). So just like clothing keeps your body heat in, it can block that heat from the outside from warming you up. Light colored clothing will also reflect a lot of the sun's heat energy off of you. My Phoenix jacket is white, as is my helmet, for this reason.
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

Great review. I also have the 5.0, but either I am a light weight or they have made some changes to the jacket in the last year. At the temps you mentioned I have worn the jacket, a Mountain Hardwear windproof fleece, and a sweatshirt and I will still be cold. And yes, it is kind of bulky with that many layers. With just a long sleeve t-shirt I am comfortable wearing the 5.0 in the 60's. Last summer I was not hot in the jacket while riding in the upper 70's/low 80's but would roast at stoplights. The 5.0's material does a decent job of breathing while riding. I am 5'9" 150 and my jacket fits well, although I feel choked if I zip the jacket up all the way. In my opinion it needs more material / free space in the upper chest and shoulders. Other than that it’s a great jacket. I love the style.
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

Nice review! I purchased the 5.0 a month or so ago as my first jacket, and am finding it to be very impressive in much the same manner you've found. I was also worried about that back pad swimming around, but you're right - it doesn't seem to do so on the body. I also haven't had any problems in 32.5 degree weather with just a single layer underneath (though I'm generally limited to 40mph tops for total rides of an hour or less).

However, I find after a good 10 Buddymile ride, the *shoulder* armor is pretty much always on the backs of my shoulders, rather than on top. Do you have this problem? Am I just too skinny/slumpy?

Hafta find a good seamstress...

(But you're right - all in all I'm very happy with the fit, visibility, style, and weight of the thing!)
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

My shoulder armor stays where is at, but I am probably heavier than you. Maybe that has something to do with it. I have an XL.

D.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Nice review, EP_scoot! I moved it to the Reviews forum, with a shadow in the general discussion area.
ModBud #442
ERik3tb

Post by ERik3tb »

polianarchy wrote:I moved it to the Reviews forum, with a shadow in the general discussion area.
Does that make the review a shadow of it's former self then?

It's a nice review overall. Makes me think I need to look into trying one one.
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

I haven't had any issues with the shoulder of back pads moving around. Are a lot of people experiencing this?
PTB

Post by PTB »

NathanielSalzman wrote:
I've got a JoeRocket summer jacket that I really like. It's full mesh with a removable rainproof liner, thick CE turtle-shell armor . . . .
Thanks! I ordered the Phoenix 4 mesh and a HJC Full-face AC-12. I got gray just because I don't want to have to keep a white one clean. I'm thinking I can layer up, use the liner, and so forth, to make it work in chillier temps, too.
rondothemidget

Corrazo 5.0

Post by rondothemidget »

Have been wearing my 5.0 for the past 700 miles and love it. On last night's ride, it went from 90 degrees inland to 60 degrees and foggy at the beach. Only wearing one layer underneath, I was sweating while gassing up but cooled off with all the zippers open when I started moving. And I was relatively warm after zipping everything up when I got to the coast.

Fabric has softened as I've worn it and could probably function as a regular jacket if I took out all the armor. I've also been able to jam it into my pet carrier and top case and not have it wrinkle or have the armor move around. I haven't experienced the floating armor issue. I've recently discovered the nifty little inside pocket that works perfectly for holding an iPod or cell phone.

My only pet peeve is that the velcro seam on the inside of the collar, when the two sides come together, seems to catch on my throat if I don't adjust the collar perfectly. That is a very minor irritation and I would still buy another if I had to replace it.

I would like to see how fellow owners use the chest pocket. I'm only using it as an extra vent at this time.
takora

Post by takora »

Thank you for this! I was looking at these earlier today and really liked them. You have addressed some of my practical concerns and I think I am going to go back and get one now!
walo

Post by walo »

nice article bro!