Tactical Bailout Bag: A Proper Review

Product reviews. Read-Only.

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

KRUSTYburger

Tactical Bailout Bag: A Proper Review

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Ok, alienmeatsack already posted a review of sorts in the thread about buying the bag, but
I figured I'd elaborate a little and give it it's own review thread since it is a nice bag indeed.

This is where the bag can be purchased:
alienmeatsack wrote:http://www.lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html
$19 on sale, available in OD Green, Black and Tan.
Here is the pocket measurement breakdown provided by a.m.s.:
alienmeatsack wrote:OK, here are pics of the bag for you guys to see. All sizes approx since the bag is flexible and
things can move to accomodate items.

Full set here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alienmeats ... 272118572/

On one side, it has 2 large pockets, one 8x4.5x2 and one 3x10x1.5, both zippered. One has the soft part of velcro on
it to stick your unit/group/whatever patches onto. And it has 3 fabric slots for a small flashlight and pens or similar.

The other side has 5 pockets, all with velcro fastened covers. 2 of them are 6x1.5x3 approx, one is half the height of those 2,
and one above it in the middle is 2 little 2x1.5x1.5 pockets with one single velcro fastened cover for both. Along this entire
side is one large pocket behind the smaller pockets, fasted at the top with velcro as well. Lined everywhere except where the
carry straps run up the sides with the soft side of velcro. It's thin, but could easily hold whatever you wanted, from papers to
maps, to well, use your imagination.

There are 2 large adjustable pockets on each end with long dual elastic straps that attach via velcro to the bag. They can
easily hold 16.9oz water bottles, etc.
ImageImage

The inside compartment is about 15"w x 4"d x 10"h, and has lots of room to expand to hold your stuff.

It also has a divider that goes lengthwise with a velcro piece on each end that can be removed,
and a small velcro flap in the middle of it to hold something.

The lining is black and soft, would be no problem to use for a laptop or something that needs
some babying. The bag itself is not lined with any kind of thick padding though.

It zips shut with 2 sturdy zippers with pull cord on them.

It has a nice adjustable padded shoulder strap, and extra loops to hook it to other stuff as needed.

The main carry handles are nice and sturdy, with a snap enclosure to hold them together.
The straps for these run down the sides and the bottom of the bag as well.

That's it. A nice quality bag for a nice price.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for me, I got my bag the other day and decided to show what I crammed in it to give you a reference as to size.

First, here is the majority of my scooter junk after I took it out of the various nooks and crannies it was previously stashed:

After a quick re-organization, everything is ready for it's new home in the bag:

Here's how everything fit in:

..................................some tools........................................................loads of ECS patches...............small stuff I don't want to lose goes in the small pockets :D

.......................manuals / papers........................................more patches / hardware / plugs / etc.............................................lightbulbs.............................

...electrical junk / more nuts & bolts..................reflective stuff / velcro.............................................old stock horn / 11 cans of cat food...................

And here it is with everything in it and still PLENTY of room left over! :clap:

I only put the cat food in there because I needed to get it out of the way and I didn't have anywhere else to put it at the time. I
will most likely put my socket set and other tools in the main zipper bag part. With all that in there it will likely be pretty heavy...
probably too heavy to carry around all the time, but I plan to keep it in one place where I can get to everything when I need it.
Obviously the weight depends on what you put in it. So that about sums it up... at under 30 bucks including shipping, it is
an excellent, well-made bag for keeping things separated and organized, and a lot cheaper than most! :wink:
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Dammit Krusty. I was doing so well at not jumping in on this one... :hit:

Nice review and excellent demonstration.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Scooter Hoot

Post by Scooter Hoot »

Mine just came the other day - my gf was convinced I had lost it after I was playing with it and giggling over the pockets for a good 30 min. So far it looks very well constructed and has a lot of space. My only challenge will be keeping it organized so I don't have to check every one of the 50 pockets for whichever thing it is that I'm looking for.
Angela

Post by Angela »

I think the boyfriend needs one of these.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Thanks for the review. I just ordered two - od and desert tan.
scoot_in_VA

Post by scoot_in_VA »

Really nice bag. In the very first picture it looks like that the long horizontal pocket at the bottom of the bag would be a good place for a laptop power cord.

Also thank so much for explaining about the cans of cat food. I was scratching my head wondering why you would take these on a scooter run. especially as I assumed it was to fight off hunger pangs and I didn't see a can opener in the pile of stuff from the bag....

:shock:
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

Dood, top notch bag filling skills you got there! :D

I have yet to fill mine with anything major, I did put on all of my buttons from MB.com and a Donnie Darko pin as well. Needs some patches and then I can use it.

It will get filled with stuff for the upcoming rally in KC I am sure.

:D
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

scoot_in_VA wrote:...especially as I assumed it was to fight off hunger pangs and I didn't see a can opener in the pile of stuff from the bag....
two words:

POP TOP. 8)

:lol:
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

Great job on the review.
I will be ordering one of these as soon as I can.

A MUST have.
PeterC

Tactical bailout bag

Post by PeterC »

I got mine a week ago. I was quite pleasantly surprised at the quality and the number of features/compartments, especially considering the low price. It makes most of the messenger bags on the market look like overpriced fashion accessories. The long compartment with a velcro closure is ideal for concealing a velcro-backed. holster. Plenty of storage for bottles, tools, spare parts, first aid kit, rescue blanket, etc.
Frankenscoot

Post by Frankenscoot »

I just got mine in yesterday. Best bag I own for sure. I'm quite the fan of having 1.6 million little pockets to store 2.3 million usual, random things. My SPAZ patch is going to go on the fron big pocket when I get it in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I is to good making it ride faster now it doesn't not have that part witch it didn't can have?"

http://www.ScooterDeviant.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Crap. I own probably almost a dozen bags. And I like this one.

Nice write up, everyone!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

When I ordered mine I contacted customer service and told them about the review and sent a link. Received a big thank you and "forwarding this to management" response.
Hey Eric, spose you could wangle a discount for MBers?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

DennisD wrote:Hey Eric, spose you could wangle a discount for MBers?
At this price, I'd feel guilty for asking!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Um, not on the bag, but regular stuff.
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

I need to get some patches on mine too. Looks good, I dig that Pabst patch! :D
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
EBee

Post by EBee »

ericalm wrote:Crap. I own probably almost a dozen bags. And I like this one.
Oh, I thought it was just me. Everyone has their own form of shopping therapy, I buy bags...just when I think I have found the ultimate, there's another one. I just bought a Timbuktu and now this. :roll:
"If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."--Steven Wright
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

Yeah, but this is about 1/4 or less the cost of the Timbuk2's, so you can afford to get several variants within the same budget :D

And some Tactical Shorts. For when you need to take a building full of terrorists and it's hot outside.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I would have bought one, but after shipping and tax it was $30. It's not as good a deal as I was hoping.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

NOW GET 15% OFF!!!!

Enter coupon code: MAY09

Wish they would've had that when I got mine! Enjoy! :D
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

k1dude wrote:I would have bought one, but after shipping and tax it was $30. It's not as good a deal as I was hoping.
Considering the normal price is $60?? Even after shipping and tax, that's half off!
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Cheshire wrote:
k1dude wrote:I would have bought one, but after shipping and tax it was $30. It's not as good a deal as I was hoping.
Considering the normal price is $60?? Even after shipping and tax, that's half off!
With the coupon code it's $25.98 including shipping... (yeah, I got another one :lol: , I can use it for my art junk).
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Cheshire wrote:
If you notice, everything on that site has a "normal" price. But it's one of those permanent sale price situations. They NEVER sell it for $60. It's a make-believe price.

But.....I'll grab one with that 15% off code. Thanks Krusty.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

KRUSTYburger wrote:NOW GET 15% OFF!!!!

Enter coupon code: MAY09

Wish they would've had that when I got mine! Enjoy! :D
Damn you, temptress!

Maybe I should throw some of my seldom-used bags on eBay… Hrm.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I bought 2. The shipping on the second one was only something like a buck more.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

k1dude wrote:I bought 2. The shipping on the second one was only something like a buck more.
You won't be disappointed k1dude. I ordered me a black one earlier today. Now I just have
to wait for that silly Taiwan airport strike to end so I can get my PowerWheels patch!!! 8)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'm thinking two of these and some Velcro straps and I could fashion some saddle bags.
Frankenscoot

Post by Frankenscoot »

Before you know it there's going to be clubs started up all acrossed the globe made up of people with this bag and many a fancy trick on how to mod it.
"I is to good making it ride faster now it doesn't not have that part witch it didn't can have?"

http://www.ScooterDeviant.com
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:I'm thinking two of these and some Velcro straps and I could fashion some saddle bags.
Dude! What a brilliant idea. I wonder how weather proof they are? Maybe they could be sprayed with some kind of waterproofing stuff...

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
ericalm wrote:I'm thinking two of these and some Velcro straps and I could fashion some saddle bags.
Dude! What a brilliant idea. I wonder how weather proof they are? Maybe they could be sprayed with some kind of waterproofing stuff...
There's a product (Nikwax Tech Wash) that will waterproof almost anything like this. You wash the bag in it (in a washing machine). People who've used it for riding jackets say it works quite well.

I was also looking at some of the other larger tactical bags that could work for this. I may hit some surplus stores this afternoon to see how I could make this work.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

In case anyone else was planning on getting one of these bags, the 15% off sale (coupon code: MAY09) will expire after today.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Frankenscoot wrote:Before you know it there's going to be clubs started up all acrossed the globe made up of people with this bag and many a fancy trick on how to mod it.
As well as the start of www.moderntacticalbailoutbag.com

:P
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

jmazza wrote:
Frankenscoot wrote:Before you know it there's going to be clubs started up all acrossed the globe made up of people with this bag and many a fancy trick on how to mod it.
As well as the start of www.moderntacticalbailoutbag.com

:P
Snagged!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I caved. Will be selling some other bags on eBay!
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

Eric, anything we might be interested in helping take off your hands, or shoulder, bagwise? :D
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

jmazza wrote:As well as the start of www.moderntacticalbailoutbag.com
I am such a domain whore...

http://www.moderntacticalbailoutbag.com/

Yeah, I should be WORKING and not playing today...

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

alienmeatsack wrote:
jmazza wrote:As well as the start of www.moderntacticalbailoutbag.com
I am such a domain whore...

http://www.moderntacticalbailoutbag.com/

:+!:
If I get mine and hate it (not likely), can we use your domain for a giveaway contest?
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

Sure. :D

I might put some more effort into the domain to make it look more like MB/MV but I doubt it. I may just put up the pics I did and the review/stuffing done in this thread and link to the bag on the site we got it.

Not sure why I needed the domain. But I am a whore for domains like I said. :D
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

just got mine on order I like the patches they have too
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

alienmeatsack wrote:http://www.moderntacticalbailoutbag.com/

:rofl:

Can I post my "mods" once I get all my patches sorted out? :D
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

Mine's on the way!
TVB

Post by TVB »

I went on a weekend excursion on my Buddy, and tested my Tactical Bail Out Bag as an alternative to buying a topcase for the stuff that couldn't be simply strapped to the scooter and wouldn't fit in the pet carrier. I used it for my rain gear, camera, tools, first aid kit, spare gas, compass, and sundries. I wore it messenger-bag style, with enough slack for the bag to rest on the seat behind me. When I went hiking in the dunes, I pulled out the things I obviously wouldn't need (e.g. rain gear, tools, gas) and brought the bag with me, which turned out to be a good move, as I got lost in the woods after dark and needed the flashlight. :) After due reflection, the TBOB is now on the official packing list for the "MI way" scoot around Lake Michigan.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Grrr. I still don;t have mine. I need to call LA Police Gear. I was supposed to pick it up there. Their instructions were to call. I called; they said they would call me when I could come. Just realized that was 5 weeks ago. D'oh!
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

That's sweet TVB! I use mine everyday as a tool bag, haven't taken any long scooter trips to bring it with me... Eric, can't you just go up there during business hours and pick it up? I mean, you already bought it and it's in stock, so why not?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

KRUSTYburger wrote:Eric, can't you just go up there during business hours and pick it up? I mean, you already bought it and it's in stock, so why not?
I'm going to call them tomorrow and bug 'em about it so we shall see. I kind of forgot about it!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:
KRUSTYburger wrote:Eric, can't you just go up there during business hours and pick it up? I mean, you already bought it and it's in stock, so why not?
I'm going to call them tomorrow and bug 'em about it so we shall see. I kind of forgot about it!
I was going to scoot over and get a black one but web site says they're on backorder... :(

KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:I was going to scoot over and get a black one but web site says they're on backorder... :(
Probably from the wave of MB members buying them up. :lol:
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

KRUSTYburger wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:I was going to scoot over and get a black one but web site says they're on backorder... :(
Probably from the wave of MB members buying them up. :lol:
I bet they're wondering what the heck hit them :lol: ... years go by, we got lotsa lotsa bags, plenty! Now we can't keep em in stock for day! What the...????

alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

Just got a notice that the BOBs are back in stock in all colors. If you wanted one and missed out, nows your chance...

ERIC, THE BAGS ARE CALLING YOUR NAME DOOD
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

I love mine I even velcrowed (srry if spelled that wrong) my spaz patch to the name tag section