Better Bike or Just Displacement Envy?

Our very own Thumper!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Better Bike or Just Displacement Envy?

Post by jrsjr »

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, right? Well get a load of this bike. It's from Mash, the French company that sells the same bike as Genuine (with extremely minor differences) manufactured by the same Chinese company as the G400. Mash has a new bike with American flat track inspired styling and a 650 motor.

Do y'all think Genuine might have a better chance in the USA market with this bike? Take a look.
Attachments
Mash 6.5
Mash 6.5
Mash 6 point 5.JPG (117.05 KiB) Viewed 7223 times
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Yes. I don't think you can purchase a Mash in the states, so we have to do the tracker/cafe/scrambler mods ourselves.
-if Genuine wants to compete in the small motorcycle market in the US, they need to, at a minimum, offer some parts or kits that will enable owners to make these mods. I think the G400C is a good bike, but they need to offer more customization options if they want to make up some ground on the Himalayans.
-You can buy tracker/cafe/scrambler items a la Carte, from various vendors, but they might not fit without significant mods or may not fit at all.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

That's a great looking bike. Personally, I think Genuine is too conservative to ever offer anything like that here in the US. Too bad Mash doesn't have any dealers here because they also offer a great looking scrambler version of their bike.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

It's very French. And it rings simulacrum to me, much like the offerings from BAAK https://www.baakmotocyclettes.com/en/: an overdone imitation of "American style" that results only in uncomfortable inauthenticity.
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I can tolerate an uncomfortable and unauthentic clone bike if it is priced accordingly. Prices of Chinese built bikes seem to be climbing for the street models.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

wheelbender6 wrote:I can tolerate an uncomfortable and unauthentic clone bike if it is priced accordingly. Prices of Chinese built bikes seem to be climbing for the street models.
I think it may be due to the tariffs imposed by Prez Frump.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

The Suzuki Savage/S40 is a 650cc, but it is not considered to be powerful or a good freeway bike with only 31 hp. It just depends on how Mash tunes that engine. I have heard that the Mash will make 40 hp.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Here is the latest variant of this bike to be introduced by Mash UK. Meet the Mash X-Ride Classic 650. If they could get these EPA/CARB certified, Genuine might be able to sell a few of these. What do you all think?
Attachments
Mash X-Ride Classic 650
Mash X-Ride Classic 650
Mash Xride.jpg (108.36 KiB) Viewed 7161 times
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

They will not sell any in the US if it takes 3 years to get emissions certified.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

That's a great looking bike. I would be interested if the price were right. Think I'd like a little bigger front wheel though.