Need help -No power after turning on ignition switch

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

onemilian

Need help -No power after turning on ignition switch

Post by onemilian »

Newbie and not a mechanic so forgive my ignorance as I am trying to learn about this. humbly asking for any advice as to problem below.

friend gave me his electric start 2008 Stella 2t. It had been sitting for a few years outside.

I cleaned out everything (carb, fuel, oil), and added missing CDI and battery and was able to get it running roughly with a purchased rebuilt carb. I now started having electrical problem below.

From beginning ignition switch seemed a little glitchy: I would turn the key and sometimes lights would come on and other times not and I would have to jiggle the ignition or turn it off and on a second time for the lights to come on. Other than that glitch, it worked 100% of the time over last couple of months.

So yesterday I started having issue with it not starting and traced to no spark on the plug. Checked all connections and reseated all the electrical plugs and connections and got it sparking. Turned off ignition and when I went to turn on ignition again, I no longer got power (no lights come on). Regardless of how much I jiggled and turned ignition switch on and off. Checked and reseated connections including disconnecting battery and got power again. Attempted to start and it went dead again. Seems like something is shorting and until I disconnect everything, it doesnt reset.

I am wondering if its a bad ac/dc regulator? Or PRD or cutout relay? Of course could be ignition switch itself but doesnt explain why it works after i disconnect and reseat everything. Dont think its kill switch either as that doesnt kill the lights.

Any advice/ideas on how to approach and determine issue would be deeply appreciated. I am in the dark trying to figure out next steps at the moment.

Thanks in advance.
Meis

Re: Need help -No power after turning on ignition switch

Post by Meis »

I would take a look at the grounds and make sure they are clean and tight. If the negative from the battery to the chassis becomes loose, these symptoms can present. Pull the ignition cylinder and make sure everything is connected as it should be back there as well.

In fact, if you want to get really serendipitous, check all of your wiring for breakages, insulator wear causing shorts/unintended grounds, loose connectors etc.
mjrally

Re: Need help -No power after turning on ignition switch

Post by mjrally »

Start with the easy stuff first. Key switch and then thumb kill switch (yellow thumb button). Isolate those wires and see if any are going to ground (killing ignition power).