Fuel gauge diagnosis

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

enottleson

Fuel gauge diagnosis

Post by enottleson »

Sorry, another question: how do I diagnose my non working fuel gauge/ float? I’m not sure which one is not working. I have the Stella manual but I’m not doing something right in the diagnostic procedure. It’s a 2005 2T.
Yes, we always have a reserve tank, but this is only my 2nd moto vehicle since 1986 with a fuel gauge. I’d like to try to make it work. The rest of the scoot is just so cool that it bugs me to have ‘half’ of the gauges not working.
2003stellaDave

Re: Fuel gauge diagnosis

Post by 2003stellaDave »

The fuel gauge not working is the most common problem with the Stella. Even if you fix it, it’s going to stop working after a while. I’ve just got use to it not working. Like you say, there’s a reserve tank.

If you really need to get it working, remove the sensor from the tank and check the connections and the angle of the metal rod that goes to the float. Sometimes if you bend that rod a little you’ll fix it.

Even when you have that gauge working it’s not very accurate. And once you’ve messed around with that sensor you’ll probably end up like the rest of us and just ride without it.

Good luck.
lookn4bikes

Re: Fuel gauge diagnosis

Post by lookn4bikes »

Mine starts working around half a tank for a brief period then drops again. There used to be a cool repair thread on StellaSpeed with pictures and a how to fix but I forgot to archive it. You will now when it'ss time to hit reserve.