2009 Stella touchup paints

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Emtwo

2009 Stella touchup paints

Post by Emtwo »

I have one green (avocado) and one black 2009 Stella 2t's. Both in need of minor paint touchups. Any suggestions on getting the right paints to fix minor scratches? Actually, the Avocado one is going to need a new front fender and some minor body work too. So I may need more than a couple ounces of that color.
Dooglas

Re: 2009 Stella touchup paints

Post by Dooglas »

Not much chance an old bottle of touch-up paint would a good match for an '09 scooter. Around here there are several auto paint shops that will scan a body panel and then mix whatever you order. For about $30 I got a 4 oz can of touch-up paint and a spray can. The match was quite good for the scooter in question (though not perfect, in fairness).
Buddy Kick, Vespa GTS/ABS, Buddy 125 (my SO's ride)
axman88

Re: 2009 Stella touchup paints

Post by axman88 »

I mix my own custom colors, using regular Rustoleum oil based brush on paint. Starting with white, black, red, blue, yellow and green, I've been able to mix whatever I've needed. Patience and a reasonably good eye for color helps. It probably wouldn't hurt to read a little about color theory. These are all gloss finishes, so I'm out of luck in reproducing matte or dull finishes.

This just worked quite well matching the Slate Blue on my 2012 4T. I just needed a little white and a touch of green added to Rustoleum's Royal Blue.

I brush on with a fine camel hair brush and wet sand. I've heard that this is how fine bodywork was done prior to DeVilbiss' invention of the handheld spray gun in 1907. I'm not going for a show quality finish. My goal is only to prevent rust and make a repair that will not draw attention to itself.
2011 Stella 150