Turn signal mods

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JoshWED

Turn signal mods

Post by JoshWED »

Anybody had any luck with these?

http://www.scooterworks.com/Turn-Signal ... 7C605.aspx

Am looking to change up the always-dim turn signals on the stella. Have considered going the LED route, but also wondering if there is a simpler fix (since LEDs require different loading to blink properly).
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

first thing is you would only need the lense and not the whole assembly

secondly if you put leds in just the rear you will not need a new flasher and you dont need an equlizer you jsut need the proper flasher if you go all led

if you look over on stella speed there is a thread that gives all the bulbs and the proper flasher

do a search or they will drill you a new hole
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

Thanks...i gleaned from stella speed your point about the rear flashers. I just ordered two 7507, 60 led towers from autolumination.

Will post the results.

Problem with the assembly/lens bit is that I can't find plain "clear" lenses like the luxus w/o the assembly.
JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

So my LED towers arrived from autolumination. I got the 7507 (euro type) tower with 60 LEDs. The difference between them and the stock bulbs is dramatic. Even in full day light, the LED is clearly visible. The video below is a night time comparison (LED on left, stock on right)...will do a day light version soon.

(unfortunately one tower was a dud...sent it back, so a replacement should be coming soon)

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x4mCk6O_7_c&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x4mCk6O_7_c&hl ... &version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>
puncturedsphere

Post by puncturedsphere »

JoshWED wrote:So my LED towers arrived from autolumination. I got the 7507 (euro type) tower with 60 LEDs. The difference between them and the stock bulbs is dramatic. Even in full day light, the LED is clearly visible. The video below is a night time comparison (LED on left, stock on right)...will do a day light version soon.
Thanks for the demonstration. I'm gonna order a set of those. My wife usually rides behind me and mentioned how dim the blinkers seem. I'm looking forward to the upgrade!
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

So you got this one?

And they fit just fine behind the lenses? Any chance you check to see if they fit in the front too? Or just a measurement of it would be great!
JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

Yes, those be the ones.

They fit behind the rear lenses fine. Make sure you pick-up the european style (7507); the guideposts on these models are offset (at about 4 and 8 o'clock) instead of being 180 degrees like 1156 bulbs. You can cram the 1156's in, but the 7507's are the true match.

I think there may be minor size issues getting them into the front lens, but another reason for leaving the front pair alone is the resistance differential. The LEDs draw a lot less power; if you drop below a certain threshold, the LED's won't blink correctly. Many others have reported that two LEDs on the rear blinkers still let the blinking occur correctly.

Of course, you can go to having all four: you'll need to change out the regulator or install some resistors in-line to the LEDs.

Search LED over on stellaspeed...there's a wealth of information.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Yeah, I don't really have rear turn signals right now per se... just liking to beef up any lights on me scoots. I wonder if they would fit as a Buddy rear turn signal.
craho

Post by craho »

Has anyone tried the 'superbirght' (like sylvania silverstar) incandescents that would be a your local auto parts store? Saw some today and wondered if it would be worth it to make the change before I dove into the LEDs.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

craho, I heard the silverstars are better than stock, but never heard of anyone trying anything called "superbright". If you don't want to spend the extra bucks on the good LEDs, it's better to get a really good incandescent cuz the cheap LEDs don't work so good.
craho

Post by craho »

superbright was my term. I was chasing my 2year old around Pep Boys so I didnt catch the labels the way I wanted to.
Thanks for the tip.