central PA to the beach, anyone? *updated*

Info on scooter gatherings of all types & sizes

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

paracer

central PA to the beach, anyone? *updated*

Post by paracer »

Would anyone be up for a ride from central PA to the Delaware Shore this summer?

There are some really nice roads from Harrisburg, PA to Rehoboth Beach, DE. Let me know if anyone is interested in a day trip, or an overnighter. Looks like it would be about a 180 mile trek, each way.

I have nothing planned as far as a date or anything. Any ideas?
Last edited by paracer on Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Sounds like it could be fun. I've not ridden a long 'destination' type trip in a while.
As for dates, I'll be open to whatever as long as I can (hopefully) request off from work.
Last edited by KABarash on Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Clydeo

Beach trip

Post by Clydeo »

If the timing worked out, my wife and I would be interested. We used to live near OCMD, and we always enjoyed staying at the campground at the Pocomoke State Park in near-by Snow Hill MD. They have hot showers, a nice pool, shade, and cabins, plus the tent sites aren't right on top of each other. The campgrounds right at the beach tend to be full all summer, but we have gotten lucky and found nice spots on Assateague Island at times.
We have made the trip from H-burg to Ocean City on the bike several times, and you are right, there are a lot of nice back roads routes to choose from.
paracer

Post by paracer »

My favorite part of the ride is rt 9 through Delaware. From Delaware City down to Smyrna. What are some of you favorite routes/roads?

My June is pretty well booked, but my July is pretty open. How would the Saturday after July 4th?
Clydeo

OC trip

Post by Clydeo »

I like PA 272 from Willow Valley to North East, MD. It's twisty and rural, not flat and straight like most of the Eastern Shore. But you need to keep an eye open for Amish buggies; I have had more than a few close calls.
July sounds good at the moment, but I will have to see how things at work are going. I would prefer to avoid the weekend traffic, if possible. Stop and go traffic is never much fun,but especially on the bike!
paracer

Post by paracer »

272 looks good.

Looks like 441 might be nice leaving Harrisburg, then cut across on 999 and 741 over to 272. 272 thru to to Northeast, MD. Would it be reasonable to take US 40 across to DE 72? Then take 72 over to 9. 9 runs all the way to Smyrna. At Smyrna, we could continue on DE 1. All the way to the beach.

Would there be a good way to avoid US 40 and DE 1?
Clydeo

Beach trip.

Post by Clydeo »

We take route 40 to Rt 869 to Rt 13 to Rt 113. It is easily managed by even s scooter. DE Rt 1 can be a bit much for a small bike, although my 250 manages it just fine.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Sounds good, I live about 3/4 mile off 441 about halfway between Falmouth and Bainbridge, I've ridden this route many times to Millersville, where my former lady friend lives, and beyond where I've picked up 222 to Port Deposit Md, there used to be a great crab place right on the water....
paracer wrote:272 looks good.

Looks like 441 might be nice leaving Harrisburg, then cut across on 999 and 741 over to 272. 272 thru to to Northeast, MD. Would it be reasonable to take US 40 across to DE 72? Then take 72 over to 9. 9 runs all the way to Smyrna. At Smyrna, we could continue on DE 1. All the way to the beach.

Would there be a good way to avoid US 40 and DE 1?
Nullius in verba
Clydeo

Beach trip

Post by Clydeo »

My boss is checking to see if she can free me up around that time. We are opening a new center "sometime" in July, so we are in the hands of some remodeling contractors at the moment.
paracer

Post by paracer »

That sounds good.

I know that it would be nice to do a ride during the week, but I know that at least for me, it will be tough to get a weekday off of work.

I am looking at a route that combines what has already been mentioned in this thread. This looks like a really entertaining journey.

Does anyone want to do anything at the beach? Or is this a ride, lunch, and return event? I'm cool with either one.
paracer

Post by paracer »

Here is a sample route from Harrisburg

http://mapq.st/1TlqhkZ

I think this keeps us off of highways that a too fast, and should also keep us out of heavy traffic for the most part.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I may just be having an issue with my iPhone translating the map quest link and/or route, but I'm seeing a bunch of 'highway' on that....

Maybe something 50cc 'friendly'? Though I have a 150, I'd like to see if younger son would join in as well, he rides a Fly 50.
paracer wrote:Here is a sample route from Harrisburg

http://mapq.st/1TlqhkZ

I think this keeps us off of highways that a too fast, and should also keep us out of heavy traffic for the most part.
Nullius in verba
Clydeo

Beach trip

Post by Clydeo »

Lol! On the weekends, a 50cc bike could ride DE Rt1 down and still keep up! Most of the "hi ways" on the Shore are either 2 lane roads or are fairly slow 4 lane roads, and Scooters in MD and DE ride on th shoulder (I used to ride an old Vespa moped around down there, and it's not hard) but I am sure we can come with a 50cc friendly route. Actually, the hardest part will be finding a suitable route in PA down to the shore.
Bill Viney, from Carlisle Cycle did the trip last year, and his group included a Roughhouse 50. He posted a blurb about it some where on this forum; I will see if I can find it.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Yes I understand about 'shore traffic' a bicycle can keep up on the weekends. But however on the onset of the trip, the directions show Rt 83 and 283 to Lancaster....
Nullius in verba
Clydeo

Shore trip

Post by Clydeo »

I guess I should have looked at the map! I was personally envisioning a trip down Rt 230 to Rt 272 to US40 to US 13, but I will be looking at some more rural routes, as well. Taking a 50 on those roads would be fine; in fact, I am wondering if I can get my wife to ride out 50 down, instead of riding with me on the bike!
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Yes, I was hoping that was just a 'fluke'. My almost 7 years with my Buddy I've only once had it on 283 and I want to keep it that way. It was for only 1/2 mile between Mt Joy and Salunga, it almost cost me my life when someone insisted on trying to pass me on my right when I was in the right lane!
Route 230 and/or 441 to 999 & etc are MUCH more sedate choices. I've found that with a little thought I can get most anywhere without the darned 4lanes....
Nullius in verba
Clydeo

Shore trip

Post by Clydeo »

I guess I should have looked at the map! I was personally envisioning a trip down Rt 230 to Rt 272 to US40 to US 13, but I will be looking at some more rural routes, as well. Taking a 50 on those roads would be fine; in fact, I am wondering if I can get my wife to ride out 50 down, instead of riding with me on the bike!
paracer

Post by paracer »

Oh my! I don't think the map posted correctly.

My route had 441 from Harrisburg down past Columbia. Then east to 272. 272 down to Northeast, MD. RT 40 east into Delaware. Then RT 9 south to Dover. Then south to RT 13/113.

I'm not looking at a map at this moment, so I know I am missing a couple little intermediate steps and a couple possible routes that are lesser travelled roads. I will look at the map during my lunch time and add more detail.

Scooters on 283 would be a hoot! :shock:
paracer

Post by paracer »

From Harrisburg:

230 to 441 at Middletown

441 to 999 at Washington Boro

999 to 741 near Lancaster

741 to 272 at Willow Street

272 to 7 at Northeast.

7 to 40 at Elkton

40 to 72 to 9 near Red Lion

DE RT 9 will be great for a 50. It's more of a local road that runs through the tidal areas.

9 to 8 at Dover

8 to 13 at Dover

13 to 15 at Viola

At Milford, could take 1 all the way to Rehoboth

or...

113 south to Georgetown, then Rt 9 to Rehoboth.
Clydeo

Sounds good to me!

Post by Clydeo »

Sounds like a plan to me! I know all of those roads well, and they are all fairly scooter friendly.
paracer

gas/rest stops

Post by paracer »

I'm still thinking about logistics here.

Since I have never been a part of organizing a ride, I wanted to ask...

How often should we stop? Every 50 miles? 70 miles?

I am looking at the route and the map to consider when and where we might stop along the way.
KABarash

Re: gas/rest stops

Post by KABarash »

paracer wrote:I'm still thinking about logistics here.

I am looking at the route and the map to consider when and where we might stop along the way.
Pre-planning, why didn't I think about it? :P
No, in all seriousness, what's the shortest range of the smallest gas tank of the scooters in the group? Stops should by gauged by that or we carry extra on board fuel. Maybe stops should be gauged by how long someone's rump can stand being in the saddle without the discomfort becoming a distraction. Maybe the thought of "hey cool, this is a great place to stop because it's 'cool' and a great place for a 'nosh'" etc and etc.
Holy *Quack*, I've never had to put too much thought into those things. Any long trip I've gone on on the scoot I've either been on my own or with just one other rider to whom we'd just communicate with hand signals and/or pull off when the spirit moves. (OK I lied, I've been on a few 'rally rides' and someone else did the pre-planning.)
I hate to do this to you, but I'll vote for 50-70 miles or 60-90 minutes or a Sheetz or 7Eleven or just decent fuel and/or cold drink stops.
Nullius in verba
giddyup98

Re: gas/rest stops

Post by giddyup98 »

I've been hosting a large, organized moped/scooter ride for the last 14 years. I try to stop every 30-45 minutes for a gas stop or food/drink break. Any more than 45 minutes, and most people (especially rookie group riders) start to get mentally fatigued.

My rides are all about the social aspects of getting people with common interests together, and less about making it an iron butt event. It all depends on what your goals are. If you have to cover a lot of distance, then maybe your breaks could be spread out a little further. My rides are between 75-90 miles, so I can afford to stop more frequently than a longer ride.

KABarash wrote:
paracer wrote:I'm still thinking about logistics here.

Pre-planning, why didn't I think about it? :P
No, in all seriousness, what's the shortest range of the smallest gas tank of the scooters in the group? Stops should by gauged by that or we carry extra on board fuel. Maybe stops should be gauged by how long someone's rump can stand being in the saddle without the discomfort becoming a distraction. Maybe the thought of "hey cool, this is a great place to stop because it's 'cool' and a great place for a 'nosh'" etc and etc.
Holy *Quack*, I've never had to put too much thought into those things. Any long trip I've gone on on the scoot I've either been on my own or with just one other rider to whom we'd just communicate with hand signals and/or pull off when the spirit moves. (OK I lied, I've been on a few 'rally rides' and someone else did the pre-planning.)
I hate to do this to you, but I'll vote for 50-70 miles or 60-90 minutes or a Sheetz or 7Eleven or just decent fuel and/or cold drink stops.
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
paracer

Post by paracer »

Here's my thoughts...

I figure 70 miles should be doable for the majority of scoots. Anyone think differently?

We could use the PA State Capitol building as a starting point. It's a good landmark and a place for a group photo perhaps. There is also a good breakfast spot at the corner of Third and North St adjacent to the capitol building. Anyone wanting to join the group further south could meet up with us on the way out of the city.

If we get moving around 8:00 am, we should get to the shore around 1:00 pm or so.

70 miles from Harrisburg puts us around Nottingham, PA. There's a Wawa there for gas, drinks, and snacks. This is close to the PA/MD border.

We would be able to stop earlier to rest before then if needed, maybe in Willow Street or Colombia.

The next planned stop might be In Delaware around Newark. It would be good to stop there as our ride down DE rt 9 is rather scenic. We might stop along this route somewhere to see some sights, maybe.

Rt 9 would have us arriving in Dover. This is another good place to stop and would set us up for one last push into Rehoboth. Should we plan a stop somewhere between Dover and the beach?

How about a lunch stop on the Boardwalk? Grotto Pizza? something else? Anyone have any favorites?
paracer

Post by paracer »

Thanks everyone for the input. I've never organized a scooter ride, but I have organized a number of other events for years. I enjoy the logistical challenge.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

I've ridden down to OC MD with friends on a 50cc. I would suggest Route 8 through Dover, and then find route 15 and follow that all the way to 15/14 in Mildford, and hit up 30 down to rt 9.

Traffic on 113, 13, or 1 can be very fast. We had to hug the shoulder and it wasn't much fun going WOT for miles on miles.

I love route 9 from Delaware City to Dover!
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
paracer

Post by paracer »

RoaringTodd wrote:I would suggest Route 8 through Dover, and then find route 15 and follow that all the way to 15/14 in Mildford, and hit up 30 down to rt 9.
I like it! That avoids a little 13/1
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

So, I'm thinking why ride up to the Capital to meet you all there when you'll be coming down 441 nearly right past my house?
Because that's the 'jumping off' spot. I like that idea.
If'n I happen to be delayed in leaving the house, you don't have to wait on me, I can just jump into the group as you pass or meet you at the Sheetz in Marietta. I've three options, I like it....
Nullius in verba
paracer

The official journey to the sea post

Post by paracer »

** Official-ish Post**

Date: Saturday July 9, 2016 (rain date Sunday July 10, 2016)

Starting: We will gather at 7:10 am at the rear of the PA State Capitol Building. We will be leaving at 7:30 am.

The Route: Upon leaving Harrisburg, we will continue on Rt 230 to Middletown, where we will take Rt 441 southward. We will stop briefly at the Sheetz in Marietta. We should arrive at the Sheetz around 8:15 am.

Once leaving Sheetz, we will continue south on 441 to Rt 999. In Willow Street, we will continue on 272 south. We will continue on 272 until we reach the Wawa in Nottingham, PA. This should be at about 9:20 am. This would be a good opportunity for gas/snacks/drinks/facilities. We will stop here for about 15 minutes or so.

After departing the Wawa, we will continue on 272, into Maryland, and joining up with Rt 40. Route 40 will intersect with Rt 72 in Delaware, which then links to Rt 9. In Delaware City, we will stop at the Valero for a quick stop which should be at about 10:20 am.

Rt 9 is a blast. We will continue on Rt 9 all the way to Dover, DE at Rt 8. We will stop at the Speedway where Rt 8 crosses Rt 13. We will stop there for about 15 minutes or so before we depart for the final leg of the trip. We should be able to reach the Speedway at about 11:30 am.

Leaving the Speedway, we will continue on 8 until reaching Rt 13. After a short trip south on 13, we will link to Rt 15, then over to 113. Then, we will cut across on Rt 16 at Ellendale. At Milford, the home of Dogfish Head Brewing, we will take Rt 5 southward to Rt 9. Route 9 takes us to Lewes, where its a quick trip down Rt 1 to the boardwalk. We ought to be able to see the sea by about 1:00 pm.

Long story short: 230>441>999>272>MD>272>40>DE>40>72>9>8>13>15>16>5>9>1

The return journey will be a doubling back of the same route. Just to make sure that tires wear evenly, you know...

Lunch: I'm thinking Grotto on the boardwalk? I'm open to suggestions and last minute whims.

Extras: We may stop somewhere along Rt 9 before Dover as there are some good photo ops. I have set up the rest stops so that there is no more than 50 miles between any stops. Most should be able to make it with fuel stops at the Wawa in Nottingham and the Speedway in Dover, but gas is available at each planned stop.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

(psst.... scooter time... don't be set on times)
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Awesome planning. You're really laid out the plans. Ive ridden 3/4 that route. You've really plotted this out well. I can't make this ride because ironically enough I'll be at Bethany beach vacationing with my family.

Have a Blast.

Todd
paracer

Post by paracer »

RoaringTodd wrote:Awesome planning. You're really laid out the plans. Ive ridden 3/4 that route. You've really plotted this out well. I can't make this ride because ironically enough I'll be at Bethany beach vacationing with my family.

Have a Blast.

Todd
You're more than welcomed to meet up with us for lunch if you can make it. Looks like about 13 miles by car. :)
paracer

Post by paracer »

We're just under 3 weeks away from the big day. I wanted to get an idea of who would be interested at this point.

Who's in?
paracer

Post by paracer »

looks like it's just me. Happy trails, everybody!
iwannascoot

Post by iwannascoot »

I'm surprised no one wants to join you on this ride. Enjoy

Billy
paracer

Post by paracer »

iwannascoot wrote:I'm surprised no one wants to join you on this ride. Enjoy

Billy
It's crazy, but true. I'm thinking about just riding down to the beach this weekend. Fourth of July traffic and all. I need an adventure.
paracer

Post by paracer »

So, I ventured out yesterday morning on my march to the sea. The only thing that ended up getting burned was my exposed skin.

I left Harrisburg just before 7:00 am. I made great time to Dover and was eating a Wawa hoagie just before 11:30 am. Being just myself, I didn't stop for too long at any rest stops.

By 1:00, I was sitting in shore traffic along De Rt 1. The last 10 miles took just over an hour. An hour baking in the sun at the hottest part of the day. This was normal beach traffic, plus holiday traffic, plus a broken down bus. I ended up skirting around a decent portion of it by running through shopping center parking lots.

Finally parked about a block from the boardwalk at 2:30, had a Kohr Bros frozen Custard, walked around a bit, shopped for a gift for the wife (found an awesome retro shop http://www.gidgetsgadgetsrehoboth.com/), walked a bit more. I have never seen the beach so packed full of blankets and umbrellas in my life. It took a good five minutes to weave my way from the boards to the water. The water looked maybe a bit more calm and clear than is typical for a Delaware beach.

I was back on the road at about 5:30 pm. I think a little later than I had intended. I took largely the same route home. For the sake of expediency, I took Rt 1 from the beach up to Dover, then connected to 13 after filling with gas.

I ended up missing a turn, or turning too early, and took a Detour through Newark. It worked out fine as I am fairly knowledgeable of where numbered routes are on the map. I don't think I wasted any time on the detour. In the end, I pulled into Harrisburg at 10:30 pm

trip notes:
Well worth going, but this is NOT a day trip. A hotel in Rehoboth is a must for me and my twisted spine.
SPF 30 sunblock doesn't cut it. I am red as a tomato in a few spots.
The Genuine Buddy 125 will handle a full day of 50+ mph riding without a hiccup. What an awesome scoot!
I need a full facemask for my helmet, both clear and smoked. The bugs (mayflies) were thick.
I should remember to take my clear mask... The bugs really came out after dark.
My entire trip was 426 miles. I don't know how that compares to others, but I need a day to recuperate.
paracer

Post by paracer »

So, I ventured out yesterday morning on my march to the sea. The only thing that ended up getting burned was my exposed skin.

I left Harrisburg just before 7:00 am. I made great time to Dover and was eating a Wawa hoagie just before 11:30 am. Being just myself, I didn't stop for too long at any rest stops.

By 1:00, I was sitting in shore traffic along De Rt 1. The last 10 miles took just over an hour. An hour baking in the sun at the hottest part of the day. This was normal beach traffic, plus holiday traffic, plus a broken down bus. I ended up skirting around a decent portion of it by running through shopping center parking lots.

Finally parked about a block from the boardwalk at 2:30, had a Kohr Bros frozen Custard, walked around a bit, shopped for a gift for the wife (found an awesome retro shop http://www.gidgetsgadgetsrehoboth.com/), walked a bit more. I have never seen the beach so packed full of blankets and umbrellas in my life. It took a good five minutes to weave my way from the boards to the water. The water looked maybe a bit more calm and clear than is typical for a Delaware beach.

I was back on the road at about 5:30 pm. I think a little later than I had intended. I took largely the same route home. For the sake of expediency, I took Rt 1 from the beach up to Dover, then connected to 13 after filling with gas.

I ended up missing a turn, or turning too early, and took a Detour through Newark. It worked out fine as I am fairly knowledgeable of where numbered routes are on the map. I don't think I wasted any time on the detour. In the end, I pulled into Harrisburg at 10:30 pm

trip notes:
Well worth going, but this is NOT a day trip. A hotel in Rehoboth is a must for me and my twisted spine.
SPF 30 sunblock doesn't cut it. I am red as a tomato in a few spots.
The Genuine Buddy 125 will handle a full day of 50+ mph riding without a hiccup. What an awesome scoot!
I need a full facemask for my helmet, both clear and smoked. The bugs (mayflies) were thick.
I should remember to take my clear mask... The bugs really came out after dark.
My entire trip was 426 miles. I don't know how that compares to others, but I need a day to recuperate.
cheapeto

Post by cheapeto »

Hey paracer,
I had first read about this trip from the 3 mile island scooter club, on their yahoo page, as I try and ride with them when possible, but just a few rides.

I had plans for this date, a few months ago and could not break them to go on the trip you planned.

I think you planned very well myself.

I ride a Honda PS250, and live in the York area. If you do this run again I'd like to know about it, or one like it.
I've toured down into North Carolina a couple of times, to ride at a couple of CON rides the Ruckus/Grom folks put together.

400 plus miles is longer then a SCB leg!! It's also about my daily mileage limit also.

Great road planning man!!
paracer

Post by paracer »

I think I would do the trip again, but it would have to include an overnight stop. In fact, if there was an overnight, the trip might be from Harrisburg to Chincoteague Island, VA. That would be a good 300 miles each way.

Hmmm... I might have to work on setting up a ride for late spring of 2017.