Buddy 125 bar end weight

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

DeeDee

Buddy 125 bar end weight

Post by DeeDee »

Check it out MB think tank: I have my headset apart to paint the plastic and install LED lights. My scooter has always had a bit of front end wobble, now that I think of it, my old 125 had it as well. I installed a set of large bar end weights on my Vespa GT200 after I installed a top case. It dramatically reduced the front wobble on it. I don't want to add additional width to my handlebars. I pull in and out through my shop man door. It's already a tight fit. I picked up a set of exercise leg weights from the thrift store for $2. I cut a rubber stopper and drove it into the handlebar 4". I laid the scooter on it's side, and filled the handle bar with shot from the exercise weights. I cut off the end of a cork, coated the edge with E6000, and drove it into the end. Tomorrow I'll do the throttle side. I'm installing new grips when it's all done, I'll post a few more pictures along the way.
Attachments
Shot, rubber stopper and cork
Shot, rubber stopper and cork
I'll trim off the cork, and install a new grip
I'll trim off the cork, and install a new grip
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
tenders

Re: Buddy 125 bar end weight

Post by tenders »

Ths is an interesting hack. Is it a common one? I’ve never seen it before. How much weight do you think you have in each side?

I wonder if there’s any downside or risk to possibly having unequal weight inside the handlebars, or if the distribution of the weight isn’t quite the same on both sides. Probably not.
DeeDee

Re: Buddy 125 bar end weight

Post by DeeDee »

I measured out and placed 1/4 pound in each end. Adding weight to the bar ends is a pretty common practice. I read about others doing this on different forums. I was interested in seeing if it makes any difference on how the front end feels, but I wasn't going to spend a lot of money doing it. When I saw that weight strap sitting on the thrift store shelf, I took it as a sign. My grips were shot, and I had been wanting to replace them. I'll flush my front brake fluid, install LED lights in various places and paint my headset while I have it all apart. I went for retro looking grips. I'm going to cover them with some thick heat shrink I bought from AliExpress.
Attachments
New grips.
New grips.
I picked up a complete set of Italia parts minus the headset.
I picked up a complete set of Italia parts minus the headset.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3