I burnt through another Genuine stator.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

DeeDee

I burnt through another Genuine stator.

Post by DeeDee »

Hello Genuine Buddy fans. A year ago my 125 had a burning smell coming out of the right side near the air fan. I found small burn spots on some of the winding insulation. I pulled that stator (my bike was right at 11,000 miles) and replaced it with a used one off a 2007 w/ 6,000 miles on it. I now have 21,000 miles on the bike and I just replaced the stator with a new New NCY I bought off Amazon. For the last week or so, the bike would die at idle. I could give it gas at the stop light to keep it running, but the minute I quit doing this, It would die. I had this behavior right about the same time I swapped out my first stator. I spent two days cleaning the fuel system thinking that was reason my scooter was dying at idle. It ended up being a bad spark plug cap. It wasn't my cap this time. I hear good things about the NCY stator. I took the scooter out for 20 miles this afternoon, and all seems correct.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-01-21 7.40.24 PM.png
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
scootERIK

Re: I burnt through another Genuine stator.

Post by scootERIK »

So far my two NCY stators have been super reliable, they seem to last well over 40k(I think I have one with ~60k on it.)

I'm at the point where pretty much the first thing I do when I swap in an engine is put an NCY stator in. I would rather have an NCY stator with 40k on it than a stock stator with 4k.

*I have no experience with Genuine/PGO oem stators made after ~2014 so there is a chance the newer ones are better.
DeeDee

Re: I burnt through another Genuine stator.

Post by DeeDee »

Genuine quality on some of their components seemed to improve with later years. The OEM stock is now a Forsa, the gas tank cap gasket also lasts longer. The only experience I have with bad stators are on the early 125s. I know that alloy wheels sure don't play well with mag chloride. I've ran into a slew of tires that were near impossible to seal at the bead over the last year. All on aluminum wheels. I'm happy with Buddy's steel wheels.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3