2013 buddy 50 lemon head

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

TurtleRoseTrucking

2013 buddy 50 lemon head

Post by TurtleRoseTrucking »

Change gas, gas filter, plug, cleaned carburetor, then just bought a new one.

I can get it to start by placing my hand over the carburetor. (Removed the air filter and assembly). My hand even gets wet from fuel. After it starts, I'll remove my hand and the scooter dies with a few seconds unless I cover the inlet again and uncover it over and over.

I'm at a loss in what to check next.

It ran great when before storing it. It sat for 4 years. Now I'm trying to get it running for my next kid for her work.

Thank you for any advice
sc00ter

Re: 2013 buddy 50 lemon head

Post by sc00ter »

Did you buy a real OEM Genuine carb or a generic Amazon "works on the following..." carb? Why are you trying to start it without the air filter on?

I know a Yamaha Zuma 2-stroke runs like crap without the air filter installed but I'm not sure about a Buddy 50.
TurtleRoseTrucking

Post by TurtleRoseTrucking »

It was a carburetor from a buddy dealer. As for the air filter. I have tried both on and off.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I hate messing with carbs. When I built silly fast Yamaha Zuma 2-strokes I would bribe my friend to do the final tuning for me. I would get everything "Good enough." and he would tune it to perfection.

If it's a real Genuine carb for your Buddy they should come pretty close to being factory set already. Check the jets to see if they are the correct ones. Check the float height as well. The 50cc carb is very simple compared to the 125cc version.

Do you have a scooter shop in the area? Just have them dial it in? A motorcycle shop with a knowledgeable 2-stroke guy can dial it in as well.

I would love a Lemon Head Buddy! I got into ebikes now so I only a few limited edition models could sway me to get another moped. A Black Cat RH50 is another one.