Buddy 125 Valve Adjustment

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

kalajosh

Buddy 125 Valve Adjustment

Post by kalajosh »

Hi,

Has anyone done this and can explaine how to do it? When you put the valve cover back on do you need to seal it with valve sealer? How do you make the gear move to allign the holes? What tools to use?
sc00ter

Re: Buddy 125 Valve Adjustment

Post by sc00ter »

It's covered in the service manual in good detail. It's been awhile since I've done Buddy valves but I own one now. What I recall that's not mentioned in the service manual. You have to put the scooter off the stand/on 2 wheels to get clearance for the valve cover.

I also don't recall using any additional sealant. On my Liberty I used a dab of grease to hold the gasket in place when putting the valve cover back on so maybe that applies to the Buddy? I honestly don't think so.

Buy a service manual unless you like looking at a screen and getting it dirty turning the pages.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

You don't need sealer to put the valve cover back on. There is a rubber o-ring so you just tighten the bolts.

Basic process to get to the valves is remove the panel that sits behind your legs when riding. Then remove the sparkplug. Then remove the seat and bucket. Next remove the valve cover. Sometimes the valve cover will come off with the scooter on the centerstand or you might need to rock it onto the back tire or even take it off the stand to get the engine to pivot down to make room. Now you will use your kickstarter to turn the engine over until the marks line up, you use your hand on the kickstart lever. Or the manual tells you to rotate the engine using the fan.

Tools- I don't remember all the sizes but here are some
.08mm feeler gauge or if you don't have that a .03 inch(.076mm) will work.
8mm and 10mm sockets
an 8 mm? maybe a 6mm? wrench for the locking nut
a small adjustable wrench to hold the valve in place, a tiny wrench would be better.
pliers to remove the vent tube clamp
sparkplug wrench
#2 phillips screwdriver

I think that's all the tools but I might be missing something. The feeler gauge is the only special tool you will need.

http://www.modernbuddy.com/pdf/buddy125 ... manual.pdf
I don't think the manual is 100% accurate since it says to remove the cylinder head.
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

Assuming a 150 is a lot like a 125...

Nobody told me about taking the scoot off the center stand to get the valve cover off. But I was able to wiggle it out just fine.

For the locking nut... for whatever reason, an 8mm wrench was too small and a 9mm felt too big. It makes no sense, but an 11/32" wrench was juuuust right.

Harbor Freight sells a feeler gauge set that includes .08mm.
kalajosh

Post by kalajosh »

I found a good YouTube video on it.

https://youtu.be/U4ItB9M-hnI