Buddy 125, burning smell coming from right side

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

DeeDee

Buddy 125, burning smell coming from right side

Post by DeeDee »

Hello Modern Buddy. My 2007 125 has about 15,000 miles on it. The last couple of days when I'm riding I catch a wiff of something burning down near the stator. I pulled seat bucket, no smell near the carb. It's coming from down near the flywheel. Anyone been here before? Thank you in advance.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
scootERIK

Re: Buddy 125, burning smell coming from right side

Post by scootERIK »

The only time I have had a burning smell by the flywheel is when I spill oil on the exhaust or hit my pants on the exhaust. It's pretty easy to see if you have stuff burnt onto the exhaust.

A few other thoughts would be that something got sucked into the flywheel/fan area and is rubbing the plastic. Or something came loose and is rubbing. I don't know if the stator makes enough power to melt itself. It could be up by the cylinder but the smell is coming out at the flywheel, but you would also be able to smell it on the left side by the kickstand when the engine is running since that is where most of the air comes out.

If it was me and the smell was strong I would probably open up the the right side and inspect the fan, flywheel, and stator. At least I would know that those parts aren't the problem.

Sorry I can't give a better answer.
DeeDee

Re: Buddy 125, burning smell coming from right side

Post by DeeDee »

Thanks for the replay Erik. There's nothing on the exhaust. It's definitely coming from the fan / stator area. When I shut the scooter off, and shove my nose near the fan opening, it's a strong smell. As soon as the weather improves here, I'm pulling the fan cover and flywheel. I'll check all the connections going in and out of the stator. Good news is a NCY stator is still only $50.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3