Really cold weather coming….

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Scootergoddess

Really cold weather coming….

Post by Scootergoddess »

So we are going to have crazy arctic cold here over Christmas. Wind chills at -25! Real temps around 0. For at least three days. I am worried about my scooters because we do not have a garage. Will a shed be enough protection? I am still riding regularly, but won’t be riding in that extreme cold, obviously. Advice greatly appreciated. Thanks and happy holidays!
scootERIK

Re: Really cold weather coming….

Post by scootERIK »

It should be fine. My scooter lives in an unheated garage in Wisconsin. About the only thing I do is pull the battery out if I know the scooter isn't going to be run for a while(I put the battery in the basement which is about 50-60 degrees.) Filling up the gas tank with ethanol free gas and adding some fuel stabilizer wouldn't hurt. I will also put some wood or cardboard under the front tire to keep it off the ground, I don't know if it helps but I still do it.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

My scoots live in an un insulated garage and they do fine in very cold weather. Only thing you might consider is running a Battery Tender type device for the battry, but then again I never did when I lived in Pennsylvania.
Scootergoddess

Post by Scootergoddess »

Thanks for the reassurance. I will ride them both for next two days, then hope for the best for the 3 day frigid cold snap… then ride again by Monday when temps go above freezing. Its just that this is the first time I havent had a garage and my bikes just sit under a carport.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

If you're using the recommended 15w40 engine oil in these extreme cold temperatures be sure to let your scooter warm up plenty before you take off.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-12-20 9.51.44 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-12-20 9.51.44 PM.png (284.9 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3