maintenance question (Valves, ISC) on new Buddy Kick

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mvukin

maintenance question (Valves, ISC) on new Buddy Kick

Post by mvukin »

Hello MB Community. First post here after finally acquiring a lightly used 2021 Buddy Kick. Only 450 miles so anticipating first service. I'm fairly competent as a DIY mechanic having checked but not adjusted valves on simple thumper motorcycles in past and handled other routine chores. I see a lot of info on traditional Buddy but surprisingly not the Buddy Kick as my local shop says it's the most in-demand scooter they are selling (and they also do Piaggio, Vespa, a few other no names).

Does anyone know of a good tutorial on valve check? I understand this engine has 4 valves instead of two. Also info on finding TDC by manipulating transmission components, etc. Also any thoughts on whether changes to valve spacings are often indicated at this low mileage for this engine?

Also noticed the ISC valve inspection is called for at 500 miles. If my idle speed is okay does that imply it works okay? Are there procedures I should follow here to ensure it's working okay?

I am new to understanding the transmission setup on CVT scooters. Any tutorials on the workings and general maintenance/variables? I see people talk about rollers and weights a lot ....

Thanks all!
Neil82

Re: maintenance question (Valves, ISC) on new Buddy Kick

Post by Neil82 »

Welcome and congrats on purchasing a Kick! I've never done maintenance (yet) on valves or CVT.

Found this post. Not sure if it'll help.

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32752
2022 Buddy 170i
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Can you order a service manual? The one for the Buddy is just good enough for a Do It Yourself person. I'd look into buying a service manual though.
mvukin

Post by mvukin »

Sadly have not been able to find the service manual anywhere online for free or sale. I do often find these documents helpful and am glad to hear it's been useful for OG Buddy riders. I'm surprised given how long the Kick has been around that it's not readily available. I'll try asking the local shop. If anyone else has a resource to access this document I'd certainly appreciate the link.
mvukin

Post by mvukin »

Well for anyone following along, I went to my local Genuine dealer this evening and he said the following;

In contrast to owner's manual statement about valve check at first 500 mi service, Genuine does NOT require this for warranty to remain valid. He noted discrepancies like this pop up time to time but that it is not required for warranty - so presumably not really important after first 500 miles. He even downplayed it at subsequent services unless there were problems. If I can't find directions/service manual for the Kick engine, perhaps I will approach it casually.

Service manual not available for purchase, as far as he knows. But he said if he could find a pdf he'd email to me at no charge. If you need it, feel free to message me in case I do end up receiving it :D

I found a great vid on youtube explaining how to remove front leg shield panel and merely attach already present wiring harnesses to activate turn signals on front leg shield. I am leaving on the DOT ones for now but can imagine the more streamlined look may be nice at some point.

Have a good Thanksgiving everyone.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

As I've never seen a Kick in person I still suspect that it's easy to self service. Doing service on the Buddy 125 was easy, and the service manual made the finer things-like getting top dead center-easier. If I stop in my local Genuine dealer I'll ask about a service manual for a Kick. It'll give me a reason to see what China scooters they're hawking. Currently carrying a new brand called Italica Motors.