Top speed Buddy 50???

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Scootergoddess

Top speed Buddy 50???

Post by Scootergoddess »

Anyone else manage to get over the 40 mph range on a stock (but derestricted) Buddy 50? I hit 42 (by GPS- Speedo read 45). I thought the top end speed would be a bit higher, so I am curious to hear what others have discovered. Thanks!
sc00ter

Re: Top speed Buddy 50???

Post by sc00ter »

45ish mph completely derestricted is normal. You can get a bit more with the full NCY transmission upgrade and the free flow tuned exhaust. I still look at the Rough House and that's all I'd do to it if I buy one. It's a stock 50cc moped, over 40mph isn't that bad. Ride a 4-stroke 50cc China scooter and experience a truly slow scooter! Yuck!
Neil82

Post by Neil82 »

Does anyone have experience with the Scooterworks sport exhaust? Or what's a good exhaust upgrade for Buddy 50?
2022 Buddy 170i
Neil82

Post by Neil82 »

@Scootergoddess that's about same top speed I can get on my 2021 Buddy 50. Derestricted with no other mods.
2022 Buddy 170i
Scootergoddess

Post by Scootergoddess »

I thought I would get closer to 45 mph on a derestricted Buddy 50… I confess I am a tad disappointed. 42 is the same top speed I used to get on my old Metropolitans. But hey. At least my Buddy 50 is a LOT quicker off the line! I can keep up with traffic that way.
Scootergoddess

Post by Scootergoddess »

I thought I would get closer to 45 mph on a derestricted Buddy 50… I confess I am a tad disappointed. 42 is the same top speed I used to get on my old Metropolitans. But hey. At least my Buddy 50 is a LOT quicker off the line! I can keep up with traffic that way.
decro

Post by decro »

I am getting about the same as you. From searching around, I saw a dealership prep video about a gasket connecting the exhaust. They switched it to one that was wider in diameter.

Possibly this is the problem since this part would be an added cost to the dealer?
Neil82

Post by Neil82 »

Scootergoddess wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:31 pm I thought I would get closer to 45 mph on a derestricted Buddy 50… I confess I am a tad disappointed. 42 is the same top speed I used to get on my old Metropolitans. But hey. At least my Buddy 50 is a LOT quicker off the line! I can keep up with traffic that way.
Double check your tire pressure. If pressure is low, that could slow you down a little. How many miles do you have on your Buddy?
2022 Buddy 170i
Scootergoddess

Post by Scootergoddess »

Just about 350. I waited until past 300 to open up a bit, and I only did it for less than 60 seconds on a flat, just to see what she could do. I used GPS to record the ride, and top speed was 42. I normally only ride 30-40 mph because those are the roads i commute on… but i wanted to know if she could go faster. I will check tire pressure too - good advice, thanks. I read about Buddy 50s hitting 45, so I hoped mine would too… guess not. Not that it matters much.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Weight plays into top speed as well. I'm on the chunky side at 225 pounds, just under 6 feet. My friend, who's short and light, gets on the same scooter and it goes noticeably faster. He's built like a horse jockey. Also adding a windshield will help with top speed a bit.

But let the scooter get completely broken in. Stay on top of maintenance and run good oil in it. I like Yamalube 2S, but Genuine sells their house brand now that's pretty good. Note that a Buddy 50cc is a gateway drug into a Buddy 125 or a Vespa next, or a smaller motorcycle.
Scootergoddess

Post by Scootergoddess »

I have the Cuppini windscreen on my scooter, and I am like 5’3 and a half and all of 115 lbs, so I can’t be the reason she won’t go faster… but I have her first maintenance scheduled already. Thanks so much for all the feedback!
tenders

Post by tenders »

Top speed of 42 by GPS sounds to me like a derestricted stock Buddy 50 in perfect condition. A theoretical friend driving with you in in a Metropolitan will eventually get to that speed, yes, but will be smelling your exhaust the entire time - off the line, up hills, etc. - and will complain to you about it while you wait for them to catch up every 15 minutes or so.