New buddy 50 steering seems twitchy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

decro

New buddy 50 steering seems twitchy

Post by decro »

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a new Buddy 50 and have put on just over 100 miles. Since the beginning, the steering seems twitchy (for lack of a better term). It's not "lose" per say. There is no play. It just seems like there is very little resistance. I can feel uncomfortable letting go with one hand while steering to adjust a helmet visor or rear view mirror, or even wave when traveling at speed 30+ (I can get about 40mph accounting for the optimistic speedometer).

I am not the most experienced rider but I have ridden electric scooters, some motorcycles (the latest was my sons grom over a few weekends), multiple bicycles over a lifetime etc.....

Is this just their nature because of the wheel base and ten inch tires, or could this have been a dealer prep issue?

Thx in advance for any help.
tenders

Re: New buddy 50 steering seems twitchy

Post by tenders »

Make sure the tire pressure is 28-30psi, and make sure the wheels are true (ie they don’t wobble as you spin them when they’re off the ground). People call scooters with small wheels “twitchy” because they turn easily and in a tight radius - but they don’t twitch when driving straight.
decro

Post by decro »

The tire pressure was at 20psi front and 18 rear. Taking it to 28psi seems to have helped. I am pretty sure the scooter was prepped that way since it has handled the same way in its brief service, at least until today. Thx
tenders

Post by tenders »

Appalling that a Buddy left a dealer with 18-20psi in the tires. I keep my tires at 30psi, and my rear tire valve has a slow leak (due to a bluetooth TPMS module that is difficult to mount in small tires - I don't recommend it). But I can tell when the pressure goes below 25psi, and I don't like the feeling.