greets & salutations

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

tonelar

greets & salutations

Post by tonelar »

long time reader / first time caller
so happy with my 150 buddy (especially with current gas prices)
i hope yall are having a scooting summer

tony

ps i recently overheard someone telling another to check oil by “not screwing the dipstick into the buddy 125”. i was of the belief that you threaded the dipstick in (and then removing) to get your reading.
scootERIK

Re: greets & salutations

Post by scootERIK »

tonelar wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:05 pmps i recently overheard someone telling another to check oil by “not screwing the dipstick into the buddy 125”. i was of the belief that you threaded the dipstick in (and then removing) to get your reading.
The following is my opinion on the subject.

Scooter is a Buddy 125

My current procedure for checking my oil is, with the scooter on the centerstand on level ground, I run the engine for 2 minutes, let sit for 2 minutes, then remove dipstick and wipe it clean, stick straight in till it bottoms out, then remove and look at oil level. I don't screw the dipstick in. Using this method I like to have the oil at roughly the green arrow in the picture below. When it starts to go below the orange arrow I will add a little, but I don't think having the oil level even 1 or 2 more notches don't will hurt, I just like to keep my oil level high so if I go on a long ride it is ready to go. On the other hand using this method if I fill it above the yellow my engine seems to use more oil.

If I am lazy or in a hurry I will check my oil with the engine cold. If the scooter has sat for the night on the centerstand I clean the dipstick and insert it without threading it in, the remove and check the level. When I check the oil this way the oil level needs to be at least green arrow, ideally past the yellow arrow.

This might not be the right way but I have been using it for a few years now. Before doing it this way I used to use the same procedure except I would full thread the dipstick in. When fully threaded in I liked to keep it right near the top(at the yellow arrow or higher.) Most places in the Genuine manuals it doesn't mention a "proper" way to check the oil. But I saw something about not threading the dipstick in so I changed.

Again this is my opinion- I think both methods are fine the important part is that you see oil on the dipstick. I would suggest trying to keep the oil between 1/2 and 3/4 up the skinny part of the dipstick no matter which method you use. If I remember right when I tested the difference between thread and not threaded was about two notches(the distance between the yellow and orange arrows in the picture.)

*For reference I used the threaded in method on my first engine and it lasted over 40k and I have been using the no-thread method on my current engine which has over 40k on it.
tonelar

Re: greets & salutations

Post by tonelar »

thanks for your opinion, Erik. your method is how I learned to check honda and yamaha scooters (as well as many motorcycles).

so you are saying the PGO (genuine) buddy’s oil level is not checked the way vespa scooters are checked?

Edited to add: Genuine Buddy are built by Piaggio Group Overseas. I just got this from 2 service shops (7/21) Check Genuine Buddy scooters’ oil (by threading in) like Vespa scooters.