Clutch spring for Buddy 125

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

SnowATree

Clutch spring for Buddy 125

Post by SnowATree »

Is there any benefit to upgrading the large clutch spring to the yellow spring while leaving the stock tiny springs in? I’m changing the variations to dr pulley with 11g weights and a Kevlar belt. Wondering if I would get an imbalanced clutching if I didn’t change the tiny ones to yellow too.
DeeDee

Re: Clutch spring for Buddy 125

Post by DeeDee »

What are you shooting for? Are you bored, and have extra money to play with? Buddy 125 is dialed in nicely from the factory. A lot of us replace the rollers with dr. pulley sliders and call it a day. That Bando belt that comes with the scooter is about the best you can buy. My bone stock 125 w/12,000 miles has 9 gram sliders. It runs like a raped ape from 0 to 40, and will hit an honest 60 on a long downhill. 60 is a bit too much for me on 3.5" wide little tires. What's going on with your clutch that makes you want to change it?
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
SnowATree

Post by SnowATree »

Hey DeeDee, thanks for your reply. I only wanted to make it faster since I average around 42-46 mph. But based on your reply it seems like the variator change is enough with 11g weights. I don’t have any reason to change the clutch so I’ll leave it alone, saves me the trouble of taking that bolt out and compressing the assembly with c clamps
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

SnowATree wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:47 pm I only wanted to make it faster since I average around 42-46 mph.
Are you saying that your top speed is 42-46 mph or that you spend most of your time riding at 42-46mph?

If you mainly ride at 42-46 mph and want to lower your RPMs a little bit you could try a set of 12 gram rollers, they won't really make you faster, some people have claimed to have picked up 1-3 mph of top speed. When I did it I lost some top speed. Also, I thought it didn't accelerate as quickly. But the 12 gram rollers were good for cruising at 45 mph since it would go 45 mph with less engine RPMs.

If your scooter maxes out at 42-46 mph then you probably have something wrong. I would start by looking at the carb diaphragm. Depending on mileage a fresh belt might help a little with top speed.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I'd start even more basic than the diaphragm. Check your tire pressure, engine oil, air filter and spark plug. I've seen plenty of people start tossing money away on performance mods when their tires had 12lbs of pressure in them. I run my rear at 34 and the front at 32. Do not overfill the engine oil or gear oil. A proper 125 should cruise happily along at 50 w/ a bit of throttle left.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Or a sticking front brake caliper. Rare on a Buddy because the quality is good but still check to see if the front wheel spins free.
SnowATree

Post by SnowATree »

scootERIK wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:30 am
SnowATree wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:47 pm I only wanted to make it faster since I average around 42-46 mph.
Are you saying that your top speed is 42-46 mph or that you spend most of your time riding at 42-46mph?

If your scooter maxes out at 42-46 mph then you probably have something wrong. I would start by looking at the carb diaphragm. Depending on mileage a fresh belt might help a little with top speed.
My max now, after replacing only the variator with the DrPulley system with 11g is about 45mpg on the speedo. Before it'd max out at 50 on the speedo. I cleaned the carb (the hanging needle had a couple gunk circles but I cleaned it out and fitting it properly so it's a tight seal). I also have a brand new belt in there, angle is 30 not 28 but that shouldn't make too big a difference. I got a kevlar one, same dimensions and the original besides the angle, from Bando, made in Japan.
DeeDee wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:25 am I'd start even more basic than the diaphragm. Check your tire pressure, engine oil, air filter and spark plug. I've seen plenty of people start tossing money away on performance mods when their tires had 12lbs of pressure in them. I run my rear at 34 and the front at 32. Do not overfill the engine oil or gear oil. A proper 125 should cruise happily along at 50 w/ a bit of throttle left.
I wish this were the problem. I replaced the air filter, new spark plug, replaced gear and engine oil (75% filled on the twist off gage). Tire's were pumped to about 30, I have 10k on the bike and original tires, maybe it's loosing pressure, I'll check that out and see if it's anything with that.
sc00ter wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:50 pm Or a sticking front brake caliper. Rare on a Buddy because the quality is good but still check to see if the front wheel spins free.
I haven't verified this yet, I'll see if it spins free tonight and get back to you.
tenders

Post by tenders »

Can’t say I’m surprised that the belt geometry change and the half-gram decrease in weight of the sliders compared to the OEM rollers has detuned the scooter. Put the proper belt back on and see how she runs. Conventional wisdom is that the sliders should be 10% lighter than the rollers but I’m sure many others have specific experience with sliders on the 125.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Are you sure the sliders are installed correctly?
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-07-06 7.58.58 AM.png
Screenshot 2022-07-06 7.58.58 AM.png (148.46 KiB) Viewed 916 times
SnowATree

Post by SnowATree »

DeeDee wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:00 pm Are you sure the sliders are installed correctly?
tenders wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:49 am Can’t say I’m surprised that the belt geometry change and the half-gram decrease in weight of the sliders compared to the OEM rollers has detuned the scooter. Put the proper belt back on and see how she runs. Conventional wisdom is that the sliders should be 10% lighter than the rollers but I’m sure many others have specific experience with sliders on the 125.
I did install it correctly, so it turns out my rubber diaphragm on the top of the carb (under the black cap) was not sealed and did not have suction. Over time it shrunk and needed to be stretched a little with grease and it's not working properly. Am easily going over 50 mph with some throttle left. Max out at 65 on the speedo now. Thanks everyone for the advice and time!
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Your stick-to-itvness paid off. Many of us here have come up against an unseated diaphragm before. I'm at the point now I will always use a smear of grease around the lip, even on a new diaphragm.