Trike

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Buddaboy182

Trike

Post by Buddaboy182 »

I’m a wheelchair user, and I can’t afford a Harley or a Can-Am Spyder. And really, those bikes would be overkill because I don’t drive that much. I see that Tow-Pac has a trike kit that will fit the 170i. What are your thoughts on that? Does the 170i have enough power for a trike kit?
scootERIK

Re: Trike

Post by scootERIK »

Here are a couple of threads on the Tow-pac

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27695

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27899&start=50
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Hey Buddaboy, welcome to the forum. Not sure your location but if you happen to be near Richmond, VA I gave the Tow Pac kit to ScootRichomnd/MotoRichmond. They did install it on someones Buddy but I never asked, or heard, any results. You never know, it may be up for sale again. If your'e near Norfolk, VA my wifes old Silverwing trike is up for sale at Honda of Norfolk. We'll take $7000 so ignore the crazy asking price. It has a Motor Trike kit installed. Was fully serviced before the kit. Fast, fun and reliable but my wife retired and quit riding. We don't even ride double anymore. Getting old I guess? Anyways, good luck on your quest. Reach out with any questions.
Last edited by sc00ter on Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

And I forgot. Yes, a Buddy 170 will do just fine with a Tow Pac kit. It's just I have a hard time recommending them because they sold us a incorrectly made product and told me to rig it. We then had bolts snapping and no solution offered. It was just a poor quality experience. The Buddy did run it just fine power wise. The Buddy 125 my wife had was bone stock. I did install a kevlar drive belt, slightly lighter rollers and a vented clutch bell. Oh, and a over-sized front rotor because the extra weight of the kit makes it go and stop like you have a passenger on the back full time.
Racie35

Post by Racie35 »

Towpacs aren't really trikes, they're more like scooters with training wheels on em. Trikes have just three wheels.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Outriggers is the correct term. The TowPac did ride smooth compared to a traditional trike, because each rear wheel still has independent suspension. And no need for a diff for going around turns. Now the Motor Trike on my wifes Silverwing was nice. The straight axle made the ride a bit bumpy on bad roads but everything else with that conversion was top quality.