Poor Buddy wont start

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

SnowATree

Poor Buddy wont start

Post by SnowATree »

Hi Everyone,

I just replaced my spark plug, battery, changed the gear and engine oil but my 2008 Buddy 125 won't start. It'll start revving (or the correct word I can't think of) but it won't start. Then I noticed this tube out, any idea where it goes? I can't find the right place for it that receives a tube end. Can anyone look at theirs and see where it ends or is connected to?

https://imgur.com/a/YiKoeaM
Pictures of the tube in question

DeeDee

Re: Poor Buddy wont start

Post by DeeDee »

That hose is supposed to be there. It is the drain for the carburetor bowl.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
SnowATree

Post by SnowATree »

Just realized that with my wife’s help. So I cleaned the carb and replaced it now and before starting it should I clean out the fuel tank? It’s been sitting with almost no gas for many years, visually I don’t see rust.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Tank is empty? Is it steel or plastic? I would clean it out. I would pull the petcock, and fish out the inlet strainer. Clean it out w/ carb cleaner. Put some stong duct tape over the fuel tap hole and pour some Chem-tool, Seafoam, or other carb cleaner in there, about a pint. Put the gas cap back on and shake the daylights out of it. Side to side, front, to back, up & down. Remove the gorilla tape and see what comes out. If it's full of crap, repeat.
Replace your inline fuel filter before you refill with gas and go to start.
SnowATree

Post by SnowATree »

It’s plastic, I’ll do that with plastic then?
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

It's been sitting that long, you should flush out what ever crap is in there. I'd still pull the petcock and inlet strainer. Maybe use 4 oz of carb cleaner. Slosh it around. See what drains out. You can buy a 1/4" inline small engine flter at any auto parts store. Replace that as well. Where's my Ramone's swag?
SnowATree

Post by SnowATree »

Did the recommended, though I didn't take out the tank, I just popped a wheelie and shook it around. I think that'll be sufficient, drained the fuel and it's clear so I think I'm in the clear too. Thank you for your suggestions.

Side question, I'm only topping out at 45 MPH now, I believe it's because of the throttle calibration I did, I have to make it more taught to go faster right? I correct myself, the throttle pulls that moving device to its limit, so I don't think that's the cause.

After some more research, it seems like it could be a couple things, the connection between the the hose that's not the air intake hose, (what's that called?) or it could be or the 1/4" inline fuel filter which I haven't replaced yet. Is that simple enough to reach? Any video you guys might have saved in a playlist on the tube?