buddy performance upgrades

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Ninebark

buddy performance upgrades

Post by Ninebark »

New to the buddy and scooter world as of last year. Did a lot of cosmetic changes to to my '13 170i last year, now looking to up the performance a little this year. Thanks in advance to all the knowledgeable people on this site, I have already learned a ton. As of right now I plan on adding the ncy performance trans kit, new belt, and ncy exhaust. Once I figure out which wight rollers I like, I will add the dr. pully sliders.

My question is... has anyone used the new no-fin ncy variator face that come with the new kit inside a closed buddy trans compartment? I have seen videos of people buttoning up their trans case with that face on there. I would think that face is for the people running an open transmission. I ordered the fin (fan) face as an add on to the kit given I want to run mine closed. Just curious if anyone is running the no-fin in a closed environment as I'm told the performance/RPM matches the clutch springs that came in the kit better. But it will probably have heat issues in a closed compartment.

Second question... is anyone running the new ncy 1000-1044 rear shock? Does it truly have effective dampening? They say it is the same shock that came on the Blackjack and Psycho, but the there is no orange dampening knob like on the original version. I am very familiar with this concept and it's advantages as I had over 2k in shocks on my last motorcycle. Also how about the shock with the reservoir that came on the Buddy Riot and Eclipse, it is still available for purchase, but the vender cannot tell me whether is has dampening adjustment or not. Same with the 1000-1044 mentioned above, three calls to venders and they act like they do not know what shock dampening is. If either shock work like shocks I have had is the past, I think the money is worth it to be able to dial the dampening stiff with you want performance, and a little softer when you wan to cruise. Or just find a sweet spot and leave it alone. OK.. that was a bunch of questions.

Thanks again, who knew Id become an amateur cvt technician this weekend thanks to this forum and a few youtube videos...
wheelbender6

Re: buddy performance upgrades

Post by wheelbender6 »

I'm afraid I cannot answer your questions.
I do want to ask you how your Buddy is running after adding the exhaust and CVT mods.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Ninebark

Post by Ninebark »

wheelbender6 ..
I did not get a chance to install either the trans kit or the exhaust yet. It was too cold here in MN last weekend. This weekend is supposed to be wormer, but my GF has plan for me as well. I hope at the very least to get the exhaust on this weekend. I want to test in between both installs anyway, this way I can determine the cause of issue and/or gains separately. I'll post results one after installs.
Ninebark

Post by Ninebark »

I have installed the NCY exhaust. Sounds great and runs great. No intake or CVT work yet. Hopefully the I'll get the NCY performance trans kit in this weekend. I really have not noticed any gains by adding the exhaust on the limited riding I have done. Its just been too cold to really test thoroughly.

I also bought and installed the NCY 1000-1044 rear shock. It does have the dampening I was hoping for. 26 clicks to move the needle in or out of the hole to control oil flow of which controls the dampening/rebound. Currently I have the dampening set right in the middle and plan to test moving the needle both ways in the next few weeks. Just to cold to ride as stated above. But I can report that this shock has some amazing pre-load adjustments. I started with the pre-load all the way off. Sitting on the bike made the backseat like a trampoline. If you like a soft squishy ride, this is your ticket. The shock set this way was about 90% compressed just from my body weight. It took me about 20min to get the p-load set for my weight of which I now have the shock compressed about 30% with my weight fully on the backseat. It feels stiff and responsive, but still cushions bumps better than the stock shock. I love it already but cant wait to really dial it in with the dampening adjustment in the next few weeks.