How to Replace 170i Ignition Switch?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Cortiz108

How to Replace 170i Ignition Switch?

Post by Cortiz108 »

So I decided to just buy a new ignition switch rather than mess around with blank keys and a locksmith.

Is there some kind of instruction manual on how to remove the old switch and install the new one? Is it a fairy easy thing to do, or should I just let the shop guys do it?

I did find a video online about Chinese scooters, but it looks like a pretty different assembly.

Thanks.
DeeDee

Re: How to Replace 170i Ignition Switch?

Post by DeeDee »

So you just remove the front legshield, I think PGO calls it windshield. Unplug the harness at the old one, remove the old one, and install the new one. Not much to get wrong if you bought the correct replacement.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
Cortiz108

Post by Cortiz108 »

Thanks @DeeDee. So I don't need any special tools or anything? Is the seat-latch thing easy to attach?

I'm 99% sure I got the right part - it was from Scooter Lounge and I double-checked the part number on other sites. The plastic plate looks identical.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

It's been a while since I have been in there. You might need a torx bit. Read up here to dial in your seat latch: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1814&hilit=latch+seat+adjust
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
Cortiz108

Post by Cortiz108 »

In case anyone stumbles on this in the future, this is a way more complicated job than I realized because so much of the plastic has to be removed to get to the bottom screw of the ignition switch. Not just the front of the bike, but also the whole section behind it which is not easy. My neighbor's going to do it for me. We works on motorcycles.