Buddy 170i Lost Keys

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Cortiz108

Buddy 170i Lost Keys

Post by Cortiz108 »

Hi there. Thanks for letting me in!

I left my scooter in the care of a family member for a year, and she can't find the keys. :-x I'm confused about my options, after reading some stuff here and elsewhere.

Is it actually possible to buy blanks like these http://www.scooterloungeonline.com/product/ES55B010000 or these https://powersportsoutlet.com/key-blank ... s55b010000 and have a local locksmith cut them if he has access to the ignition?

--- Or do I have to buy a new ignition switch? If so, is there a generic version or does it have to be the OEM? I'm bummed about the prospect of paying $100+ for one, plus installation and the other repairs the scooter needs (someone knocked it over and the steering isn't aligned straight anymore!).
Cortiz108

Re: Buddy 170i Lost Keys

Post by Cortiz108 »

Okay, let me ask this another way: Has anyone successfully had a locksmith make new keys from PGO blanks and the ignition cylinder? I found a local guy who thinks he can do it for $50. The keys will cost around $20 for 2 including shipping + "around $50" for the locksmith.

The new ignition switch will cost $100.

It would be nice to save that extra $30, especially since the scooter needs other work. But I'm not totally convinced the locksmith can do it.
Racer50

Post by Racer50 »

Ask you local Genuine dealer if they can get you a cut key from the VIN or the number stamped on the ignition switch. Worth a try, or else buy the blanks and have the locksmith cut your keys.
2022 Roughhouse 50
Cortiz108

Post by Cortiz108 »

Yeah, no luck with the local or calling Buddy themselves. They told me to but a new ignition.
Racer50

Post by Racer50 »

I had brought an old bike once without a key. I took the metal cover off and removed the lock pins. I could then use a different key from a similar bike to run it. I think a blank would work with any key that fit in also without the pins. Then you could just match a hardware store key to it that fit the slot. No security there but if someone wants the bike they will just grab it anyway.
2022 Roughhouse 50