No oil screen or spring!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

eggsalad

No oil screen or spring!

Post by eggsalad »

I must confess. I'm a horrible person for not having changed the oil in my Buddy in the two years since I bought it - and I don't know how long before that it was changed. In my defense, I've only ridden a few hundred miles since purchase, and the oil came out really clean.

What did not come out from under the main oil drain (it's a Prima, dunno if that matters, but it was nice to find!) was a spring or a screen, as expected via the service manual and video I watched. I stuck my finger up there and looked best I could with a mirror, and no, it's not stuck in the sump.

So what's a fellow to do?

(a) put it back together, fill it with oil, and be on my merry way? After all, it's been running like this for goodness knows how long, and it's not like the screen is the only filter on this engine.

(b) stop what I'm doing, and park the bike for an indeterminate amount of time until I can order a screen and spring. (And if this is the choice, are these two parts interchangeable with generic GY6 parts?)

Thanks!
DeeDee

Re: No oil screen or spring!

Post by DeeDee »

I bought an '08 at the end of last summer. It had 7,200 miles on it. The oil on the dipstick still more red than black, so I rode it until 8,000 to do an oil change. Mine had no strainer. The spring was there, but it was empty. I waited until I got the replacement to put it back together. Are you changing the canister filter with this change? If you need the scooter for transportation, put it back together without the screen and spring. Drain the oil into a clean jug when you get the parts, install them and refill.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

Yeah, it's not my sole transportation, so I'll let it sit.

Meanwhile, I found a complete set for a GY6 (including cap and o-ring) for $8 shipped from the USA. and from the photo, I'm 90% sure the GY6 bits will fit the Buddy... but before I order, can someone confirm that, please?
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Call Nevada Powersports 1419 N Boulder Hwy, Henderson, NV, 89011, and see if they have them in stock. It will cost a little more, but you will be 100% sure it fits.

(702) 540-8869
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

Pete may or may not have them in stock. I'll swing by.
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

In the absence of a response, I did some research. The Prima magnetic oil drain kit is said to fit GY6 and Genuine engines (among others) so I went ahead and ordered that $8 generic GY6 kit from eBay. Should be here by Monday. I'll report back.
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

To answer my own question, perhaps for future readers...

Yes, generic GY6 oil drain cap, spring, and screen fit Buddy engines just fine.

The issue with the Prima magnetic drain cap is that the magnet takes up some of the space that the spring wants to use, so it is a bit of a struggle to get the threads on the drain plug/cap started. But it is totally doable.