NBR - Living with a Buddy-Class Electric (UK)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

NBR - Living with a Buddy-Class Electric (UK)

Post by jrsjr »

I enjoyed this article about living with a Buddy-Class Sunra electric scooter in London. It's very interesting and touches more on what it's like to transition to an electric. The Sunra was their bike of choice because the batteries (there are two) are removable and have a separate charger. The article is an easy read with lots of pics. Enjoy!

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/advice/i ... -city-use/
wheelbender6

Re: NBR - Living with a Buddy-Class Electric (UK)

Post by wheelbender6 »

Looks like fun. The rear hub motor prevents it from needing a drive chain or belt.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

My next scoot will absolutely be electric. No question about it. My Genuine dealer has a few NIU scooters in stock, but the 150cc-class version is about 5 grand out the door. That's a bit stiff for my tastes, but prices are dropping as competition grows. When a good 150cc-class electric scooter can be had for $3500, I'll sell my Buddy 150 and never look back.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I am still waiting on that Sondors Metacycle to go on sale. It could be a nice commuter for me.
https://electrek.co/2021/11/19/exclusiv ... otorcycle/
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

wheelbender6 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:42 am I am still waiting on that Sondors Metacycle to go on sale. It could be a nice commuter for me.
I understand that the scooter form factor has a sort of wimpy reputation in the US, but for the intended purpose of commuting, the cargo space of a scooter makes so much more sense... unless you commute with nothing more than a cell phone, or want to wear a backpack every day.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

This is getting closer to what would actually lure me to an EV scooter. That "something" is true 125/150cc performance. I'd say 50 mph and a max range of 84 miles plus removable battery packs is just about there. Jazz up the battery pack a little more to reach 55 mph or so and approaching 100 mile range - bingo!
Last edited by Dooglas on Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buddy Kick, Vespa GTS/ABS, Buddy 125 (my SO's ride)
enzomatik

Post by enzomatik »

I really like the idea of a 150cc class electric scooter, it would be especially cool to see the battery swap options they have in Taiwan so you can just roll up to a station and refill. These things would be so damn affordable if they saw anything close to the subsidies electric cars get.