Using Genuine Genuine 15w40 over REAL Generic 15W40 oil?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Ipso_no_facto

Using Genuine Genuine 15w40 over REAL Generic 15W40 oil?

Post by Ipso_no_facto »

So, I know this is kind of a stupid question and one that will reveal the depth of the brainwashing that over the years marketing firms have done to me, but does anyone REALLY think you should REALLY use only GENUINE brand scooter oil? Shipping costs make a quart of Genuine brand oil more expensive than the oil itself at least to where I live. On the other hand, I could ride on down to a Honda dealership and buy Valvoline brand 15w40 or Lucas brand and pick up some for a quarter of the price of getting Genuine oil shipped to me. Plus, have it now instead the 4-5 days of UPS travel. This will be my 3rd oil change on my bike. Just curious if anyone could make the argument that I should really wait and pay thru the nose, it will be worth it in the long run. I will look at them askance at first, but if the argument is sound, I will ride out tonight and pay heed to their words in the form a cash purchase.
sc00ter

Re: Using Genuine Genuine 15w40 over REAL Generic 15W40 oil?

Post by sc00ter »

My opinion:

Our scooters don't require motorcycle specific oil because we don't have a wet clutch. If you scooter is under warranty still, buy and use what they recommend. And if you change it yourself, keep receipts and good records. I sold my Buddy with 30,000 miles, and all were done with Wally World brand cheap oil. Not always changed on time either. I liked my Buddy.

My Liberty is no longer under warranty but I still use the oil Piaggio recommends. Coming up on 24,000 miles. Pretty much serviced to the letter and date. I love my Liberty.

So this is oil in a nut shell. Your scooter holds around a quart of oil. Not a huge deal to do yourself or high cost to pay a shop. Get whatever if you like it, buy the best if you love it.

Others will surely chime in with their opinions.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Rotella T4 is on the shelf at most Walmarts. $14 per gallon. It sells out quick once it's on the shelf. The Walmart I go to stocks the auto section Wednesday through the night.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

DeeDee wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:24 am Rotella T4 is on the shelf at most Walmarts. $14 per gallon. It sells out quick once it's on the shelf. The Walmart I go to stocks the auto section Wednesday through the night.
I'll second this recommendation. My first Buddy 125 engine went over 44k running Rotella T4 15w-40 oil, current engine has over 35k running it. I will also say it sells out fast, it took multiple trips to get a gallon last fall.
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

Here's my opinion, and it's worth every penny you've paid for it.

These are not high-performance engines, and not engines that are designed to last 100,000 miles. Quite the opposite, in fact. The engine is designed to be simple, durable, and easy to maintain. The same basic design is used in all manner of scooters operated in 3rd world countries. It's not fancy.

Any modern-spec oil is good enough for these engines, assuming you get something close to the prescribed viscosity. When Pep Boys was going out of the retail parts business, I bought 5 quarts of their house-brand 10W40 for a buck a piece. And it's 100% fine.