How to improve performance of my Buddy KICK?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Ipso_no_facto

How to improve performance of my Buddy KICK?

Post by Ipso_no_facto »

So, I have a 2021 Buddy Kick that I am quite happy with. It's so much quicker than I expected a 125cc bike to be, but now that Iam used to its quickness, I want it to go faster. Anybody out there know of or have done a high-performance upgrade on a KICK? I know that aftermarket products exist for the regular Buddy 125 but do any exist for the KICK? Anything to get a few more clicks on the speed ticker? A better muffler? Or what about improvements to the CVT, weights etc? I am bored and want to learn how to do it, more than I expect it to go any faster. Just anything for the KICK really. If anybody has any suggestions on this, I'd really appreciate it.
wheelbender6

Re: How to improve performance of my Buddy KICK?

Post by wheelbender6 »

The regular Buddy 125 (not Kick) can use some performance parts intended for the Chinese GY6.
-Unfortunately I do not know if the Kick engine can use GY6 speed parts.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I found this performance pipe. Not much else.
https://www.scooterworks.com/NCY-Sport- ... gIrTPD_BwE
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

My experience has been that "performance" parts for 4T scooters really don't result in much in the way of performance increases. I own a Kick and enjoy it as an around town and errand ride. On the other hand, when I am ready for a ride in the countryside and on rural highways, I roll out my Vespa GTS. Now there is a performance increase!
Buddy Kick, Vespa GTS/ABS, Buddy 125 (my SO's ride)
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

So, the number one thing you can do is be sure your tires are properly inflated. They can be down to 12lbs and still look full. I usually run them 5lbs over what's in the owner's manual. Be sure you have a clean and properly gapped plug. Also be sure the engine oil is not over filled. I've seen people try and pour an even quart in a buddy 125. If you can do the work yourself, Dr. Pulley Sliders usually help some. Crisper take off and low to mid range power. Maybe squeak a mile or two more out on the top end. I don't know if I would pay to have them installed.
Ipso_no_facto

Post by Ipso_no_facto »

Thanks, this one at Scooterworks is the only thing for the Kick I've seen too. You know anything about what needs to be done to the fuel mixture once you install a new hi-pro exhaust? Someone told me that you have to change the fuel injection settings if you do this to your bike. I could change the jets on a carb but the Kick is fuel injected and I dont even know how you go about changing it on that.
Ipso_no_facto

Post by Ipso_no_facto »

DeeDee wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:27 pm So, the number one thing you can do is be sure your tires are properly inflated. They can be down to 12lbs and still look full. I usually run them 5lbs over what's in the owner's manual. Be sure you have a clean and properly gapped plug. Also be sure the engine oil is not over filled. I've seen people try and pour an even quart in a buddy 125. If you can do the work yourself, Dr. Pulley Sliders usually help some. Crisper take off and low to mid range power. Maybe squeak a mile or two more out on the top end. I don't know if I would pay to have them installed.

Thanks man, I'll check these things out. I too dont think I want to spend the money on doing the pulleys. I'd install the NCY hi-pro exhaust that's out for the kick cuz it itself would be an easy install, but changing the pulley sounds like a pain in the ass Im not ready for.
Ipso_no_facto

Post by Ipso_no_facto »

Dooglas wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:34 pm My experience has been that "performance" parts for 4T scooters really don't result in much in the way of performance increases. I own a Kick and enjoy it as an around town and errand ride. On the other hand, when I am ready for a ride in the countryside and on rural highways, I roll out my Vespa GTS. Now there is a performance increase!
Yeah, no shit. Out of curiosity what did you pay for that GTS? Did you buy it used?
Mr.FixIt

Post by Mr.FixIt »

How about a go-faster badge?
2022_02_03_08_22_17_Photos_Google_Photos.png
2022_02_03_08_22_17_Photos_Google_Photos.png (129.75 KiB) Viewed 2547 times

My friend put a pipe on hers, and it really sounds nice. Feeling faster is sometimes enough. :wink:
Eric
(aka Mr. Fix It)
Ipso_no_facto

Post by Ipso_no_facto »

Mr.FixIt wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:26 pm How about a go-faster badge?

2022_02_03_08_22_17_Photos_Google_Photos.png

My friend put a pipe on hers, and it really sounds nice. Feeling faster is sometimes enough. :wink:
Dig that badge. Did you shop that or is that real metal? Either way its gotta make the thing go faster. Id go for Sounding faster too.
Mr.FixIt

Post by Mr.FixIt »

Did you shop that or is that real metal?
Its 3D printed sprayed with chrome paint. It looks better in a photo than in real life.
Eric
(aka Mr. Fix It)
tenders

Post by tenders »

Mr.FixIt wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:23 pm It looks better in a photo than in real life.
Me too, MrFixIt. Me too.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I agree with much of the above. A performance exhaust may not add much power, but the engine feels more responsive and lively.
I like the burble in the exhaust sound during decel.

We have a member that installed a 161cc kit with a new piston, cylinder, head, cam, etc.
It made a crazy amount of power, but it is very expensive if you cannot do the mechanical work yourself.

I don't know if some of the Malossi kits will fit the Kick.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Ipso_no_facto wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:35 pm
Dooglas wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:34 pm On the other hand, when I am ready for a ride in the countryside and on rural highways, I roll out my Vespa GTS. Now there is a performance increase!
Yeah, no shit. Out of curiosity what did you pay for that GTS? Did you buy it used?
Bought it new in '15, the first year for 2 wheel ABS on the GTS. Got it at the end of the model year and paid about $6500 for it. In my opinion, the 300GTS is the best classic style scooter ever made. Not only has the power and the looks, but it has been as reliable as a toaster.
Buddy Kick, Vespa GTS/ABS, Buddy 125 (my SO's ride)
Ipso_no_facto

Post by Ipso_no_facto »

Yeah, that's too rich for my liver, let alone blood. If I could get one at the 3900$ level I'd be a player, but even that 2015 hasn't dropped to that yet in 2022. But, oh, how I do covet it my friend.
Ipso_no_facto

Post by Ipso_no_facto »

DeeDee wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:27 pm So, the number one thing you can do is be sure your tires are properly inflated. They can be down to 12lbs and still look full. I usually run them 5lbs over what's in the owner's manual. Be sure you have a clean and properly gapped plug. Also be sure the engine oil is not over filled. I've seen people try and pour an even quart in a buddy 125. If you can do the work yourself, Dr. Pulley Sliders usually help some. Crisper take off and low to mid range power. Maybe squeak a mile or two more out on the top end. I don't know if I would pay to have them installed.
You are so right about this my friend, and I am afraid I have learned it the most horribly hard way too. Just slipped my mind for months to check. It's an every other day commuter for me, so I rode it often with no concern for tire psi. 4 days ago, I am negotiating a stop sign as I enter into traffic, I make a quick decision, gun it left for all of its 11.1 hp and I fishtail all over the rode at 35mph. My rear tire just seemed to crumple and I got squirrelly for a second. Fortunately could tell right away what it was and got it to the side and even had sidewalk lip to get it up on to the sidewalk proper to wait and see wtf i was gonna do. I got family who came to my rescue with a pump and it held air no problem to get home.

So, was I just rolling on a low rear tire all this time and hadn't checked it in a while and it finely failed? Its not because I hit anything. Was it just acceleration on an already low tire and turning sharply at the same time? Well, whatever the answer to that question might ultimately be, I know I am going to have to do a dreaded rear tire change. Thats a long way to get to, Do you got any advice for a rookie drive-wheel tire changer? I've been doing all the maintenance on her so far. Oil changes and the top-case install, windshield etc were all done by me. But I am no mechanic, so I am certainly worried about taking it on. Probably gonna write real post on the subject to get everyone's advice too, but you seemed to have a handle on tire specs, so I figured I'd ask you. Do I have to be a Genuine certified tech to even try? Is there a special Torque wrench that only Genuine Corporate has? For now, it seems to hold enough air to get me to Dialysis and back, which aint far nor all that long. It was fine when I got out and drove it home. I have a pump that plugs into the general use port on the KICK that I bring with me, but that's no way to go thru life, constantly filling your tire. Plus with the rear off, wont Belt and roller inspection be a good idea, maybe replacement easier then too if needed? Ill already be there and ready to party after all. Any advice at all man. I appreciate your help.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Where are you? I change all my own tires, even snow tires on the cars with nothing but 3 small tire irons. It's not a job for the faint of heart. Hardest for me was getting the bead to seat on the car tire I mounted on the rear of my Burgman. At a bare minimum I would become well versed on removing and reinstalling your wheels. There is an ACE Hardware fairly close to me that will mount a small tire for $10 if you bring it into them. Most trailer repair shops, and small independent tire shopes can do this. Be sure to get the red dot close to the valve stem, and be sure the tire is spinning the correct direction. I've seen scooter tires so low on air the bead seat gave riding down the street. That's pretty darn low.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
tenders

Post by tenders »

Rear wheel/tire maintenance is independent of belt/roller/clutch maintenance. Wheel/tire action takes place to starboard; belt/roller/clutch is to port.