Deadlight to Running light harness

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mcan59

Deadlight to Running light harness

Post by Mcan59 »

I have a new 2022 125 and love it. I am interested in getting a wiring harness to turn my deadlights into LED running lights. Scooter West is out of stock, but hoping others may have one? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
eliu01

Re: Deadlight to Running light harness

Post by eliu01 »

I reverse engineered the Voodoo Scooter Parts BOB adapter when one of mine stopped working, per VSP's recommendation. I have a wiring diagram if you're interested in making your own. You would need to buy wire, some MOSFETs, and connectors, and need soldering skills to put everything together. VSP recommended using voltage regulators to insure the LEDs don't burn out, but I don't have any info on making those.
Mcan59

Post by Mcan59 »

Does any one sell one ready made? I don't currently have the equipment to make one.
BayStateScooterist

Post by BayStateScooterist »

Here is another option to keep an eye on. Currently out of stock. :(

https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... ht-harness
tenders

Post by tenders »

You're building something fairly complex if you're using MOSFETs - changing color, perhaps.

If all you want to do is have bright white LEDs in the deadlights, you don't need a kit. Just tap into the wires that are already running to the deadlights into the ignition power wire, and run the other deadlight wires to a convenient ground. They'll come on when you turn the key.

The kits are nice in that they have matching snap connectors that plug directly into existing Buddy wiring so you don't have to run a "tap" connector. But they're not nice to the point of being worth an indefinite wait.
eliu01

Post by eliu01 »

The BOB adapters convert the deadlights into running lights that are normally always on but also blinks them as turn signals, hence the need for MOSFETs. See VSP's video here: https://youtu.be/cuxokRa9gw4

I got the full combo package demonstrated here: https://youtu.be/nn2wtwPeTfg. This allows the deadlights and DOT turn signals to be always-on, and blink together when the turn signals are activated.

If all you want is to run them as always on deadlights then no complicated circuitry is needed. Just make sure you swap in LEDs so you don't run the battery down.
tenders

Post by tenders »

The simplest way to get the deadlight to flash is to add a wire with a diode between the positive side of the turn signal and the positive side of the deadlight. When (and only when) the turn signal flashes on, the deadlight will flash off.

Does the MOSFET make this better? Maybe it makes it easier to get the deadlight to flash in sync with the turn signal.
eliu01

Post by eliu01 »

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what the MOSFET does. I'm 30+ years past the time I studied engineering in college, so had to review how the MOSFETs used in the BOB adapter work, doing what they do to light and blink both lights in unison.
Mike1nw

Post by Mike1nw »

I did same thing to our 2009, tapped into orange wire below ign. switch. Used white LED bulbs, minimal voltage draw 🙂
TCaruso

Post by TCaruso »

I've had LED bulbs running in my dead lights as DRLs. I bought the harness years ago that connect right to the dead lights. I now want to remove the DOT lights hanging below the handlebars. I can easily unplug the DRL connector and plug in the turn signal connector and now they're turn signals only. But I'd like them to work as both DRL and turn signals.

Anyone have an idea on how to achieve that? The connector and DRL connector are both 2 wire. But to make this work I would somehow have to make it a 3 wire?
VSP

Post by VSP »

I used to sell the BOB Combo Adapter that achieves that. Maybe try the "for sale / wanted" section to see if anyone has one to sell.
Voodoo [voo-doo] -adjective. Claimed or reputed to provide an ingenious or seemingly magical solution to a problem. <A HREF="http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic29569.html">Get your VOODOO here</A>
rottekatz

Post by rottekatz »

What does the light socket look like? Could the 1156 socket be replaced with an 1157 socket? That would allow you to wire it as running lights and turn signal with minimal modification.
TYIA
My wife is considering a Buddy purchase and I am looking at mods. Doing a 2 hour test ride next Sunday.